Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2018 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Pro vs Expert Carbon

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 11:41 AM
Tickets17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Evaluating between the two. I understand the major component and price differences, but would appreciate any thoughts. I am not one who will tinker much with components after purchasing. Thanks!

Last edited by Tickets17; 03-25-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-25-18, 12:49 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nobody is ever sorry they bought the better one, finances permitting..... MHO

If you have a chnace to look at them side by side - which one trips your trigger?

Last edited by Wanderer; 03-25-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 04:43 PM
Tickets17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m dying to see what they look like in person. Really would like a good look at the expert.
Old 03-25-18, 06:29 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Skip on over to Google, and see if anyone posted them to images????
Old 03-28-18, 06:17 AM
desmodue

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not long ago I was standing where you are.

I had made every reasonable attempt to compare flat bar bikes from the Big 3. Unfortunately finding the exact models and sizes within 100 miles proved impossible. The local shop pushes Cannondale and Trek hard. The other shops I found with Specialized inventory had low end road and mountain bikes galore and a few of the $4-5K drop bar bikes.

My first hand test rides consisted of an aluminum frame Cannondale Quick and a Trek FX6 S. The only Sirrus I ever saw with my own eyes was a leftover aluminum framed rim brake model in what appeared to be a large or extra large frame size. Way too big for me to test ride and actually learn anything of value.

Any evaluation of the bikes by me would be suspect, my main concern was making sure I got the right size frame. I didn't see anything that was a huge positive or negative that would eliminate one or define the winner. Most likely because I don't have enough knowledge or experience to see it, but that's where I am.

I settled on the Sirrus Expert over the others because it has a threaded bottom bracket not a press fit. (and I just wanted a carbon frame) Maybe that is dumb, but I understand threaded brackets and am comfortable doing maintenance on them. So, it was a done deal, just walk in and order it right? Yeah...no.

Now that there was some focus the Pro came into the equation, because it's there. After comparing specs the standouts were the crankset and the seat post. The paint job issue is another matter and even though they are wildly different, I didn't really love or hate either one.

The seatpost on the Pro claims to offer some tiny bit of improvement on comfort. I like comfort. Is it any real advantage? I don't know but what the hell, check it in the plus column.

The crankset on the Pro is a notch higher than the Expert, bit lighter due to the hollow forged arms vs solid arms. That's another check in plus column but more importantly the Pro crankset is made from 7075 T6 vs 6061 on the Expert. Night and day difference in durability of those two alloys. Large check in the plus column, one that I absolutely know is true, not marketing hype.

I talked myself into the Pro. Although after ordering it, I immediately started second guessing my decision.

The mind is a terrible thing.

Last edited by desmodue; 03-28-18 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 08:14 PM
alexdi

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Pretty paint on the Pro. Otherwise, they might as well the same bike. Zertz in the post is worth about 5 PSI of tire pressure. $450? Only if there's a money tree out back.

Actually, the Elite's also about the same, less the "future shock." If you're spending most of your time on the road, save $1000, just buy that one.
Old 04-02-18, 10:25 PM
desmodue

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdi
Pretty paint on the Pro. Otherwise, they might as well the same bike. Zertz in the post is worth about 5 PSI of tire pressure. $450? Only if there's a money tree out back.

Actually, the Elite's also about the same, less the "future shock." If you're spending most of your time on the road, save $1000, just buy that one.
Yep, because all the roads are as smooth as glass and it's downhill both ways
Old 04-02-18, 10:41 PM
alexdi

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by desmodue
Yep, because all the roads are as smooth as glass and it's downhill both ways
Odd response. They all have the same frame, wheels, brakes, tires, and similar drivetrains. No weight difference worth mentioning. The middle bike has FS and top one has FS and Zertz. Zertz is barely noticeable with a comfortable seat. FS is more noticeable on some terrain, but the bike already has 30c tires. 35c tires get you most of the way there. Roads that need more than that sound like public works projects.
Old 04-05-18, 03:49 PM
desmodue

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdi
Odd response. They all have the same frame, wheels, brakes, tires, and similar drivetrains. No weight difference worth mentioning. The middle bike has FS and top one has FS and Zertz. Zertz is barely noticeable with a comfortable seat. FS is more noticeable on some terrain, but the bike already has 30c tires. 35c tires get you most of the way there. Roads that need more than that sound like public works projects.
Not nearly as odd as your obvious dismissal of the OP's actual request. He asked for evaluation/comparison between the Sirrus Expert and the Sirrus Pro, not if he needed your permission to consider either.
Old 04-05-18, 05:05 PM
alexdi

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by desmodue
Not nearly as odd as your obvious dismissal of the OP's actual request. He asked for evaluation/comparison between the Sirrus Expert and the Sirrus Pro, not if he needed your permission to consider either.
Between this post and your last, you too should have bought the base model. The difference would have been better spent on anger management.
Old 04-06-18, 02:48 PM
DaveTMpls

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tickets17
Evaluating between the two. I understand the major component and price differences, but would appreciate any thoughts. I am not one who will tinker much with components after purchasing. Thanks!
My suggestion is, buy the cheaper bike and spend the extra money to customize the bike to your requirements. It is amazing how much money you can spend on upgrades at a bike shop that carries all the Specialized accessories. I recommend swapping out the seat for a gel seat. I use my bike to commute to work, so I got a post-mounted pack for my work clothes. You can't use a post-mounted pack with a carbon post, so I traded it in for a steel post. You will surely want good LED lights, front and rear, preferably rechargeable. If you ride on city bike paths, you will want a bell. Etc. etc. etc.

Edit: One of the best things I did after a year or so was to buy slightly bigger, more durable tires. Sirrus Carbons are basically flat-bar road bikes, and they are not comfortable to ride on even slightly bumpy roads. Slightly bigger tires made a huge difference in the ride.

Last edited by DaveTMpls; 04-06-18 at 02:56 PM.