Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Prescription Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 01:55 PM
HipRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prescription Sunglasses

Finally need to get prescription sunglasses for riding. I have always bought cheap sunglasses since they get lost or dropped and break.

Any ideas on how to buy a pair without breaking the bank? On line, they seem to run more than $400 a pair.

Thanks
Old 04-05-18, 02:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Depends on what you want. Costco has pretty good prices if there's one near you. Alternately you could buy frames that take interchangeable lenses and have prescription lenses made. Then, at least, if you prescription changes, you only need to repurchase lenses and not a frame.
Old 04-05-18, 02:34 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Costco is a good balance of quality optometry and good prices, however I wouldn't exactly call their frame selection particularly stylish. I have a couple of pair from Costco. They're accurate progressive lenses, fit well and can take a beating. They're ugly, however.

I finally did order a pair of WileyX with progressive prescription lenses. Not cheap.
Old 04-05-18, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
The cheapest way is to go to a discount glasses store, Eyemart or the like. Get big frames with your prescription lenses. That's 95% as good as the "best" solution.

You can probably find some inexpensive cycling specific frames online, and have your local optician fit lenses into those.

All that falls apart if your prescription is over 6 diopters, though. Then you'll have to pay the big bucks for the high index lenses, or suffer from coke bottle lenses that won't fit into the majority of available frames, cycling specific or general
Old 04-05-18, 02:47 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Fitovers

Originally Posted by HipRider
Finally need to get prescription sunglasses for riding. I have always bought cheap sunglasses since they get lost or dropped and break.

Any ideas on how to buy a pair without breaking the bank? On line, they seem to run more than $400 a pair.

Thanks
Check out https://fitovers.com/. Their sunglasses are designed to go over your regular glasses. I used them for several years before I had my cataract surgery.

You can get better prices on Amazon for them.
Old 04-05-18, 06:08 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I'm happy with clip-on, flip ups.
Old 04-05-18, 06:16 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I had some extra medical dollars I had to use before I retired. I splurged on a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses. They were pretty pricey especially depending on what type lens you select. However they are super. I wore them every day on my cross country ride.

Old 04-05-18, 06:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Check out sites like Framesdirect.com-- I got my Wiley-X Valor frames with reflective prescription lenses, anti-reflective and anti-scratch coatings for about $225. Oakley makes superb lenses, but you get to pay for 'em-- I priced up a pair of Oakleys around the same time, and the lenses alone were $350.
Old 04-05-18, 07:09 PM
NABodie

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contacts with regular sunglasses over them!
Old 04-06-18, 04:29 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by HipRider
they seem to run more than $400 a pair
Man, I wish I could find effective cycling glasses in my prescription for only $400!
Old 04-06-18, 06:11 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Depending on how strong a prescription you need for correction, Tifosi makes wrap around cycling sunglasses, with several different levels of diopters correction available, in the bifocal portion of the lens. I need bifocals and was not able to front the cost of Rx sunglasses, the PBS we frequent had a Tifosi display rack and the owners had me try a pair out. For $40.00 it was money well spent, they aren't perfect but the +1.5 diopter correction/magnification is just about right for being able to read my watch, cyclocomputer and maps.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-06-18, 09:46 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
A relatively cheap option is to use sports style safety glasses that use a lens insert.

I've been using the Uvex Genesis model for a number of years and have been happy with it. The safety glasses themselves are only $11.65 (and extra lenses are also cheap), and the lens insert is $30.

The only additional cost is for the lenses themselves, and they can be purchased and fitted into the lens insert by your local optician. For single vision lenses, I think I paid less than $100.

I purchased the Uvex stuff from SafetyGlassesUSA.com
The glasses are here (just one of many options for lens and frame color):
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/geblfrdagrle.html

The lens inserts for the Uvex Genesis is here:
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/s3350.html

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-06-18, 10:19 AM
gda659

Bikes: Elephant Bikes NFE, Soulcraft Royale, DeSalvo Team Issue, 96 Stumpjumper Comp, Intense Tracer 29, Rans Rocket, Bike Friday NWT, 1978 Puch Royal X

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I tried Rx inserts in my Rudy Project Ekynox and Rydon frames. They suck. The inserts are too heavy, too small, and push the frame out too far. I had SportRx do in frame lenses and love them. I can get away with relatively inexpensive lenses in the Ekynox (<$100) but the curvature of the Rydons required a more precise grind and ran about $300. A little pricey, but very nice. Of course, these prices are on top of whatever you spend on the stock frames with plain lenses.

Last edited by gda659; 04-06-18 at 10:21 AM. Reason: More details
Old 04-06-18, 12:45 PM
civic04

Bikes: FX 2 Disc Stagger, jamis divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunglasses

Depends what you are looking for.
I bought a cheap pair from $39Dollarglasses.com for $50 they not the best looking but do the job, they have all types of frames and look online i found a coupon for $10 off when i ordered my last spring.
Old 04-06-18, 01:08 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Try online. I've gotten a few pair from Zenni Optical They have lots of different styles, and the service is ok. The glasses I've gotten work well, and I have no issues with my vision while wearing them for riding or driving. And you'l spend way less than $400. So if you lose them it's no big deal to order another pair. You will need your prescription information.
Old 04-06-18, 01:25 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I had some extra medical dollars I had to use before I retired. I splurged on a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses. They were pretty pricey especially depending on what type lens you select. However they are super. I wore them every day on my cross country ride.

I went with Oakley Prism Road Flak 2.0's and I think they were close to $500, but I like that I can swap out the lenses for clears if the ride goes long.
Old 04-06-18, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Whatever you get you are better off with shatterproof/resistant materials and design and no metal pins in the hinges. I saw a woman nearly lose her eye when she crashed and hit her face. The right earpiece broke and speared her very close to her eyeball. The wound was so bad she ultimately had to have plastic surgery.
Old 04-06-18, 01:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Whatever you get you are better off with shatterproof/resistant materials and design and no metal pins in the hinges. I saw a woman nearly lose her eye when she crashed and hit her face. The right earpiece broke and speared her very close to her eyeball. The wound was so bad she ultimately had to have plastic surgery.
I wear only all-metal frames (except the ear and nose pieces) for all my riding. Never broken a pair and Ihave crashed many times over the past 50 years. Bent up a few. I have pushed my glasses nto my face and gotten cuts. Never thought about breaking a pair in a crash until you posted. Given my track record, I'll take your observation as a note to stay all metal. (For sunglasses, I have had good luck with Ray Bans.)

I wrote this then realized I have a pair of Ray Ban glasses with CF temples I purchased for driving and now use for everything after I killed my riding glasses (not on me at the time). Guess I need to search out a new pair.

Ben
Old 04-06-18, 03:04 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I usually use costco and framesdirect

I have never had contacts.
Old 04-06-18, 04:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
Check out https://fitovers.com/. Their sunglasses are designed to go over your regular glasses. I used them for several years before I had my cataract surgery.
I use a similar product from Lenscovers. They work quite well, and don't cost much. The side protection on the glasses covers is quite nice, particularly in cold weather when wind blowing past the glasses made my eyes water profusely when I used clip-on sunglasses.
Old 04-06-18, 05:01 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I have a pair of flip-up Rudy Project Rx glasses. I don't use it for riding as I'm farsighted but use it for work (active). It has lasted me for years.
Old 04-06-18, 07:32 PM
tizeye 

Bikes: 1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Rudy Project Rydon's for years. Started with single (distance) lens and carried regular glasses for map reading. Technology has improved and can now do progressives on curved glasses. Also, the clip-in frame has improved as the earlier metal rattled and fogged where the current ones are non-metallic touch lens without rattle an haven't had fogging problem. Reason didn't get Oakleys and others is had a hard time paying for sunglasses with the "special glass" marketing tell you about...punch it out and put in Rx glass. Can replace scratched outer glass with Rudy Project's warranty, and no need to add the additional stuff like glare and scratch resistance when going behind the non-rx lens. I do get poly as basic plastic is too thick.

Don't find cost too bad and actually equals out to about the same as Costco. I have a personal vision plan with VSP which my optometrist (and fellow bike rider) accepts and happens to be a Rudy Project authorized dealer. Discount on new lens every year so one year applied it to the Rudy's as my current daily glasses were fine.
Old 04-06-18, 07:43 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have the Wal-Mart and the Wiley X brands, both with separate bifocals. I tried progressives and they were disorienting.

I would consider nothing except wraparounds. Think about what your vision is worth. A pebble from a vehicle could be serious.

Wal-Mart now has some as good as Wiley X and, I think, are unbranded Wiley's. IMHO Wal-Mart has been my best deal. I have no experience with Costco as I live in the boonies.
Old 04-06-18, 09:09 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Chances are, if you buy prescription lenses from a local OD, that OD orders them from Zenni Optical or an equivalent. They are very, very cheap. Here's a review.
Old 04-07-18, 02:45 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am going to try these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.