Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Please help! Buying advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 09:25 AM
AndresG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two days ago everything I new about bikes was what I saw at the big box stores, therefore, nothing!

After about 4-6 hours researching entry to mid level options I have decided that the best type of bike for what I want to do and my budget (under $500 dlls) is the Hybrid models. So far I have narrowed it to two options: the Specialized Sirrus V-brake (base model) recommended by my LBS and the Diamondback Trace dual sport based on online reviews.

I understand the difference from one brand to the other. Comparing both bikes, I can see value in both and I see a slight edge of the Trace dual sport because of its capability to ride on light trails with its added suspension; but because it is a brand I can find in Walmart, it makes me hesitant to spend $400+ on it.

Will I be able to ride the Sirrus on light gravel trails? Does any body has experience with the Trace dual sport model?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Andres.
Old 04-26-18, 10:08 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndresG
Two days ago everything I new about bikes was what I saw at the big box stores, therefore, nothing!

After about 4-6 hours researching entry to mid level options I have decided that the best type of bike for what I want to do and my budget (under $500 dlls) is the Hybrid models. So far I have narrowed it to two options: the Specialized Sirrus V-brake (base model) recommended by my LBS and the Diamondback Trace dual sport based on online reviews.

I understand the difference from one brand to the other. Comparing both bikes, I can see value in both and I see a slight edge of the Trace dual sport because of its capability to ride on light trails with its added suspension; but because it is a brand I can find in Walmart, it makes me hesitant to spend $400+ on it.

Will I be able to ride the Sirrus on light gravel trails? Does any body has experience with the Trace dual sport model?

Andres.
Since you're considering the Diamondback Trace, you should also consider the Giant Roam 3, which comes in at $490.
Old 04-26-18, 12:16 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Yes you can ride a Sirrus on gravel trails. You can technically ride a road bike with 23mm width tires, it will just be bumpy. Without checking, I think the Sirrus comes with 700x35 and they will be fine on gravel.
Old 04-26-18, 12:47 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The Giant Roam is nice, and so is the Specialized Crosstrail. Since you're already at the Specialized dealer, checkout a Crosstrail -- it (like the Giant Roam) are in the "dual sport" category, and Specialized makes a Crosstrail version with mechanical disc brakes for 500 bucks (up from the $430 Sirrus with rim brakes). The Sirrus comes with 32mm tires, and you'll want to keep them aired up high when on gravel/off road, especially if you're a heavier rider. More tire volume lets you run with lower pressures and still keep a similar rolling resistance and impact protection level as narrower tires. A 35mm tire would be better for gravel, and a 38mm tire (on the Crosstrail) would be even better.

Be sure to ride both types of bikes, though. I recently bought a Giant Roam, and it and the Escape rode COMPLETELY differently. Be sure that you're comfortable on the bike that you buy, no matter the brand.
Old 04-26-18, 02:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by AndresG

Andres.
What you get will depend on where you ride. If you're on pavement most of the time, I'd get the Sirrus. If you're doing a lot of trail riding, I'd get the Trace. Sirrus is a very pouplar all-around bike, and would be fine for some light off-road riding, just don't expect to do any death-defying stunts on it. Shocks like what the Trace has generally don't do very well on pavement; they tend to soak up your energy rather than transfer it to forward motion. I understand that lock-outs aren't 100%.

If you can, try to ride both bikes, and see which one loves you back. Good luck, and ride it like you stole it!
Old 04-26-18, 03:13 PM
AndresG

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for all your help and advice. I now have more good homework to do based on the recommended models. Hopefully I can decide on a bike this week and post the results...
Old 04-27-18, 07:42 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sirrus base with vbrakes that I use for commuting, city riding, and bike/gravel paths. I love it. I owned a crosstrail disc for 2 years prior and it was an just an ok bike imo. I know many love it and I can see why they do. Just not for me. It was much heavier than the sirrus due to the shock (which didn't do much imo). I ride much faster on the sirrus, even on bumpier roads and gravel which surprised me. The crosstrail does have room for wider tires. That said, I know my sirrus can handle very similar terrain as the crosstrail and is quicker and lighter. Test ride both of you can.
Old 05-06-18, 01:27 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
A cheap suspension fork is a turnoff, so I'd get the Specialized all day every day, but I'm biased.

The 32mm tires on the base Sirrus are a true 32mm and are very fat (I have 30s on my Sirrus which only look 2/3 as wide as the 32s, not sure what's up with that but my tires definitely don't measure 30mm wide whereas the 32s most likely really do...) and should handle gravel no problem.

What color/year Sirrus you looking at? Ws just at my LBS this morning and they had base Sirruses from like the last three years so there were lots of colors to pick from.