Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help me choose a bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 09:48 AM
rea5245

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me choose a bike

Hi,

Please help me choose a new bike. I ride 4 or 5 times a week in good weather only, for fitness and recreation. My rides are typically 8-12 miles, although once or twice a year I might do a 30 mile ride. The road I ride on is hilly, with one brutally steep stretch. I also go on packed dirt or even grass some times. My rides are leisurely; I'm not pushing for speed. I prefer flat handlebars. I like a comfy seat, like on the Trek Verve, but I know I can buy aftermarket seats, so that shouldn't be the only factor in my choice.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,
Bob
Old 05-03-18, 09:54 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Any local shops? If so, I recommend hitting one up and just seeing what they have and chatting with the sales staff. Make sure that the shop allows test rides, because it's crucial for your comfort later on. That's how I ended up with my Trek DS3 last year. Local dealer was awesome. They carried 3 big brands, Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. I took out probably a dozen different bikes and took my time riding and talking until I had the right one for me.
Old 05-03-18, 10:24 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I just bought a Trek Verve 2 and love it. My other bike is a Trek 4900 MTB. The Verve 2 tire is wider more like my MTB but rolls pretty nice on pavement. I really do like the upright position and the only thing I've changed is the grips. I put on Ergon GP5 grips which helped me out with wrist pain. My casual rides are a mix of paved MUP's and some gravel paths and the bike handles well on both. I am not out for speed either and I did use it to commute to work twice this week about 15 miles round trip. I have a hill that I do have to climb and did fine on the Verve. I am using the stock saddle that came on my Verve and as of now, no plans to upgrade it. You do feel the bumps on the Verve 2 due to the lack of suspension so I do have to watch it when I do have a bumpy section but it works well for the style of riding you are saying. My wife has a Giant Comfort bike that is about 10 years old and its similar to my Verve. She doesn't ride as much as me but its been a good bike as well.
Old 05-03-18, 11:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The Verve may indeed suit your needs well. I have a Verve 3, but it's a 2015 model with a suspension fork and narrower tires than the current model, so it probably doesn't ride exactly like the current one. Either the Verve or DS would likely be a good match for your riding. Does your local bike shop sell other brands? This category of hybrid is very popular, and most brands have at least one offering in this market segment. For example, Specialized sells the Crossroads and Crosstrail, and Giant sells the Cypress and Roam.

If you think you like this type of bike, let us know what brands are available to you and we can suggest specific models to try. Of course, actually riding them at your local bike shop will give you the best information with which to make your decision!

Welcome!