Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone run a 27.5/29 plus wheelset as well?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 06-06-18, 01:28 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

After trying out single track riding with the fatty this fall and winter, I found I really enjoy it. That said, I can already tell my limitations with a rigid bike, even one with 4.8" tires.

I was originally going to buy a new MTB, but thinking about it more, I wonder if I wouldn't be served adequately finding a used Bluto shock and a 3" or so wheelset? Has anyone done something along those lines?
Old 06-08-18, 11:48 PM
FrontFive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi. I have only done one ride on 29 plus tyres on my Ice Cream Truck since building them up so I can only provide my initial observations. I found the plus wheels to be a lot faster rolling. I think that is due to a combination of lower rolling resistance from the treads, lighter weight and higher tyre pressures. As a result I found I was approaching corners with much more speed and wishing that I had more powerful brakes. The plus wheels didn't feel like they cornered as well. That could be due to having less grip than my fat tyres, but my lack of familiarity with the plus wheels could also be to blame. The plus wheels seem more suited to long rides where you need to cover a lot of ground, whereas as the fat wheels and tyres feel like more fun and are a lot more comfortable. I really missed my fat tyres when running plus, but I know some people prefer it the other way round.

By the way, I am running a bluto and would definitely recommend it, even with fat tyres as it kills the pogo-ing effect you get from the big tyres and provides more control. It is also astonishingly light.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-11-18, 08:48 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FrontFive
By the way, I am running a bluto and would definitely recommend it, even with fat tyres as it kills the pogo-ing effect you get from the big tyres and provides more control. It is also astonishingly light.
Good to know. I may just start with a Bluto, and look at wheelsets later. I think the suspension would take care of most of my issue with the fatbike on theses trails, and if I got to a point where I needed even more speed, could always look to narrower tires in the future..
Old 06-21-18, 05:35 AM
FrontFive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The other thing with plus wheelsets for fat bikes is that they are expensive. I was lucky enough to buy the parts for mine from an insurance payoff.