Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I need to live near scenic, cycling safe, rural roads and bike paths.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I need to live near scenic, cycling safe, rural roads and bike paths.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 07:03 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Well I completed the purchase of the new home in Lake Geneva. That same day, I unloaded a U-Haul trailer of a few essentials: bed, breakfast room table & chairs, kitchen basics, and two bikes. I enjoyed a 21 mile loop around the lake, which includes 1300 ft of climbing. I'm going to be just fine.

I'll miss Edwardsville, Illinois for several reasons. The local bike path system is superlative. The local rural roads are pleasant and generally free of traffic. The local bike shop was ideal for me, Alex really enjoyed helping out with my ever expanding vintage bike collection. My home here was comfortable and full of charm. I'll be giving up these things. The mild winters were great, too.

Yes, I know, Lake Geneva is a great place. I'll have to update this thread in October, after I've had a chance to enjoy the move.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-06-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 01:19 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Outside of metropolitan areas, when viewing the terrain from an aircraft, what we see is eastern forest with nary a sign of of civilization. On the ground, of course, we see many homes, in places, but on quiet country roads that are great for cycling. From my home in Bristol, a small town, for a radius of more than 50+ miles, there are hundreds of miles of such riding and equally important, motorists are courteous and helpful. As an old sea salt, I like being near water and Bristol is surrounded by water and many rides pass by rivers or bays.

I love the east bay bike path from East Providence to Bristol.
Old 08-06-18, 09:48 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
We have been full time rving for 2 yrs now. It's important to me to have decent cycling available. This yr I'm at 2k miles so far which is well below my average but still respectable. It is fun exploring new parts of the country.
Old 08-12-18, 03:57 PM
hodgykins 

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Rainbow" Paramount, 1991 Waterford Paramount, 1993 Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Well I completed the purchase of the new home in Lake Geneva. That same day, I unloaded a U-Haul trailer of a few essentials: bed, breakfast room table & chairs, kitchen basics, and two bikes. I enjoyed a 21 mile loop around the lake, which includes 1300 ft of climbing. I'm going to be just fine.

I'll miss Edwardsville, Illinois for several reasons. The local bike path system is superlative. The local rural roads are pleasant and generally free of traffic. The local bike shop was ideal for me, Alex really enjoyed helping out with my ever expanding vintage bike collection. My home here was comfortable and full of charm. I'll be giving up these things. The mild winters were great, too.

Yes, I know, Lake Geneva is a great place. I'll have to update this thread in October, after I've had a chance to enjoy the move.
Welcome to Wisconsin. Hoping to be your way next weekend. Awsome riding in your area if you dont mind quiet country roads. Check out Waterford...likely to have a nice bike for you to enjoy. Just did Dare...missed you again this year. Hope you are well!
Old 08-14-18, 05:39 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by fishboat
Waterford still does rides I think. Bike Doctor does also: https://www.bikedr.com/

Lots of community-sponsored rides also. A number of us are doing the Ft. Atkinson Tour de Fort Metric Century. https://www.travelwisconsin.com/even...century-104409

FLAT route..but nice scenery and well run, so I'm told.
I've registered for the Tour de Fort Metric. I'll arrive 30 minutes before start. How can I meet up? I'll brings a blue/green/white Eddy Merckx and have a blue & white Merckx jersey on.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-14-18, 06:10 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I've registered for the Tour de Fort Metric. I'll arrive 30 minutes before start. How can I meet up? I'll brings a blue/green/white Eddy Merckx and have a blue & white Merckx jersey on.

Michael
I'm sure it'll be a nice ride, but my girlfriend and I had to cancel..a family member has serious medical issues..we're in care mode for now. A couple other people were going to do the ride, but canceled after we canceled.

Life is seldom simple..my apologies.

Lots of riding days left before cold weather sets in..perhaps we can assemble another ride somewhere.
Old 08-17-18, 09:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Well I joined my first local group ride last night. There are rides that leave from a parking lot, about 8 attendees. Five of these riders were genuinely fast, maintaining a 20-25 mph pace once we got east of HWY 12. I hung on for about 10 miles. It that point, another rider and myself, reduced the pace to the normal-for-me 15-20 mph. We rode out towards Burlington, WI. We then took some windy & hilly rural roads back to Lake Geneva.

It seems that the triangle formed by Lake Geneva, Burlington and Paddock Lake is popular for recreational riding. There are probably more than 100 miles of good quality cycling that's moderately safe.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-17-18 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-18-18, 02:56 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Dayton Ohio

Safe Scenic paths. Come to Dayton Ohio.
Old 08-20-18, 08:37 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Almost honeycrisp time. My favorite place:https://www.hafsroadorchard.com
Old 09-16-18, 04:03 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-16-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 04:31 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My sister lives south of the lake (Swamp Angel Road) and I do her loop around the lake when I visit. I was surprised at the amount of elevation!
Hope you are enjoying the new digs!
Old 09-16-18, 11:19 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
From my home in Bristol, a small town, for a radius of more than 50+ miles, there are hundreds of miles of such riding and equally important, motorists are courteous and helpful.
I'm RI born and bred, but I've never heard RI motorists called 'courteous' or 'helpful' before. 'Incompetent' and 'dangerous' spring to mind most frequently during my visits. Of course, driving in RI is safer than in Boston....

Yeah, the ride from East Providence to, say, Newport through Bristol is great, though the Mt. Hope Bridge is hair-raising, at least the first time.