Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I use Strava free app.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I use Strava free app.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 06:47 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie
I think it works ok. I’ve downloaded it twice to my phone. The first time, I started it up, the timer started running, I started my ride. When I got to the 6.5 mile stop sign where I normally drink some water, I thought I’d compare it to my bike’s computer. Computer logged 6.5 miles on the route I rode. Strava logged a perfect straight line from my house to where I was stopped. Strava showed 2 miles at 0 minutes, 0 seconds. Now the speed of light would be very scary on a bike, but according to Strava, I’ve accomplished that feat, for 2 miles. I wasn’t impressed, so I removed it and downloaded MapMyRide, which seemed to work ok, but my friend was on Strava so we couldn’t watch each other’s rides. I was talked into downloading Strava again and it has worked fine ever since. I use the free version as well and it seems to work for what I do with it. Maybe the first time I used it I did something wrong?
check your battery setting. If it is in a power saving mode it will record as the crow flies.
Old 07-22-18, 07:05 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach

check your battery setting. If it is in a power saving mode it will record as the crow flies.
I have an iPhone 6s that needed a new battery, so on every ride I would turn on low power mode prior to leaving. If I did not the battery would die during my ride. But as stated above, in low power mode Strava will lose GPS connection at times during a ride. It happens at start the most. Had the battery replaced(so no more low power mode) on my phone and since then I have had no problems with Strava.
Old 07-22-18, 09:39 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I tried to use Strava twice, it didn't work either time. I've been using Map my Ride for the last few years now. It does everything I want. After a ride I upload it to their site where it shows a Google map of my route. One thing I like about it is it shows in a box on the side of the screen a mile by mile, highlighting it on the map when you put your cursor on it and shows my average speed over that mile. If I click on the mile it will show me my maximum speed during that mile.

Last edited by John00; 07-23-18 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 08:12 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
I have an iPhone 6s that needed a new battery, so on every ride I would turn on low power mode prior to leaving. If I did not the battery would die during my ride. But as stated above, in low power mode Strava will lose GPS connection at times during a ride. It happens at start the most. Had the battery replaced(so no more low power mode) on my phone and since then I have had no problems with Strava.
You must be losing connection for some other reason. I always run my 6s in low power mode (and bluetooth turned off) on rides and Strava always works flawlessly.
Old 07-23-18, 08:48 AM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've gotten the old "as the crow flies" thing a couple of times with Strava, and I blame it on me not minimizing the app before putting my phone in my jersey pocket or into my holder on the handlebars. (I think I might accidentally hit "stop" if I don't remember to minimize.) The worst time was while I was riding in the "Trans New Hampshire" ride for MDA. Day one was 87 miles (and change), and I didn't notice the straight line until about halfway through the day. Arrrgh!!!!!!
The thing I like the most about Strava is when I do my local rides I can challenge myself on segments. There is one hill in particular which has become my arch enemy.
Old 07-23-18, 09:15 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use cycling apps to log my total mileage. Both Strava and MapMyRide will show this but the thing I like about Strava is the Gear details. I can add gear (wheel, chain, etc) and log the miles on each component. Plus if you have multiple bikes you can log each ride based on the bike. Nerdy, yes, but I like that feature.
Old 07-23-18, 12:13 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
If the free version works for you, well, there ya go.
But if an app is something that really helps you, you like it, and you use it a lot, please reconsider a paid subscription - for whichever app you like the most.
Behind a great piece of software is a crew of of hard working people that took a great idea a *very long way* to finally reach your phone.
While dozens of other companies failed, they worked hard, listened to the users, worked even harder, and survived.
They should get paid for that. And as the beneficiaries of all that effort, we should be glad to pay a reasonable fee.
My Strava subscription costs the same as me buying just one of those folks one beer in a bar once a month. Seems fair to me.
Free apps are for free-riders. Just decide what's right for you.
Old 07-23-18, 12:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Behind a great piece of software is a crew of of hard working people that took a great idea a *very long way* to finally reach your phone.
While dozens of other companies failed, they worked hard, listened to the users, worked even harder, and survived. They should get paid for that. .
They Did get paid for that, and they Are getting paid for that. it is not my responsibility to support them further than I do ... and if they offer a free app which does what I need .... why would I pay more? Are they going to support My favorite charities?

You can buy them an extra beer for me.
Old 07-23-18, 01:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
They Did get paid for that, and they Are getting paid for that. it is not my responsibility to support them further than I do ... and if they offer a free app which does what I need .... why would I pay more? Are they going to support My favorite charities?
Free version does most everything I want too - paid version doesn't offer anything extra that I want. Hey Strava - here's what'd make me buy up... you limit "free" data to one year's worth of rides... or similar restriction. I've got 6-years worth of rides logged in your app - and it'd piss me off if you took my suggestion... but I'd do it.
Old 07-23-18, 04:13 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
I use Endomondo primarily because it works with the MyFitnessPal app that I use to track calories. Endomondo is not as much of a social network as Strava. I did check out Strava when I wanted more stats but Endomondo was significantly cheaper for the premium version.
I know this isn't a weight loss thread but by using the apps and riding I have been able to lose 67 pounds so far.
Old 07-23-18, 09:22 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Strava has been on & off my phone a couple times.. keeps getting corrupted and acting weird.. timer won't shut off, won't save & upload, etc.
I fall back on MapMyRide and sync it with MyFitnessPal.
MapMyRide does have a serious glitch, though.. it's very susceptible to cellular dead spots.
Old 07-26-18, 08:13 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have enjoyed Strava freebie since 2011. This app has done more for my motivation than anything else. It’s almost like having that rider up the road you just have to catch. I live in a small town community where riders know each other. That alone makes Strava worthwhile for tracking your friends and riding partners.
Old 07-26-18, 08:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I was wondering if there are better phone apps or is Strava as good as any? The owner of my LBS suggested Strava to me and I have been happy with it but wondered if there was something better or more flexible? I use the free version and have no desire to get into paying for a bicycle riding app. At 69 I am happy just knowing how many miles I traveled.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
What do you believe would make it better? Do you feel that your missing anything from the app?
Old 07-26-18, 08:25 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
What do you believe would make it better? Do you feel that your missing anything from the app?
Well, the last time I rode a bike there wasn't an internet so the riding apps are all Greek to me. I thought asking the group, with there accumulated knowledge, would certainly know the answer. As it turns out I seem to have stumbled onto a good app for me.
Thanks, Frank.
Old 07-26-18, 08:37 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie
I think it works ok. I’ve downloaded it twice to my phone. The first time, I started it up, the timer started running, I started my ride. When I got to the 6.5 mile stop sign where I normally drink some water, I thought I’d compare it to my bike’s computer. Computer logged 6.5 miles on the route I rode. Strava logged a perfect straight line from my house to where I was stopped. Strava showed 2 miles at 0 minutes, 0 seconds. Now the speed of light would be very scary on a bike, but according to Strava, I’ve accomplished that feat, for 2 miles. I wasn’t impressed, so I removed it and downloaded MapMyRide, which seemed to work ok, but my friend was on Strava so we couldn’t watch each other’s rides. I was talked into downloading Strava again and it has worked fine ever since. I use the free version as well and it seems to work for what I do with it. Maybe the first time I used it I did something wrong?
That "straight line" problem sounds as if you may not have gotten GPS synchronization before you began the ride, or somehow lost it during those first 6.5 miles. It doesn't know where you were during the time of GPS loss, so it simply makes a straight line from where GPS was lost, to where it was re-gained. That's happened to me. I've also noticed that if the app is running, and the cell phone screen is unlocked...depending on your app and/or phone settings it might manually pause the app if you inadvertently touch the screen. Then, when it's un-paused it will make a straight line from where it was paused to where you are when it's un-paused. I just keep my phone in my jersey pocket. But, I make sure the app is running properly, and the screen is locked before I put it in my pocket.

Dan
Old 07-26-18, 09:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Switched to premium version for more stats but more importantly, it's "beacon" feature. Set it up and it sends a text with a link to whomever you designate so they can literally follow you. My wife very much appreciates the feature.
My wife likes the beacon feature, too -- at least until I take a break. Then I get an "Are you all right?" text to which I must respond immediately.

RidewithGPS allows you to set an interval, so it's only updated every 1 or 5 minutes. That feature sure saves on the phone's battery (and data, too, if you care). Downside is it's a hassle to set it up for the wife; I have to log into her computer or tablet for live logging to work. Strava's beacon is a text to her smart phone, click on the link, and she's tracking me.

And neither works at all if you forget to click at least three times on different buttons before you start riding.
Old 07-26-18, 04:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My wife likes the beacon feature, too -- at least until I take a break. Then I get an "Are you all right?" text to which I must respond immediately.
​​​​When I set it up first time, with this kind situation in mind, told my wife to ignore any stops 30 minutes or less. If it's a flat, I might let her know what's going on. Routinely my stops are much shorter than 30 minutes. I usually ride too far to depend on her unless I call to do so. In the event of a mishap, i.e. crash, folks nearby are a better bet. Happened recently, broke my left arm, many came to my aid.. still recovering.
Old 07-26-18, 06:18 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I use RideWithGPS (also free) and if I also want to share my ride with my Strava friends, I can download the GPX file and upload it to Strava with a couple mouse-clicks.

That way i don't have to share every 13-mile ride at 13 mph---I just hit the good ones, or the longer, more challenging rides I might repeat, to compare to past performances and such. I don't need people giving me "kudos" if I went around the block to see if my derailleurs were adjusted right.

RideWithGPS seems easier for planning routes, and tracking routes ... and everything can be swapped back and forth anyway. I like it better ... but then, i am old,. I am not part of the "conected" generation that has to post every morsel of food consumed, and such. Strava is much more social and much better for people who like to compete with friends and strangers.

Check out the free RideWithGPS download, and if you don't like it, toss it, i guess.
​​​​​​I use this as well for most of the same reasons. My account is not public. I use it for mapping and as a shortlist of favorite loops at a given distance. I can pull up routes if discussing shared interest with someone with device in hand. However realized fairly recently it has been around two years since prior login. I do my primary mileage logging with local app that imports from my Garmin.
Old 07-31-18, 09:33 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Garmin 230 watch to record my hiking, walking, running, and biking. I use the garmin app on my phone to push the data to Strava, Ride with GPS, and My "MYBlue" health account through work. Strava is my go to program to track my friends and I joined up with a clubs the my church and local shop have. The clubs announce rides and it sends me a note when the rides are starting and where. I'm rehabing at this time, and I love to see where my friends are riding since I can't go out with them. Strava is a good way to keep track of what you have done. I I look up activities from years past to see how my performance was on rides in the past. Or what route I took when we rode somewhere. Ride with GPS can also look up old rides online, but the best I like with it is to look up specific rides in my area that others have done. I use it to get ideas for rides my friends and I ride. But for the most part, I just use Strava.
Old 07-31-18, 01:24 PM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone 8. I use the Premium version, which is $10/year, which is great compared to the monthly charge that Strava has. However, Cyclemeter doesn't sync directly to a FitBit, so I have to sync Cyclymeter to Strava free and that (theoretically) syncs to the FitBit. However, as of late, Strava has stopped syncing to FitBit. I have tried everything I have found by searching to get it to sync, but nothing has worked.
Old 08-03-18, 11:27 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use strava free as well. It does what I need but admittedly that's very little. I don't even have the app, I just send my rides up to strava when I charge my old Garmin Edge 200. I guess about all I use it for are the challenges which do help me with some motivation at times.
Old 08-05-18, 01:52 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When I dusted off my old Bridgestone and decided to get serious again... I bought a Topeak Panobike cadence sensor and I installed the "Panobike+" app on my two iPhones (work and personal). That app has a nice "bike computer" dashboard. As I rode, I could easily see cadence, road speed, distance-traveled, average road speed, and average cadence. At the end of every ride, I could see a map of my ride and statistics for my ride. That might be all you need. But I downloaded every single ride to Strava anyway. The free version is great for reasons others have listed above.

I liked having the app on two phones because that gave me a back-up in case one had a weak battery or whatever... but I never found a way to sync the two. A ride's data was only on one or the other.

I upgraded to the paid version of Strava when I got a heart rate monitor... and I think the combination is brilliant and for me it's absolutely worth it. Now, I have a better appreciation of the line between under training and over training. Also, I'm motivated to compete, and I can define segments.

Topeak's cadence sensor is quite good, but their heart rate monitor disappointed me. (It would stop recording mid ride... and also it ate batteries.) I switched to a Wahoo heart rate monitor, and I believe it's categorically superior. One big advantage is that it has two LEDs on it: one tells me it's paired to my phone, and the other blinks with my pulse.

At the same time, I switched to using Wahoo's "Fitness" phone app. I think it's just marginally better than Panobike+. Like Panobike's, the Wahoo app has a good dashboard and it shows me my route and it logs my rides and statistics for each ride... and I still download every ride to Strava.
Old 08-06-18, 01:49 AM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Most people around here use Strava. With Map My Ride there's only 40 or less on the most popular of my rides. I ride every other day, put in so many miles and ride through the winter, so I'm "King of The Mountain", "Sprint King", and "Guru" on most of them, even though there are many people with much faster times than me. I guess MMR is a lot looser with their awards then Strava.
Old 08-14-18, 01:19 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use Runtastic "Road Bike Pro". It does what I need it to do. Actually, it does a lot more than I need it to do. When I compare the mileage from ANY GPS app that I've tried ( I've tried 4 so far) to my Cat Eye computer it comes out to be about 7-10% less than the computer reads. I just figured that since the GPS is performing a running string of point to point measurements which are straight lines. Some corners and turns are shaved a bit. Whereas my Cat Eye represents a direct linear record.

Last edited by slorollin; 08-14-18 at 01:21 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-16-18, 02:06 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

RidewithGPS allows you to set an interval, so it's only updated every 1 or 5 minutes. That feature sure saves on the phone's battery (and data, too, if you care). Downside is it's a hassle to set it up for the wife; I have to log into her computer or tablet for live logging to work. Strava's beacon is a text to her smart phone, click on the link, and she's tracking me.

And neither works at all if you forget to click at least three times on different buttons before you start riding.
I have an ELEMNT Mini, and have added my wife as a Notification, with Notifications set to Automatic. Every time I start a "Ride" (with the ELEMNT) it sends her an email with the live tracking link. Other than one time when the app crashed mid-run it has been flawless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.