Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

California air

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

California air

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 11:54 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
It seems you protest too much. Are you in forest management?
Nope, not in forest management. I'm just an educated resident of California (as opposed to a know-nothing resident of the Midwest).

I am protesting though. I am protesting your child-like nonsense with cold, hard facts. Why does that make you uncomfortable?
Old 11-19-18, 12:14 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
Why does that make you uncomfortable?
He just doesn't want to see this kind of thing happen when people neglect to rake their leaves.

Old 11-19-18, 12:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
As I type, the winds in the east are kicking up. What brings relief to one area, is a problem to others. Rain will clear our area pretty soon but bring mudslides and hazardous runoff to those devastated areas.
Native American burning
Old 11-19-18, 12:40 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
The Forest Service started changing management practices more than 20 years ago - doing prescribed wildland burns and allowing natural wildfires to burn when they don't threaten populations. The idea that bikeforum members figured this out but the Forest Service experts remain clueless is just silly. There are several aspects that make this a very difficult problem to solve - it will take decades of prescribed burns to restore forests to a more natural state, but the larger problems are more people moving into areas that are vulnerable to catastrophic burns and the effects of climate change. The city of Paradise had developed evacuation plans but they were inadequate, maybe other cities can learn from this and improve evacuation plans. But there is no level of planning or management that will eliminate risks when you have 60 mph winds in extreme drought conditions.
Knowing the issues and actually doing something about them (managing) are two different things. My comments echo CALFIRE leadership, I don't know where you are getting your information. Only these last few years are they talking about more aggressive, effective action. For 2019 they plan on intentionally burning 125,000 acres if I heard it correctly. So, it has been a 20 year run of political and social battles over the 'correct' policy and impacts on air quality, environment, etc., etc.. In the meantime, the problem has escalated. As much as a love Jerry B., he is still talking about "climate change" as the problem, hence 'little can be done'-

"... there is no level of planning or management that will eliminate risks when you have 60 mph winds in extreme drought conditions" is one of those arguments that convinces people that there is nothing wrong with doing nothing, which is about was we've been doing. Kinda' like " It was a 100 year storm, how could we prepare?". But I absolutely agree with you that allowing housing developments and community development in high risk fire areas is part of the problem. No different from zoning and developing flood plains as residential property.
Old 11-19-18, 12:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Many of the most recent and deadly fires have been caused by uninsulated power lines coming down. These, combined with auto-restart devices (reclosers), create a huge fire hazard. But they are too cheap to install insulated wires or bury the cables underground. That could cut into corporate profits.

Much better to focus on raking leaves.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-19-18 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-19-18, 01:21 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I'm interested in the CALFIRE comments - do you have a link to their comments? I work in air quality at the EPA, and I work closely with some of the Forest Service folks. It is fair to debate whether they should be trying to do more prescribed burns, but it is very challenging to complete the burns they want to do - they need approval from state agencies before doing a burn, certain meteorological conditions have to be met, and even then, it is not risk free - people have died in prescribed burns that got out of control. And this is expensive - they can only work with the budget that Congress and the President provides.

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
"... there is no level of planning or management that will eliminate risks when you have 60 mph winds in extreme drought conditions" is one of those arguments that convinces people that there is nothing wrong with doing nothing.
I think people are smarter than that. There is a lot we can to reduce risks, including creating defensible space around homes. A lot is already being done, more needs to be done. But even after we spend billions of dollars on forest management, which will take decades, there will still be some catastrophic fire that we can't prevent, and when bent people (not referring to you) make claims that the Paradise fire was caused by gross incompetence, that's simply nonsense and counter productive.
Old 11-19-18, 01:27 PM
GailT

Finnish Biologist Corrects Trump On Rakes
Old 11-19-18, 01:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The defensible space idea works for conventional relatively slow-moving forest fires, but the Camp fire was fundamentally different, due to the very high winds and super-heated air. Houses didn't just catch fire. They exploded into flame when they were hit with super-heated air. Everything in the path of the firestorm was incinerated. Metal objects melted. Cars were blown off the road into the ditches.

Melted water meter

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-19-18 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 01:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I'm interested in the CALFIRE comments - do you have a link to their comments?
I realize this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it sounds like you might be interested.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...t-13400503.php

Also, here is a link to the report (PDF):

https://lhc.ca.gov/sites/lhc.ca.gov/.../Report242.pdf
Old 11-19-18, 02:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Interesting story done by my local NPR station, Capital Public Radio, on the Global Supertanker. Here's What It Takes To Get A Cal Fire Tanker In The Air - capradio.org
Old 11-19-18, 02:35 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I'm interested in the CALFIRE comments - do you have a link to their comments?

CALFIRE's leadership has remarkably self-critical of past practices, (Fed & State) I think you can find those comments in articles all over the interwebz, including Forbes, CBS network, and well as more partisan sites.. There are also official memorandum published from the Executive Staff that you can find out there posted in the web as pdfs.

Perhaps search Mike Marcucci's comments as a start.
Old 11-19-18, 02:54 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Nope, not in forest management. I'm just an educated resident of California (as opposed to a know-nothing resident of the Midwest).

I am protesting though. I am protesting your child-like nonsense with cold, hard facts. Why does that make you uncomfortable?
If you people from Calif are so educated, why is your state BILLIONS OF DOLLARS is debt, and most of us from the ignorant states in the mid west debt free.

Then---------------------again if you are so educated why have you let over 70 of your resident suffer the horrible death of burning to death?? And again if you are so educated, why havent you devised a fix to prevent hundreds of square miles of your state to be burned to the ground? The destruction of all those forest tree and the wild life is unacceptable. Again IMO the totally ignorant leadership if you can call it that from Sacramento is beyond disgust, and again, attacking me and the people of the mid west is really stupid. This is not where the problem resides. Your continued person attacks are wearing quite thin.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-19-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 03:27 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know nothing
If you people from Calif are so educated, why is your state BILLIONS OF DOLLARS is debt, and most of us from the ignorant states in the mid west debt free.

While these claims have nothing to do with California air, they are consistent with your comments in that they aren't based in fact. Extra nonsense points for conflating States' debt with personal debt even if you're wrong about that as well.

Then---------------------again if you are so educated why have you let over 70 of your resident suffer the horrible death of burning to death?? And again if you are so educated, why havent you devised a fix to prevent hundreds of square miles of your state to be burned to the ground? The destruction of all those forest tree and the wild life is unacceptable. Again IMO the totally ignorant leadership if you can call it that from Sacramento is beyond disgust, and again, attacking me and the people of the mid west is really stupid. This is not where the problem resides. Your continued person attacks are wearing quite thin.

Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't change the simple fact that you don't know what you are posting about.

BTW not to worry about the name calling, I am a big boy and just consider the source. Name calling is the end result of people that are losing an argument.

Your continued person[sic] attacks are wearing quite thin.

Sometimes the truth hurts. You only have yourself to blame for that.
Old 11-19-18, 03:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by rydabent
If you people from Calif are so educated, why is your state BILLIONS OF DOLLARS is debt, and most of us from the ignorant states in the mid west debt free..
It's got a huge surplus. Stop reading Fakebook for your news and pull your head out of your arse long enough to do a basic fact-check.
Old 11-19-18, 03:36 PM
GailT

Originally Posted by wgscott
I realize this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it sounds like you might be interested.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...t-13400503.php
Also, here is a link to the report (PDF):
https://lhc.ca.gov/sites/lhc.ca.gov/.../Report242.pdf
Thanks - good report, and a positive description of the Forest Service, here are two quotes from the report:

"The U.S. Forest Service is a valuable leader and partner in several collaborative activities - it advocates an "all lands, all hands" approach and many stakeholders are quick to praise USFS Region 5 Forester Randy Moore's willingness to consider science-based forest management solutions. However, there are constraints outside of his control, particularly funding, which impede forest management. USFS fire suppression costs have soared from 15 percent in the early 1990s to more than 50 percent in 2017 - the most expensive year on record. That year alone, it spent more than $2 billion in fire suppression, exceeding the nearly $1.6 billion allocated."

"The backlog of restoration treatments also is large. Approximately six million acres of forest within the Sierra Nevada need to be treated. The U.S. Forest Service (USFS) commits in the draft Forest Carbon Plan to increasing yearly forest treatments from 250,000 acres to 500,000 acres on all National Forest Systems Lands in California so that by 2030, nine million acres will be treated with fuels reduction, managed and prescribed fire, weed removal and road improvements to reduce sedimentation."

Forest Service researchers were some of the first to recognize the value of fire in forest management, and they are also the first to criticize the old approach in the 20th century of suppressing all fires. They no longer suppress all fires, but when lives and property are at risk, they are still required to suppress fires, even though this make the long term problem worse, and it also reduces their budget for forest management. Catastrophic fires were a problem even before widespread fire suppression strategy was adopted - it was the catastrophic Big Burn fire that prompted the suppression approach. I don't think you will find anyone critical of the current Forest Service approach, apart from their budget being too small for forest management.
Old 11-19-18, 03:36 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
It's got a huge surplus. Stop reading Fakebook for your news and pull your head out of your arse long enough to do a basic fact-check.
I tried sticking up for him, but alas, it keeps getting worse.
Old 11-19-18, 03:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I tried sticking up for him, but alas, it keeps getting worse.
There are no shortages of problems in CA, but at the moment, the budget apparently isn't one of them.

Unfortunately, I think we are in the early days of another recession, so this may quickly change.
Old 11-19-18, 03:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

If anyone were interested in educating himself about California debt policy, I would recommend the Legislative Analyst's Office reports, particularly this one on Prop. 2 (which mandates payments on state debts and the state rainy day fund) and the Governor's payment proposal. https://lao.ca.gov/reports/2016/3363...sal-022416.pdf

Or one could continue to spout off in ignorance. One's choice.
Old 11-19-18, 04:35 PM
rydabent
Banned

Uh------------might try googling Calif debt. They say 1.3 Trillion.
Old 11-19-18, 04:36 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 80 Posts
Reading through the thread, I think I'd best preface my question by saying that I thoroughly sympathize with victims of this horrible fire. I'm not here to argue, I just want to go for a bike ride.

I regularly cycle many miles a week here in Oakland. I imagine several of you do likewise. If you're relatively fit & healthy, do you think it's ok to go for a ride? The masks are not reasonable, imo, for the type of riding I want to do.
I haven't found any clear answers to the question. I suspect many of you, like myself, are fit enough to bicycle centuries. Do you think our general fitness be sufficient to clear away the temporary insults of this smoke?
Old 11-19-18, 04:41 PM
rydabent
Banned

While these claims have nothing to do with California air, they are consistent with your comments in that they aren't based in fact. Extra nonsense points for conflating States' debt with personal debt even if you're wrong about that as well.

Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't change the simple fact that you don't know what you are posting about.

Sometimes the truth hurts. You only have yourself to blame for that.
The only truth here is the fact that forest management in Calif SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7000 buildings burned, over 70 people dead, and hundreds missing. And that IS the truth.

And again while as I say in the wax and wane of things when you consider the death and losses, in the future for years, mountain biking in the burned out areas will probably non existent.
Old 11-19-18, 05:01 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
in the future for years, mountain biking in the burned out areas will probably non existent.
This really shows that you can't comprehend the impact of fire on mountain bike trails in the West. In many areas it's possible to ride mere weeks after the fire because the trail remains, even though the chapparal and manzanita has burned (see below). In many heavily forested areas the riding resumes after the downed trees have been cleared.

The scenery changes but the trails remain. Because dirt, rocks and sand don't burn...

Old 11-19-18, 05:03 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
I regularly cycle many miles a week here in Oakland. I imagine several of you do likewise. If you're relatively fit & healthy, do you think it's ok to go for a ride? The masks are not reasonable, imo, for the type of riding I want to do.
I haven't found any clear answers to the question. I suspect many of you, like myself, are fit enough to bicycle centuries. Do you think our general fitness be sufficient to clear away the temporary insults of this smoke?
Not ok to ride. Heavy particulates don't "clear away," they settle in the lungs. This info is readily available in recent news coverage...

It's a moot point though with the weather change tomorrow afternoon.
Old 11-19-18, 05:05 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
Reading through the thread, I think I'd best preface my question by saying that I thoroughly sympathize with victims of this horrible fire. I'm not here to argue, I just want to go for a bike ride.

I haven't ridden outside in 10 days. I rode Zwift in the garage this morning and briefly considered commuting. Currently over 200 in Sacramento, 170-180 in the East Bay. You could probably get away with it, but I don't think it's worth it personally.
Old 11-19-18, 05:07 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
I live in the Conejo Valley, smack dab in the middle of the evac zone. We were out for four days. I bailed on our local shop ride on Saturday after just a few miles as the air quality was not exactly epic in favor of the trainer. Didn't see any reason to destroy my lungs.

It's better today, although we have rain coming in. Hoping to get a decent ride on Friday if the rain has stopped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.