Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Shorts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 01:39 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Cycling Shorts

Could someone recommend a Good Pair of Cycling Shorts. I bought a Pair of Santec Cycling Shorts and they looked Great and the Pad was Very Comfortable and Cleaned Easily, but in two months they completely stretched out on me, even the leg ban and started loosing its color. Now the Pad hangs below me and snags on the seat when I get on or off. I wanted to try and get some shorts made out of Polimyde since I thought they might hold up better. But will they be too hot during the hot and humid Summers here? I saw some Shorts which had Polimyde in the Wear Areas and Polyester panels on the sides for breathing. Is this a possibility? Any suggestions? I do not want to go through what I went through with the Santecs. Very Disappointing, Paid good Money.

Old 03-17-19, 02:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Pearl Izumi
Old 03-17-19, 03:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Someone on this forum recommended Aero Tech. I gave them a shot. They are far and away the best shorts I have ever bought in terms of durability and comfort.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/roadbikeshorts.html
Old 03-17-19, 03:29 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Buy decent, 'brand-name' cycling shorts -- problem solved. Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, Garneau, Castelli ... whatever.

Buy junk for your 'junk' ... problems will ensue.

/thread?
Old 03-17-19, 05:39 PM
mjac

Have some good suggestions, I will check them out. Was not familiar with these Brands. Fooled by Marketing.

Is is it important to go with Polimyde made Shorts and would they be too Hot?
Old 03-17-19, 05:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Buy decent, 'brand-name' cycling shorts -- problem solved. Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, Garneau, Castelli ... whatever.

/thread?
Yep!
Old 03-17-19, 06:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Someone on this forum recommended Aero Tech. I gave them a shot. They are far and away the best shorts I have ever bought in terms of durability and comfort.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/roadbikeshorts.html
I'll 'second' Aerotech Designs. Not the most expensive (nor the cheapest), but great value for your $$$. Besides the longevity, I like that some of the models have thin crotch pads; I really hate the ones with pas so thick you get the feeling you're wearing an adult diaper.
Old 03-17-19, 08:28 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi, but I recently ordered some Bellweather endurance shorts and they have a great pad and are high quality. This is my third pair of Bellweather shorts and the only problem I have had is the logo wearing a little thin.
Old 03-17-19, 10:28 PM
mjac

/thread?
Was not familiar with what the Solid Name Brands were. Was probably getting ready to make another mistake, until I decided to pose the question here. Might end up with a decent pair of Shorts this time.
Old 03-17-19, 10:32 PM
mjac

The Pearl Izumas I looked at had 6 Panels. The Aerotechs had 8.
Old 03-18-19, 04:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Besides the above (I have and like Pearl Izumi and AeroTech shorts), check out Przewalski 3D padded shorts and bibs. Most comfortable thick pad I've tried, unlike anything else I've seen -- dense, resilient, smooth surface, really comfortable with a hard saddle. Only about $20 from Amazon. I got a pair last summer and have worn 'em often. And the Black Bibs for $40 are a bargain -- nothing fancy but they work and wear well.

BTW, a key to getting long wear from cycling apparel is hand washing or using only the gentle cycle and cool water, air dry or minimal heat. I usually hand wash my shorts and jerseys and hang 'em to dry over the tub, with a fan blowing on the clothes and ceiling vent fan running. Occasionally I'll take 'em to the laundromat but I wash them separately from everything else, cool gentle cycle, low heat dryer and check them every few minutes. Too much heat or too long in the dryer will ruin the elastic.
Old 03-18-19, 05:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
NOT shorts=bibs
Old 03-18-19, 06:15 AM
mjac

Cycling Shorts

Originally Posted by canklecat
Besides the above (I have and like Pearl Izumi and AeroTech shorts), check out Przewalski 3D padded shorts and bibs. Most comfortable thick pad I've tried, unlike anything else I've seen -- dense, resilient, smooth surface, really comfortable with a hard saddle. Only about $20 from Amazon. I got a pair last summer and have worn 'em often. And the Black Bibs for $40 are a bargain -- nothing fancy but they work and wear well.

BTW, a key to getting long wear from cycling apparel is hand washing or using only the gentle cycle and cool water, air dry or minimal heat. I usually hand wash my shorts and jerseys and hang 'em to dry over the tub, with a fan blowing on the clothes and ceiling vent fan running. Occasionally I'll take 'em to the laundromat but I wash them separately from everything else, cool gentle cycle, low heat dryer and check them every few minutes. Too much heat or too long in the dryer will ruin the elastic.
That is what got me frustrated. I hand washed the Santecs and air dried them with a fan and what I thought was a decent pair of Cycling ShortS completely stretched out and began loosing its color. To the point now the pad hangs below me and snags on the seat. I didn't know what to think so I thought I better put the question here before I make another mistake and waste more money. I want to support Companies that put out Quality Products at a Good Value. Not Hype Artists.
Old 03-18-19, 06:21 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm an aero tech fan as well.
Old 03-18-19, 06:46 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Just make sure whatever you get is "Bib Style", that's 75% of the advantage of wearing cycling specific shorts right there, more so than even the padding. Not having your shorts falling down and snagging on the nose of your saddle, having your a** hanging out for everyone to see, and feeling cold drafts going up your back = Priceless.

I used to recommend Voler, but the the last shorts I got from them were awful, too small, too long, and with generic padding and seams that cut my a** to ribbons. Good luck finding something that works for you, but be prepared to spend at least $75-100 for something of quality that you can spend 8+ hours in comfortably. Unfortunately, the process is trial and error, but in general, you get what you pay for (with a few exceptions).
Old 03-18-19, 06:58 AM
mjac

Cycling Shorts

[QUOTE=Lemond1985;20842709]Just make sure whatever you get is "Bib Style", that's 75% of the advantage of wearing cycling specific shorts right there, more so than even the padding. Not having your shorts falling down and snagging on the nose of your saddle, having your a** hanging out for everyone to see, and feeling cold drafts going up your back = Priceless.

I used to recommend Voler, but the the last shorts I got from them were awful, too small, too long, and with generic padding and seams that cut my a** to ribbons. Good luck finding something that works for you, but be prepared to spend at least $75-100 for something of quality that you can spend 8+ hours in comfortably. Unfortunately, the process is trial and error, but in general, you get what you pay for (with a few exceptions).[/QUOTE

Well, I made the Error. Now it is time for the Trial. Don't want the Cheapist. Don't have to have the most expensive. I want the Shorts that are the Best Value for the money.
Old 03-18-19, 08:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
You might call Aerotech about the pads. Last time I called, the pads are outsourced.

I then when to where the pads may have been outsourced. We go to Europe and in Italy there are specific pad manufacturers. The latest are the pads with different densities at different areas of the design. Sublimation is the technical term used.

As you would imagine, there are manufacturers in China that also make these kinds of pads.

DOLOMITI PADS ? THE SOURCE OF COMFORT

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/coo...ling-pads.html
Old 03-18-19, 09:51 AM
mjac

One trick I have learned, the Pads take forever to dry and you do not want to put them into the drier because you might damage the Shorts. I have a 20' High Velocity Mainstay Fan ( Great Fan from Walmart for $40, Wire Cage, Metal Blades, you would have to spend $150 to get a fan that puts out this much air) and I clip the Waist Ban to the Metal Cage with some clips from a Trouser Hanger opening up the throat, flip the fan on high and the shorts are dry within an hour without damaging them.
he
Old 03-18-19, 10:02 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
The Pearl Izumas I looked at had 6 Panels. The Aerotechs had 8.
Are more panels good or bad?
Old 03-18-19, 10:05 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Modern 'chamois' -- at least the thinner ones that I prefer -- don't take long to dry at all, ime.

I usually buy Sugoi NOT BIBS -- eight-panel. Try to have minimum three wearable pair in rotation through the season. Wash (machine; delicate; cool; low spin) and hang to dry in basement. No fans or anything. Laundered in the evening -- always dry the next morning.

With at least three in rotation -- daily riding -- a pair will usually last me through five seasons before becoming too 'thin' to wear. They don't otherwise 'wear out'. ymmv.
Old 03-18-19, 10:05 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
more panels usually means a better fit
Old 03-18-19, 10:13 AM
mjac

Modern 'chamois' -- at least the thinner ones that I prefer -- don't take long to dry at all, ime.

I usually buy Sugoi NOT BIBS -- eight-panel. Try to have minimum three wearable pair in rotation through the season. Wash (machine; delicate; cool; low spin) and hang to dry in basement. No fans or anything. Laundered in the evening -- always dry the next morning.

With at least three in rotation -- daily riding -- a pair will usually last me through five seasons before becoming too 'thin' to wear. They don't otherwise 'wear out'. ymmv.
The Thick Pads do take a very long time to air dry. You have one pair and they get soiled on the morning ride and you need them for the evening ride or whatever, hand wash, Mainstay Fan done in an hour, no damage.
Old 03-18-19, 10:20 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Join the dark side. Ride with no padding. I've been doing it for years.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 03-18-19, 10:38 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by bakerjw
Join the dark side. Ride with no padding. I've been doing it for years.
Not Happening. Don't enjoy the ride when in discomfort. These poorly made riding shorts made a big difference. I can't wait to see what a Quality, Well Made pair of shorts feel like.
Old 03-18-19, 01:22 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
Pearl Izumi and Sugoi are great shorts. I also recommend Boure. I do have a pair of Boure with a thin chamois, not padded, and find them very, very comfy. My favorites of the shorts I have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.