Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Inventory

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized Inventory

Old 03-19-19, 07:07 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Specialized Inventory

Have noticed a lot of bikes are sold out on the site. Can't speak for most, but a lot of the Roubaix's and Diverge's are out of stock. Seems like this is very early compared to most years (that I've been noticing it). Most 2018's lasted well into the year last year. Was considering ordering a 2019 Diverge Sport and there's none to be had.

Could the 2020's be coming earlier this year?
Old 03-19-19, 07:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I've been out of the business for awhile but in times past Specialized tended to roll out new models of bread and butter bikes whenever they were no longer able to ship a full size run. Cutting edge bikes were held under wraps until the Interbike trade show.
Old 03-19-19, 04:10 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I've been out of the business for awhile but in times past Specialized tended to roll out new models of bread and butter bikes whenever they were no longer able to ship a full size run. Cutting edge bikes were held under wraps until the Interbike trade show.
Well, they better be ready to roll them out early this year ‘cause they ain’t gonna have any to sell unless they do!
Old 03-19-19, 04:34 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Have noticed a lot of bikes are sold out on the site. Can't speak for most, but a lot of the Roubaix's and Diverge's are out of stock. Seems like this is very early compared to most years (that I've been noticing it). Most 2018's lasted well into the year last year. Was considering ordering a 2019 Diverge Sport and there's none to be had.

Could the 2020's be coming earlier this year?
Funny you mention this. I recently put money down on a Diverge E5 Comp. I'm a 52cm size and the local bike shop had it in stock. I inquired about the straight up Diverge. The owner said they would be available first week of April. He also noted Specialized is very good about putting availability dates out there. I'm guessing they'll be more in stock bikes come April but don't quote me on that. I just checked the LBS stock on the Diverge Sport. Every size is in stock at their store in Buffalo.(in the black/red color) Tom's Pro Bike. I had a great buying experience there. Really great shop.

I suggest you talk with the shop you want to buy it from. They might be able to get one in for you. They are out there and available. Or have them order one for you. Take advantage of the sale/rebate that is offered right now.

BTW, that Diverge Sport is a great bike.!!! .. I love that new Shimano 105 7000 Series groupset. The Diverge E5 Comp that 'm buying has Disc Brakes. The Diverge Sport comes with Hydraulic Brakes which is super nice. I'll take delivery of the E5 Comp in 2 or 3 weeks.

This is interesting.... From what I've read, Shimano has been in the process of trying to get the rear derailluer inside of the frame. They have achieved this with the new 105 groupset. Cool stuff. The derailleur is now "inside the frame" tucked right under the cassette.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 03-19-19 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 05:06 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs

This is interesting.... From what I've read, Shimano has been in the process of trying to get the rear derailluer inside of the frame. They have achieved this with the new 105 groupset. When a bike falls over it's the rear derailluer that takes a hit on the drive side everytime. Now, that won't happen, for the first time ever. Cool stuff. The derailleur is now "inside the frame."
I'm fairly certain you misunderstood whatever you read. Shadow rear derailleurs don't stick out as far as non-Shadow versions, but they will still hit the ground before the frame.
Old 03-19-19, 05:58 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by dsaul
I'm fairly certain you misunderstood whatever you read. Shadow rear derailleurs don't stick out as far as non-Shadow versions, but they will still hit the ground before the frame.
Okay. I edited my post.

How long have "shadow" derailluers been on the market.?? Who was the first to achieve that design.?? Has Shimano used this design prior to 2019.??
Old 03-19-19, 06:10 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Well, Specialized is running a sale and also giving out rebates on a bunch of models. https://www.specializedrebates.com/

Why they're fine with selling them out, I don't know. Maybe they didn't expect the demand to be quite so good, especially since they just went through a Future Shock recall.

I'm tempted to get a Roubaix Comp Di2. One of the local dealers said he's down to one unassembled one in my size. My partner will be happy if they sell out before I get a chance to head over.
Old 03-19-19, 06:11 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Shimano introduced "Shadow" technology on XTR rear derailleurs around 2007. It's main purpose was to protect the rear derailleur from being damaged by rocks, trees, etc. They later added a clutch and named it Shadow Plus, but it was still only available on MTB derailleurs. It looks like it was introduced to Dura Ace and Ultegra rear derailleurs in 2017.
Old 03-19-19, 09:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Big Dealer Shops have room to warehouse more bikes , and so wholesalers ships them to them ..
perhaps your dealer can get bikes transferred from them.. ?

a situation this forum cannot solve for you, you must work with your LBS, a Specialized dealer..

Maybe pre order from next shipment of bikes when it comes off the boat,,
when it docks and goes thru distribution channels ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-19-19 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 01:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
This is interesting.... From what I've read, Shimano has been in the process of trying to get the rear derailluer inside of the frame. They have achieved this with the new 105 groupset. Cool stuff. The derailleur is now "inside the frame" tucked right under the cassette.
That cutting edge decade+ old technology sure is super swell!

What progress I tell ya! Next thing you know, women will no longer be shamed for working outside the home. Well, at least most of us wont shame them...

Ok, back to talking about Specialized's lack of inventory.
Old 03-20-19, 03:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
The students in Nashville and around there may have bought out the stock before the bikers in Buffalo thawed...
Old 03-20-19, 04:05 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That cutting edge decade+ old technology sure is super swell!

What progress I tell ya! Next thing you know, women will no longer be shamed for working outside the home. Well, at least most of us wont shame them...

Ok, back to talking about Specialized's lack of inventory.
Hey Dicky, my comment was about Gender Equality. It had nothing to do with women working outside of the home. Don't take things to the extreme and try, just try to be a little less mouthy when you quote me. Okay Georgey girl. Good. Tak a suk pill and get over yourself.

Apparently I read an old article about getting the RD inside the frame. But I still have the question.... When exactly did Shimano do this.?? And who did it first and when.?? I'd like to know the details. Can you answer that for me or do you not know.??
Old 03-21-19, 05:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
.... But I still have the question.... When exactly did Shimano do this.?? And who did it first and when.?? I'd like to know the details. Can you answer that for me or do you not know.??
Looks like @dsaul answered you already: "Shimano introduced "Shadow" technology on XTR rear derailleurs around 2007. It's main purpose was to protect the rear derailleur from being damaged by rocks, trees, etc. They later added a clutch and named it Shadow Plus, but it was still only available on MTB derailleurs. It looks like it was introduced to Dura Ace and Ultegra rear derailleurs in 2017. "

I have a 2013 SLX 9-speed derailleur on my MTB and it certainly is a fine piece of kit.
Old 03-21-19, 10:26 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've heard from a good source that a new Roubaix is dropping in April or May.
Old 03-21-19, 11:27 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've heard from a good source that a new Roubaix is dropping in April or May.
That timing lines up with their current sale ending at the end of March. I'm going in to a Specialized dealer this afternoon to test ride a 2019 Roubaix. Will see if I can get any info on the 2020. Last time I was in, the owner had already previewed the 2020 lineup and mentioned that they still won't have fender mounts. My wallet would prefer there to be major upgrades, because then I'd hold off until those go on sale.
Old 03-21-19, 02:57 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
This explains why I'm able to get the last Ruby at my LBS on sale. I don't care what improvements they have for the 2020 model. This bike is much nicer than i planned on buying but the sale only put it a little over budget. Can't wait to get her! They have to replace the part that's recalled on the future shock models before I can take her home.
Old 03-21-19, 03:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Well, Specialized is running a sale and also giving out rebates on a bunch of models. https://www.specializedrebates.com/

Why they're fine with selling them out, I don't know. Maybe they didn't expect the demand to be quite so good, especially since they just went through a Future Shock recall.

I'm tempted to get a Roubaix Comp Di2. One of the local dealers said he's down to one unassembled one in my size. My partner will be happy if they sell out before I get a chance to head over.
March/April/May have to be major selling months in the bike world, as the sun starts popping out, and the northern hemisphere starts waking up from hibernation.

I could imagine sales to get the ball rolling, but selling out in the spring would seem to be poor business choices.

Hopefully they'll be restocking quickly.
Old 03-21-19, 10:02 PM
surak

So I was told the yet-unannounced Roubaix Expert and S-Works Roubaix will have a new Future Shock (assume that means no major change to the lower tiers, or at least they won't come out anytime soon). Specialized is going to unveil them for Paris-Roubaix. This is bad news for my wallet as the Comp Di2s are selling quickly, and very few are left in Specialized's inventory. Of course they could have more on the way, so maybe they want to clear out the current stock first, I don't know.
Old 03-23-19, 09:54 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
New Roubaix will also have aero styling, apparently.
Old 03-26-19, 12:24 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

I just looked at 5 or 6 bikes at Specalized.com ..... Nearly every bike was in stock and in stock in all sizes. Quite a line-up.
Old 03-26-19, 10:06 AM
one4smoke

I just looked at 5 or 6 bikes at Specalized.com ..... Nearly every bike was in stock and in stock in all sizes. Quite a line-up.
Yeah, I checked again yesterday and all that was showing "out of stock" are now back in stock. Not sure what happened there for a while. The recall could have had something to do with it.