Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tube patch glue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tube patch glue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 07:17 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Tube patch glue

Last fall (I haven't ridden my bikes since), I had a tube slowly go soft on my commute into work so when I realized it, I stopped (fortunately, in the park where I could set up at a picnic table). I can't quite remember the details but I usually carry at least one spare tube but for some reason, I didn't use it (was it also punctured and I had neglected to repair it? I don't remember). So, I decided to just spend the time and repair the tube that was on the bike. Well, that failed too because the 2 tiny glue "tubes" were both empty and neither had been used. The tire was a bit soft when I started my commute so I pumped up the tube and rode 10km to the park before this stop so I figured, if I did the same, the air in the pumped-up tube should last the remaining 3km and it did (I think I called my wife for a ride home that afternoon).

So, I'm fed up with these tiny little tubes of glue and would like to buy a larger bottle of something that would replace it.

Can you recommend a brand/type of glue that I could use? My commuting bike is a touring bike with rear panniers so space/weight isn't a concern.

Thanks
Old 03-20-19, 08:19 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
once a tube has been opened, its always best to remove as much air from it before quickly recapping it. Even with that, depending on the cap, they can dry out over time.
One solution I find that helps is to buy patch kits that have two little tubes instead of one, at elast this way you probably will have one thats never been opened before--and also checking the tubes right away at the store to see if they feel full etc when new.

at MEC, they used to sell kits with two little tubes, I prefer to buy those.
also at MEC, they used to sell a large tube of glue, and I've had one for a long time, a few years at least, and the last time I used it, it was still good.

for trips, I make sure I have two little new tubes, unopened.

look into the larger tube of glue at mec, its worth getting one, a bit bigger and heavier of course, but if kept well closed and inside a baggy, i figure its worth it.

when I looked in stores for larger tubes of glue, didnt find any, but was glad to see that MEC had them. Probably cost 5 bucks or thereabouts.
Old 03-20-19, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
there are patches that don't require glue
Old 03-20-19, 09:38 AM
djb

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
haven't used them, and am frankly wary, have read of some long term problems, but hey, try em out.
Old 03-20-19, 09:43 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
A few years back, I bought a cup can of vulcanizing glue and a big box of patches. I always carry 2 tubes and 3 on our tandem rides.
Old 03-20-19, 10:19 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
At home I keep a small bottle of rubber cement. You can carry with you. Seems to last a long time.
Old 03-20-19, 10:54 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
As often as you seem to get flats, just buy a new REMA kit at your LBS every few years.
I had to do a patch a couple days ago and used a tube that had been opened at least 3 years ago.
As suggested, push the air out before reinstalling the cap.

IME with glueless patches-
They'll get you home, but tend to fail on your next flat if you fill the tube with air looking for the new hole.
They don't stretch as well as the tube and tend to fail at that time.
Old 03-20-19, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A:
there are patches that don't require glue
OP
"haven't used them, and am frankly wary, have read of some long term problems, but hey, try em out".
Their purpose is Short Term.. to get you home, or to say a comfortable Cafe to do a proper tube patching job..
Old 03-20-19, 01:20 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"Their purpose is Short Term.. to get you home"

Exactly how I use them as well. When I get home the patch gets peeled off and a proper patch installed. Sometimes they don't come off nicely and the tube gets replaced.
Old 03-20-19, 03:33 PM
djb

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Their purpose is Short Term.. to get you home"

Exactly how I use them as well. When I get home the patch gets peeled off and a proper patch installed. Sometimes they don't come off nicely and the tube gets replaced.
guess I'm lazy, but when I get a flat, I put in my spare tube after checking for debris in tire etc, then at home I properly patch the tube. I'm not in a race, so even if I were to patch on the roadside, I'd rather do it once and know its good to go for years, no surprises, no redoing it later.
Smearing some glue on, waiting 2 mins max for it to dry and then putting on a proper patch is such a small amount of time compared to removing a wheel, tire, etc., but thats me.
Old 03-20-19, 05:26 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Depending on where your bike is stored, you may need to refresh your patch kit glue a couple of times a year. I left a couple of patch kits in a garage in Arizona last summer and there wasn't a bit of glue left in either. The patches got brittle, too.

If you don't use it very often, rotate a fresh one in.
Old 03-20-19, 06:28 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I haven't patched a tube out on the road in ages, but have always carried a new, unopened tube of "glue" in the tool kit. Even an unopened one has dried out on me when I go to use it at home.

There are numerous options to buy an 8oz. can of vulcanizing fluid. Just due to the amount it should last a long time before drying becomes an issue.
Old 03-20-19, 06:53 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
There used to be a few distributors that carried small tubes of Maruni patch cement--I don't think anyone does, anymore, though.

You can buy small tubes from Rema, or 8oz cans, though. Most bicycle shops can order them.
Old 03-20-19, 07:32 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'm going to look into Rema.

And, like one other has said here, the patch kit came with 2 tubes of glue, one had not been opened and it was empty.
Old 03-20-19, 07:35 PM
djb

Originally Posted by wschruba
There used to be a few distributors that carried small tubes of Maruni patch cement--I don't think anyone does, anymore, though.

You can buy small tubes from Rema, or 8oz cans, though. Most bicycle shops can order them.
these must be the one I have, larger than the ones in patch kits, but still fairly small.
On one trip, I took one of them, and two small ones, and a whole slew of different patches, thinking that I'd be running into problems with lots of flats, but was lucky.
Old 03-20-19, 09:42 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I buy a big can of Rema and Heptane as solvent. For the road I fill small glass vials closed with metal caps (off Ebay), so I can see whether the glue stays liquid. Incidentally by volume most of the glue content is the solvent. Once every half a year I may add a bit of solvent.

Last edited by 2_i; 03-21-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 02:59 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
.. Or just replace your patch kit once a year or every other year. Its just a few $. Hardly worth obsessing about.
Old 03-21-19, 04:30 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I tend to have bad luck, and for the Rema, I run out of the round patches before the glue goes bad. I have a crapload of the big patches now (never had a use for them on tubes in 23/25 tires). Typically I don't try to save the glue from the old case when I open a new green touring 01 Rema case.

scott s.
Old 03-21-19, 12:08 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"so even if I were to patch on the roadside, I'd rather do it once and know its good to go for years, no surprises, no redoing it later."

Two years ago I got caught with an empty glue tube and had to walk 5 miles home. That is when I changed to the glue-less patches.
Old 03-21-19, 12:41 PM
djb

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"so even if I were to patch on the roadside, I'd rather do it once and know its good to go for years, no surprises, no redoing it later."

Two years ago I got caught with an empty glue tube and had to walk 5 miles home. That is when I changed to the glue-less patches.
understandable, I get about a flat per season on average, but this is why I like having two small glue tubes always in my little patch kit box.
Old 03-22-19, 06:30 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
At our shop we repair about a dozen tubes weekly so buying this Slime product goes a long way, an 8 OZ can of patch glue and comes with a built in brush. Work well with bulk purchases of Rema patches.

https://shop.slime.com/collections/p...nt=47493356552

Old 03-22-19, 06:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
At our shop we repair about a dozen tubes weekly so buying this Slime product goes a long way, an 8 OZ can of patch glue and comes with a built in brush. Work well with bulk purchases of Rema patches.
you must be an expert. what tips can you share? what are common mistakes to avoid? I'm thinking using too much glue &/or not letting it dry before applying patch?
Old 03-22-19, 08:03 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
you must be an expert. what tips can you share? what are common mistakes to avoid? I'm thinking using too much glue &/or not letting it dry before applying patch?
I'm no expert by any means.

We are a charity bike shop so we are more frugal thus patches & glue are cheaper than tubes. We find it easier to do multiple tubes at a time. and when completed they are put into the stock rotation. We rarely see a patch fail. We never attempt to patch a major blowout or damage immediately surrounding the valve.

We follow general rules for patching:
Rough up the area
Clean up with alcohol & let dry
Apply a generous but even layer of glue just larger than the patch
let glue dry before applying patch
Peel off aluminum backing and apply patch, apply immediate pressure (two wood blocks and a spring clamp)
We let it sit with the 2 small wood (2"x1"x1/2") blocks & a spring clamp until the next day.

This our secret for success, never rushing the drying and curing time

Last edited by JoeTBM; 03-23-19 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-22-19, 08:03 AM
djb

read the instructions, one must allow the thin layer of glue to dry.. Sandpaper area before.
Use finger spread glue thinly and evenly, slightly wider than patch shape, takes but a minute or two to dry, then carefully but firmly roll on patch.
might be just my habit but I hold thumb tightly over patch for a minute or so and that's it.

it's pretty straightforward, patches hold for years.
Old 03-22-19, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I'm no expert by any means
reminds me a VP of finance once came into our production center (digital presentation imaging back in the 80s) & somehow or another referred to me as "the expert" I said I'm no expert. he said something to the effect of "you know more about this than anyone else in the company, so, you're our expert" I immediately felt dread & doom befall me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.