Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with choosing a bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 09:27 AM
Vindieselwalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I recently started looking into different modes of transportation other than my car because I work downtown and hate paying for parking, finding parking, and all those city people problems. I really like the thought of a road bike because I dig the forward position and the more aggressive road tires that limit your friction. My brother and I would also like to take our bikes to the North Side where they have off road, mountain bike trails (exposed tree roots, steep hills to go down, etc.). I just need your guy's opinions on what bike to buy. I have a budget of $500 and willing to go to $750. I will be using this bike to get to work every Monday through Friday, so it will primarily be road bike with the ability to go to the mountain. I'd prefer if I could just swap tires and get ones that are skinny for the road, and fat ones to just throw on for the mountain. Any suggestions because I am lost...? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-19, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
# 1, choose a Bike Shop you like, then (2) tell them about what your riding plans are...

(3) test ride some bikes they have..
Old 03-20-19, 11:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I second @fietsbob: you need to get some basic information on bicycles before we can offer cogent advice.

Also ... how long is your commute, how good (or bad) are the roads, how much gear would you need to bring ... would you be riding rain and shine or just in good weather?

Further---how technical are those trails? A rigid fat-tired commuter (a gravel bike with racks) could handle some mountain bike trails, but would place a premium on rider skill. Smoother trails could be ridden more pleasantly, but a lot of the trails on most of the trail systems I have ridden would be nearly impossible on an unsuspended bike. But ... suspension will mostly slow you down on the road.

Go to some local bike shops. Don't Buy Anything. Tell the staff your plans, take some notes, look stuff up online, and come back here when you have a better idea of what you might want to do with the bike.

it is a bit of a process, but there are a lot of people here who will be eager to help you get a bike which you will love and which will do what you need it to do.
Old 03-20-19, 12:46 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Where are you going to park your bike when at work ? Unless it is going to be in a secure lock up, behind a security door or gate, it will be a target for thieves. That would steer me to a non descript used bike that I could afford to lose, if I had to leave my bike chained to a pole out on the street in the downtown area.
Old 03-20-19, 01:02 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've read your brief description. You've received good advice above: go to a bike shop and ask questions and look at various types. Ride some candidates.

If I were faced with your two different riding scenarios (paved commuting and single track off-road riding), I'd be led to two different bikes. And $500-750 will barely get you either one.

But there is an answer that I could live with, if I had to, and it would cost considerably less than $750, all in. I'd look for a rigid fork, late 1980s/early 1990s steel framed hard tail mountain bike that fit properly. I'd then set it up with a rear rack that could support waterproof panniers. I'd then buy a second set of 26" wheels, to which I'd mount road slicks. One set of wheels for commuting, the other for off-road (wider, knobby, lower-pressure tires). I'd bet that I could do this for under $400 in my area pretty readily.

I'm not advising that you do it, though. Go to a bike shop.
Old 03-20-19, 01:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'd look for a rigid fork, late 1980s/early 1990s steel framed hard tail mountain bike that fit properly. I'd then set it up with a rear rack that could support waterproof panniers. I'd then buy a second set of 26" wheels, to which I'd mount road slicks. One set of wheels for commuting, the other for off-road (wider, knobby, lower-pressure tires).
The perfect solution for a person who can repair and maintain a used bike.
Old 03-20-19, 06:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have a 1985 Miyata Ridge Runner that has been in continuous use since new. It started life as a mountain bike and is now set up with cruiser bars and used for commutes under 10 miles. It never has trouble, and is a joy to ride every day.

If you are able to handle simple bike mechanics, a used 80's-90's mountain bike is the way to go. Remember that simple is the easiest and least costly to maintain, and presents the least amount of problems. If you can handle friction shifting, that is the way to go for absolute reliability and low, low maintenance.
Old 03-20-19, 06:25 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to visit a couple of local bike shops. Discuss your needs and they'll give you a good idea of what is avalible in your price range. Do some research. It is very easy to buy the wrong bike. Take your time. Once you know what you are looking for, check out the used bike market on Craig list. Based on what on info you provided, It sounds like a hard tail mountain bike with lockout front suspension.
Old 03-20-19, 07:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
In a large metropolitan area Craigslist advertises about 2000 bikes for sale every day. About 1/3 of them have only been rode one or two times. Used prices are a fraction of new prices. For your $500 budget you could get two bikes instead of one.
Old 03-20-19, 08:01 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Tip #1:
Bike “fit” is #1

+1 for visit a bike shop
Mt bike makes good commuter ,
check out one with lockout suspension fork .
my first modern bike was a 29er Torker Shookum
i used it for road , off road & trail for a year
Found I like road best,
Added a flatbar road bike.
It gets 90% of my miles.
Your price ranges is a good entry level

one bike won’t do everything well but
will get you in the game,
start getting you
bike savvy & in biking shape.
Youll be watching CL bike ads in no time
for bike # 2 or 3 or 4

Tip #2:
“Fit“ is #1
Old 03-20-19, 09:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Vindieselwalker
Hi! I recently started looking into different modes of transportation other than my car because I work downtown and hate paying for parking, finding parking, and all those city people problems.

I really like the thought of a road bike because I dig the forward position and the more aggressive road tires that limit your friction. My brother and I would also like to take our bikes to the North Side where they have off road, mountain bike trails (exposed tree roots, steep hills to go down, etc.). I just need your guy's opinions on what bike to buy.

I have a budget of $500 and willing to go to $750. I will be using this bike to get to work every Monday through Friday, so it will primarily be road bike with the ability to go to the mountain.

I'd prefer if I could just swap tires and get ones that are skinny for the road, and fat ones to just throw on for the mountain. Any suggestions because I am lost...? Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by fietsbob
# 1, choose a Bike Shop you like, then (2) tell them about what your riding plans are...

(3) test ride some bikes they have..
To add to that good, general basic advice, I recently posted to this thread,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Test riding a bike

...As an experienced cyclist (IMO), I have found that I make my decision just on the basis of a parking lot test ride, with excellent advice from my shop.
...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.

I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing." .
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend?

IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals [up about $1500-2000, then the price interval spreads widen.
Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars. That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
Old 03-20-19, 10:45 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
What I would do is go to Walmart or Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a $300 bike with 700x38c tires on it. I'm thinking Schwinn. They are good bikes for little money. I have about 1,000 miles on mine and the only repair I've had to make was changing out the gear wheel on the rear wheel. It's called a cassette. Make sure it has 3 chain rings at the pedals. Probably 7 gears in the back. That gives you 21 speeds. The tires are great for pavement and trails. Right up your alley. No need for a 2nd set of wheels. Put a rear rack on it. Get a Topeak Super Tourist rack for the back of your bike. Then buy a Topeak trunk bag(MTX) that fits securely on the rack. Get the Trunk Bag with Panniers for $72. The rack will cost you $39 through Chain Reaction Cycles. For about $6 in shipping you'll have the goods in 3 or 4 days. It gives you a lot of storage for your commuting. Here's a YouTube video of the set up and the bike should look something like the bike in the picture I'm posting up for you to see. That's my bike with about 1,000 miles on it. Your bike and rack system with a trunk bag will cost you maybe $500. Or less. Fantastic set up for you. Pavement and trails. Great storage for clothes and commuting materials. Perfect.
Old 03-21-19, 09:42 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

what bike you decide on.?
Old 03-23-19, 01:51 PM
adalah