Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Repair Issue w/ Front Derailleur

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 08:37 AM
Seagull84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just transported my bike in a hard case on a plane, and the front derailleur isn't working all that well.

When shifted to the smaller cog with the front derailleur, the chain ends up not having enough tension and the rear derailleur moves backward instead of sitting vertically as it should. I hear the chain rubbing against something, and I think it's rubbing against the larger front cog. I can still ride in this state, but it doesn't sound or look right, and as I shift into a lower gear on the rear derailleur, the sound of the chain rubbing against something disappears.

If I shift back to the larger front cog, everything works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by Seagull84; 09-06-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-06-11, 08:46 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Am I the only one having trouble comprehending this?
Old 09-06-11, 08:51 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Do you know how to make adjustments on derailleurs?
Old 09-06-11, 08:52 AM
Seagull84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, someone distracted me in the middle of typing it, so I must have skipped a thought and jumbled two entirely different sentences together. Should be correct now.
Old 09-06-11, 08:54 AM
Seagull84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Do you know how to make adjustments on derailleurs?
I know how to make rear derailleur adjustments, but it's working completely fine when shifted to the larger cog on the front. The issue only arises when I shift to the smaller cog with the front derailleur.
Old 09-06-11, 08:59 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by Seagull84
I know how to make rear derailleur adjustments, but it's working completely fine when shifted to the larger cog on the front. The issue only arises when I shift to the smaller cog with the front derailleur.
Check the angle of the Front Derailleur against the chain ring and that there is proper clearance. Check the shifter cables and make sure that they are secured properly and have not gotten loose during transport.

If all else fail, take it to a competent bike shop mechanic. Honestly, it does not seem like you know how to make adjustments.
Old 09-06-11, 09:20 AM
Seagull84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The major issue is I need to learn how to do these adjustments on my own as the bike is coming with me across Europe and will be on many planes. The shifter cables are secured properly and I've made proper adjustments to the rear derailleur's tension as it wasn't shifting smoothly to higher gears when I put it back together. The chain was also about to run off the edge, so I had to tighten the high gear screw.

I wouldn't post here if I knew how to make front derailleur adjustments, and I need to learn. A shop will not teach me how.

The chain is not clearing the larger front chain ring properly when it's on the smaller front chain ring, so obviously I need to adjust something. If I adjust the cable tension on the rear derailleur, then I'll start having issues with smooth shifting again.
Old 09-06-11, 09:52 AM
tagaproject6

There are various videos on how to make front and rear derailleur adjustments. Check the Park Tools website, as they have a pretty good instructional set. YouTube is also rife with videos on bike adjustments.

What group are you using?
Old 09-06-11, 09:56 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seagull84
The chain is not clearing the larger front chain ring properly when it's on the smaller front chain ring, so obviously I need to adjust something. If I adjust the cable tension on the rear derailleur, then I'll start having issues with smooth shifting again.
Why are you adjusting REAR d for front shifting problem?
Old 09-06-11, 10:31 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ride cross-chained in the small chainring and small cog combination.
Old 09-06-11, 10:48 AM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like your front derailleur doesn't have enough clearance. This is pretty simple to fix by adjusting the appropriate limit screw. During transportation, the limit screw may have been rattled enough to loosen a little bit, causing the derailleur to come slightly out of alignment and start rubbing on the chain. Search youtube and you'll find plenty of instructional videos. Find one with a speaker you can understand and follow the directions from there.

If that doesn't help, seek out a professional.
Old 09-06-11, 10:54 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like your FD was pushed inward out of adjustment
Old 09-06-11, 11:08 AM
liquefied

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the FD preventing the chain from clearing the big chainring or is the chain rubbing it on its own?
Old 09-06-11, 11:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,814 Posts
yeah, definitely sounds like the angle of the FD got changed (something caused the FD to turn, though I'd guess outward not inward based on the fact that it only rubs in the small chainring).

Old 09-06-11, 11:14 AM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
sounds like your FD was pushed inward out of adjustment
Yes, ^ this. The 'entire' FD was pushed in during transport more than likely, not a limit screw adjustment. Check YouTube for that. You will simply loosen the cable, then loosen the FD and realign it to the large chain ring.
Old 09-12-11, 05:51 AM
Seagull84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turns out it was the hangar, it was bent from my most recent fall.
Old 09-12-11, 09:30 AM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread would have required only one response if you had just said from the start, "From my most recent fall, my front derailleur is not shifting correctly." (unbelievable)