Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 8-speed downtube shifters and Suntour Winner 7-speed freewheel: Compatible?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shimano 8-speed downtube shifters and Suntour Winner 7-speed freewheel: Compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 11:52 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm considering using Shimano 8-speed indexed 600 series downtube shifters with a 13-24 seven speed freewheel and a Shimano 7 & 8 speed XT rear derailleur.

Will in provide indexed shifting and work well?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-06-14, 02:48 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
"Negative" would be my best guess to your query. The rear freewheel isn't particularly consisted in its cog to cog spacing. Why not just rotate the adjustment ring on the down tube shifter to the friction setting?
Old 06-06-14, 08:15 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
off 0.2mm/shift.
adjust to accurate in the 4th cog, and the max misalignment at each end = 0.6mm
some say it's good enough.
I'd rather use 7s downtube 600 shifters
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 06-06-14, 08:50 PM
GrayJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
It would probably work better if you disassemble the freewheel and use callipers to measure all the existing cogs and spacers, then use sandpaper to lap the spacers thinner where needed in order to get them right for the 4.8mm c-c cog spacing that 8s shimano shifting was designed for. Using a 9 speed chain may also help since the space between the relatively wide suntour cogs will need to be reduced.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Frame and Cassette Spacing Crib Sheet
Old 06-06-14, 08:51 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 641 Posts
I would say negative also your setup should work if you change the right downtube shifter a 7s Shimano with a slight glich between 3 and forth. Yet for this setup I would buy a 8s freehweel spaced for your Shimano stuff and space and redish slightly as needed to get everything to work nicely. Then maybe change you big or front chainring to get your desired gearing. Not very expensive $20 for the freewheel and $10 for the chainring. You can sell off the 7s speed winner here or Ebay for $25-30 bucks to cover most of the cost.

Last edited by zukahn1; 06-06-14 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-07-14, 05:50 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Thanks for the input. I'm currently using an 8 speed Shimano cassette with good results. However the rims need replacing. I have multiple sets of wheels with 126mms wide hubs for freewheel. I also have a 13-24 seven speed Suntour Winner freewheel. The logical thing to do is: switch to friction mode with the existing shifters, or install 7 speed indexed shifters. I like Suntour Barcons, so that's another option.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-07-14, 06:01 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Thanks for the input. I'm currently using an 8 speed Shimano cassette with good results. However the rims need replacing. I have multiple sets of wheels with 126mms wide hubs for freewheel. I also have a 13-24 seven speed Suntour Winner freewheel. The logical thing to do is: switch to friction mode with the existing shifters, or install 7 speed indexed shifters. I like Suntour Barcons, so that's another option.

Just use a Shimano 7 speed freewheel, they are available on line cheap. Limit out one end.
Old 06-07-14, 06:25 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by wrk101
Just use a Shimano 7 speed freewheel, they are available on line cheap. Limit out one end.
Is the cog spacing on the seven speed freewheel compatible with a 8-speed indexed shifter?
Old 06-07-14, 07:04 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is the cog spacing on the seven speed freewheel compatible with a 8-speed indexed shifter?
The issue I see is that some of the 7 speed Suntour freewheels had variable spacing between cogs as Masi61 stated. You could use the link in Gray Jay's post to see what we're talking about. If the freewheel you have is variably spaced, you need to use an Accushift 7 speed setup if you want indexing. Wrk101's suggestion is very good as well, as the Shimano 7 speed freewheel is really close to the 8 speed spacing and would work pretty well. I think you've got enough good info here to get 'r done
Old 06-07-14, 10:59 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 641 Posts
Yes but you will only get 7 and have to hard limit the shifter and rd to 7.
Old 06-07-14, 12:39 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Seven speed Shimano, near identical to Shimano 8 speed.
Old 06-07-14, 04:56 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayJay
...Using a 9 speed chain may also help since the space between the relatively wide suntour cogs will need to be reduced...

Either the Suntour or Shimano 7s freewheels would work if adjusted carefully, but as GrayJay mentioned a narrower nine-speed chain will make either freewheel's spacing mis-match more forgiving of the adjustment difficulty and of the degree of effort needed in moving the shift lever carefully while riding.

Some good-quality heat-shrink tubing over the length of cable that wraps around the shifter's spool will also effect a slightly-longer cable pull, which will likely be beneficial to either of these freewheels, particularly a Shimano freewheel.
You can find a (Shimano 7s-spaced) 7s Sunrace freewheel in 13-25t for less than $20 online, and it worked on my Campag Xenon Syncho 7s setup once I replaced the 7s chain with a 9s chain. With the 7s chain I could not achieve a satisfactory adjustment, but now it works extremely well.