Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me what I need to connect to Zwift?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can someone tell me what I need to connect to Zwift?

Old 02-14-18, 03:41 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying zwift on the phone is a different program than zwift on a PC?
Yep, several times.

The phone program is just a game controller. Like a remote control with some data readouts and a rider cursor on a map depiction. The computer-resident program is the whole enchilada.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 02-14-18 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 03:50 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yep, several times.

The phone program is just a game controller. Like a remote control with some data readouts and a rider cursor on a map depiction. The computer-resident program is the whole enchilada.
I _think_ you've described zwift connect, the companion app. I _think_ the full zwift simulation is available as a separate app.

here is a demo of it.

Old 02-14-18, 03:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by nycphotography
I _think_ you've described zwift connect, the companion app. I _think_ the full zwift simulation is available as a separate app.

here is a demo of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgh2RVEEwVk
I hate when that happens. So if this is true, what is OP’s problem?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-18, 04:08 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
the full zwift simulation is available as a separate app.
Yes, as others have also written. The full Zwift app is on iOS. It's been out since around fall/winter of 2016/17. Here's the link if anyone needs it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zwift/id1134655040?mt=8 .

Still, I'd recommend getting the Apple TV 4K. An iPhone running Mobile Link plus Apple TV running Zwift beats Zwift on the iPhone. And the 4K gives higher quality video for not much more cost than the previous generation Apple TV (which was the 4th generation).

Last edited by Athens80; 02-14-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 04:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I am at a loss to understand the concern with video quality for Zwift. It is a cartoon, folks. Any normal PC that isn’t more than 5 years old will do. The one I have driving a 4K monitor is a 4 year old piece of junk. All the little figures go flashing across the screen just fine.
Giving you credit for the truth in everything you said, you still didn’t explain why the most basic PC graphics isn’t plenty good enough even for output to an excellent monitor.
A game is not 2D video... it's a 2D rendering of a 3D environment. A GPU needs to calculate everything in this 3D environment, so the more horsepower you have, the better and more immersive it can be. You'll be able to see more distant objects, more detailed surfaces (textured, reflective, etc), more realistic and dynamic lighting/shading, you'll be able to have more characters/avatars on-screen at any given moment and on and on, all without missing a beat (dropping frames, tearing, stuttering, etc).

With meager processing... yeah, some of the best-looking graphics engines will be diminished to looking like ****ty cartoons.
Old 02-14-18, 04:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A game is not 2D video... it's a 2D rendering of a 3D environment. A GPU needs to calculate everything in this 3D environment, so the more horsepower you have, the better and more immersive it can be. You'll be able to see more distant objects, more detailed surfaces (textured, reflective, etc), more realistic and dynamic lighting/shading, you'll be able to have more characters/avatars on-screen at any given moment and on and on, all without missing a beat (dropping frames, tearing, stuttering, etc).

With meager processing... yeah, some of the best-looking graphics engines will be diminished to looking like ****ty cartoons.
Okay.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-18, 04:34 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
The OP, at the moment, can run Zwift on his iPhone as long as the sensors connected to his trainer are bluetooth+ compatible (Apple and Ant+ do not work together).

To do this he simply downloads the Zwift app from the itunes app store and off he goes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zwift/id1134655040?mt=8. If the small display of the iphone is a problem then he could try casting the iphone to his TV (this may or may not work as has been pointed out) or use a lightning to HDMI cable.

As has been pointed out there are two apps for Zwift, one is called Zwift mobile link https://itunes.apple.com/my/app/zwif...934083691?mt=8. Mobile link was created back when Zwift only ran on PC or Mac and it is a glorified remote control for the PC and Mac versions of Zwift. Just over a year ago Zwift released the iOS version of Zwift which runs the 3D world on iphones, ipods and ipads (the one I linked to in the previous paragraph). This program is not quite as detailed as the PC and Mac versions but then the PC and Mac versions aren't exactly photoreal.

Recently Zwift has released the AppleTV version of Zwift. This installs the Zwift app onto a compatible AppleTV. Currently, this is the cheapest way to get into Zwift if you don't already have a device to run Zwift on (ie a PC, Mac or iphone, ipad or itouch). Again, be aware that the Apple versions of Zwift only work with bluetooth sensors and are not compatible with Ant+ sensors. The OP could buy a current AppleTV and connect it to his TV, download the Zwift app to the AppleTV and off he goes. This review of Zwift and Apple TV is about as comprehensive as you can get: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...ple-tv-4k.html
Old 02-14-18, 05:20 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Giving you credit for the truth in everything you said, you still didn’t explain why the most basic PC graphics isn’t plenty good enough even for output to an excellent monitor.
Having seen it on most basic graphics...better graphics do improve the immersion into the game in my opinion. Do you “need better graphics? No but for $180 the AppleTV 4K gives graphics better than a bottom end pc for less money.

There are 2 Zwift apps for iOS devices: the Zwift app which is how you ride and Zwift Mobile Link which allows you to control in game functions and chat. The can’t be used together on the same device simultaneously. But if you run Zwift on a PC or AppleTV you can then use ZML on your phone.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 02-15-18 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 06:47 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Haver no seen t on most basic graphics...better graphics do improve the immersion into the game in my opinion. Do you “need better graphics? No but for $180 the AppleTV 4K gives graphics better than a bottom end pc for less money.

There are 2 Zwift apps for iOS devices: the Zwift app which is how you ride and Zwift Mobile Link which allows you to control in game functions and chat. The can’t be used together on the same device simultaneously. But if you run Zwift on a PC or AppleTV you can then use ZML on your phone.
Thanks. I was extrapolating a bit too far from my own experience. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-18, 06:56 PM
rpenmanparker 

Haver no seen t on most basic graphics...better graphics do improve the immersion into the game in my opinion. Do you “need better graphics? No but for $180 the AppleTV 4K gives graphics better than a bottom end pc for less money.

Thanks. I thought there were Ant+ dongles for the Lightening plug on Apple phones. No?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-18, 08:27 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Thanks. I thought there were Ant+ dongles for the Lightening plug on Apple phones. No?
Not that I have seen. Wahoo makes a 30 pin dongle that you can then adapt to lightning but honestly I’m not sure if the iOS version is able to use that. That is one area I have no experience.

Ok just did some research and it looks like the Wahoo dongle mayno lnger be made and it isn’t supported by the latest iOS software. So that isn’t a viable option. Honestly for the cost of that adapter and the 30 pin to lightning adapter the Cable is about the same. https://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2Y_UBRCGARIsALglqQ0ZFlBAzOrSMQSPTB1sTWHLzMmVQc2sEdQZAmvI9PWttYAbdH1AJfQaAkrEEALw_wcB
Old 02-14-18, 08:42 PM
rpenmanparker 

Not that I have seen. Wahoo makes a 30 pin dongle that you can then adapt to lightning but honestly I’m not sure if the iOS version is able to use that. That is one area I have no experience.

Ok just did some research and it looks like the Wahoo dongle mayno lnger be made and it isn’t supported by the latest iOS software. So that isn’t a viable option. Honestly for the cost of that adapter and the 30 pin to lightning adapter the Cable is about the same. CABLE - Home - Connect ANT+ to BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)
Right, and the best solution as long as you have Bluetooth capable trainer and other data generating devices.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-18, 09:11 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Right, and the best solution as long as you have Bluetooth capable trainer and other data generating devices.
Just to be clear. If you have Bluetooth capable trainer and data collectors you don’t need the cable on iOS or AppleTV. The Cable is only if you have ant+ data collectors.
Old 02-15-18, 07:56 AM
whitemax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
The OP, at the moment, can run Zwift on his iPhone as long as the sensors connected to his trainer are bluetooth+ compatible (Apple and Ant+ do not work together).

To do this he simply downloads the Zwift app from the itunes app store and off he goes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zwift/id1134655040?mt=8. If the small display of the iphone is a problem then he could try casting the iphone to his TV (this may or may not work as has been pointed out) or use a lightning to HDMI cable.

As has been pointed out there are two apps for Zwift, one is called Zwift mobile link https://itunes.apple.com/my/app/zwif...934083691?mt=8. Mobile link was created back when Zwift only ran on PC or Mac and it is a glorified remote control for the PC and Mac versions of Zwift. Just over a year ago Zwift released the iOS version of Zwift which runs the 3D world on iphones, ipods and ipads (the one I linked to in the previous paragraph). This program is not quite as detailed as the PC and Mac versions but then the PC and Mac versions aren't exactly photoreal.

Recently Zwift has released the AppleTV version of Zwift. This installs the Zwift app onto a compatible AppleTV. Currently, this is the cheapest way to get into Zwift if you don't already have a device to run Zwift on (ie a PC, Mac or iphone, ipad or itouch). Again, be aware that the Apple versions of Zwift only work with bluetooth sensors and are not compatible with Ant+ sensors. The OP could buy a current AppleTV and connect it to his TV, download the Zwift app to the AppleTV and off he goes. This review of Zwift and Apple TV is about as comprehensive as you can get: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...ple-tv-4k.html

Many thanks to all that have responded in effort to clear some of this up for this technological ignoramous. Instead of replying to a number of different posts here as there are several different ideas, I'll just use this one.

To be clear, I'll be using a smart trainer, leaning towards the Elite Direto which both Ant+ and Bluetooth. Sounds as if I can simply download the Zwift app to my phone and then connect to the tv via the Apple lightning adapter. Then I could also download the Zwift Mobile Link and control the program with the phone. Will the tv screen be full or small like on the phone using this method? I have a friend with Cyclops Magnus trainer with Android phone and he uses an Ant+ dongle. I suppose my using the Apple Lightning adapter would be about the same except for my situation where I am bluetooth?

Or, go with the Apple TV method which perhaps make navigating the whole thing a bit easier? Sounds like the picture quality would be best this way.

My Imac computer which is downstairs is about 8 years old, has plenty of HDMI ports. For some strange reason, going to the app store on it, Zwift or Traineroad is not found. No problem on the phone.

One final question, in watching the video by DC Rainmaker using the Apple TV, it shows him downloading the app (which he says is free) and then he logs in and starts riding. Where is the part where you have to pay, seems like you'd have to do that before you ever got to the part where you created login passwords.

Thanks again to all!
Old 02-15-18, 08:31 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by whitemax
Many thanks to all that have responded in effort to clear some of this up for this technological ignoramous. Instead of replying to a number of different posts here as there are several different ideas, I'll just use this one.

To be clear, I'll be using a smart trainer, leaning towards the Elite Direto which both Ant+ and Bluetooth. Sounds as if I can simply download the Zwift app to my phone and then connect to the tv via the Apple lightning adapter. Then I could also download the Zwift Mobile Link and control the program with the phone. Will the tv screen be full or small like on the phone using this method? I have a friend with Cyclops Magnus trainer with Android phone and he uses an Ant+ dongle. I suppose my using the Apple Lightning adapter would be about the same except for my situation where I am bluetooth?

Or, go with the Apple TV method which perhaps make navigating the whole thing a bit easier? Sounds like the picture quality would be best this way.

My Imac computer which is downstairs is about 8 years old, has plenty of HDMI ports. For some strange reason, going to the app store on it, Zwift or Traineroad is not found. No problem on the phone.

One final question, in watching the video by DC Rainmaker using the Apple TV, it shows him downloading the app (which he says is free) and then he logs in and starts riding. Where is the part where you have to pay, seems like you'd have to do that before you ever got to the part where you created login passwords.

Thanks again to all!
Ok so using your phone to run the Zwift main app...NO you cannot also run Zwift Mobile Link (ZML) at the same time. You wouldn't actually need to because your phone would be right there. Now if you're going to be doing much Zwifting you will still want ZML if you go this route because it allows you to see and sign up for things like upcoming rides/races. If you extend to your TV through the AV adapter cable then you will have a full screen Zwift experience, not just a small image.

Here's what ZML looks like when not Zwifting:

Just remove the iMac from your thoughts. If it's in another room it doesn't matter that you have it. You COULD use it if you want to but it would need to be in the same room.

I'd highly suggest the AppleTV route as they are fairly inexpensive, have wonderful graphics and would allow you to use ZML in game on your phone. Plus you can use it for other things when you're not Zwifting.

Here's my personal setup. My girlfriend and I ride at the same time and she uses a Dell XPS 15" laptop while I use a Dell XPS desktop out to a 27" monitor and a 21" monitor. It's nice having the dual screens for watching Netflix or listening to music on Pandora or whatever while we ride. Desk is a height adjustable sit/stand unit so that the top is even with the tops of our bars.

Edit: Oh and where you pay. Yes the apps and the PC/Mac software is free as is your first 7 days. After you create an account for your 7 day trial you can log in at Zwift.com and manage your account where you can find the billing section.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 02-15-18 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 12:58 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I would START w/ the iPhone and no ZML app, communicating via bluetooth, and maybe with a HDMI cable to a 1080p tv.

Use it for a bit. Decide what you really want for long term.

If you have to buy hardware to run zwift, I would NOT buy the Apple TV (unless you already want it for it's own sake) because for the trainer, the apple tv serves no purpose other than zwift and pretty much only zwift.

If you get a basic $300 windows laptop, you can run zwift, rouvy, trainerroad, and pretty much anything else that may come along.
Old 02-15-18, 01:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

I would START w/ the iPhone and no ZML app, communicating via bluetooth, and maybe with a HDMI cable to a 1080p tv.

Use it for a bit. Decide what you really want for long term.

If you have to buy hardware to run zwift, I would NOT buy the Apple TV (unless you already want it for it's own sake) because for the trainer, the apple tv serves no purpose other than zwift and pretty much only zwift.

If you get a basic $300 windows laptop, you can run zwift, rouvy, trainerroad, and pretty much anything else that may come along.
This is a sensible approach.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-15-18, 02:27 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

I'm sorry but any laptop that costs $300 is pure garbage and you're just going to be getting a new one soon. Either spend $1000 on a reasonable laptop or save tons and get the AppleTV which if you're an Apple user (the OP is as he has an iPhone and iMac) has other uses like streaming your iTunes library. I've got 2 AppleTVs and haven't used either one for Zwift yet...but they get used almost every day.

Oh and you can also get an AppleTV 4K for free from DirecTV if you sign up and pay for 3 months of their streaming service.
Old 02-15-18, 02:42 PM
rpenmanparker 

I'm sorry but any laptop that costs $300 is pure garbage and you're just going to be getting a new one soon. Either spend $1000 on a reasonable laptop or save tons and get the AppleTV which if you're an Apple user (the OP is as he has an iPhone and iMac) has other uses like streaming your iTunes library. I've got 2 AppleTVs and haven't used either one for Zwift yet...but they get used almost every day.

Oh and you can also get an AppleTV 4K for free from DirecTV if you sign up and pay for 3 months of their streaming service.
I really can't fault your preference for the Apple TV. If that works well, then why not?

I will dispute your opinion about cheap laptops however. I never spend more than $400 for a laptop. Been using that level of computer for many years. The ones I get work great for my general type of computing (Office, Edge, other basics) with some Photoshop and now the Zwift thrown in. I don't game at all. After 4 or 5 years when it is time to buy a new one, I still have over half my hard drive empty and plenty of room in my RAM. The speed is quite acceptable for my needs. My graphics appearance with the cheap laptop and decent monitor is quite good. In fact the last new laptop I bought wasn't even an upgrade over the old one. Essentially the same specs and capacities. Didn't need anything better. I just wanted to move to a smaller display and footprint for travel convenience.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-15-18, 03:24 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok so using your phone to run the Zwift main app...NO you cannot also run Zwift Mobile Link (ZML) at the same time. You wouldn't actually need to because your phone would be right there. Now if you're going to be doing much Zwifting you will still want ZML if you go this route because it allows you to see and sign up for things like upcoming rides/races. If you extend to your TV through the AV adapter cable then you will have a full screen Zwift experience, not just a small image.

Here's what ZML looks like when not Zwifting:

Just remove the iMac from your thoughts. If it's in another room it doesn't matter that you have it. You COULD use it if you want to but it would need to be in the same room.

I'd highly suggest the AppleTV route as they are fairly inexpensive, have wonderful graphics and would allow you to use ZML in game on your phone. Plus you can use it for other things when you're not Zwifting.

Here's my personal setup. My girlfriend and I ride at the same time and she uses a Dell XPS 15" laptop while I use a Dell XPS desktop out to a 27" monitor and a 21" monitor. It's nice having the dual screens for watching Netflix or listening to music on Pandora or whatever while we ride. Desk is a height adjustable sit/stand unit so that the top is even with the tops of our bars.

Edit: Oh and where you pay. Yes the apps and the PC/Mac software is free as is your first 7 days. After you create an account for your 7 day trial you can log in at Zwift.com and manage your account where you can find the billing section.

Right, the Imac is out of the equation. Im a tad confused when you say you can't run both the Zwift and ZML at the same time. Are you saying the Apple TV will have the Zwift app on it and then my phone would have the ZML app on it which can run together? In that case I would launch the Zwift app and then use the phone with ZML to control it on Apple TV?
Old 02-15-18, 04:14 PM
rpenmanparker 

Right, the Imac is out of the equation. Im a tad confused when you say you can't run both the Zwift and ZML at the same time. Are you saying the Apple TV will have the Zwift app on it and then my phone would have the ZML app on it which can run together? In that case I would launch the Zwift app and then use the phone with ZML to control it on Apple TV?
You do run them at the same time, but only when the main Zwift app is not on the phone. When the Zwift app is on a computer or I guess Apple TV, etc., then you use the mobile app on the phone as a companion controller. When the main Zwift app is actually on the phone, then you don't need the mobile app to operate the game. You use the main app alone to access all the functions and control the game. You can still have the mobile app on the phone too, but not to use along with the main Zwift app. You would just use the mobile app for the events and other features that it offers separately.

Another helpful hint, the main Zwift app icon is orange no matter where it is located. The mobile app is blue on the phone. So to put it all another way, you can use the orange app on a computer with the blue app on the phone. Or you can use the orange app on the phone by itself. You can't use the orange app and the blue app together when both are on the phone.

Simple, right?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-15-18, 04:48 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

You do run them at the same time, but only when the main Zwift app is not on the phone. When the Zwift app is on a computer or I guess Apple TV, etc., then you use the mobile app on the phone as a companion controller. When the main Zwift app is actually on the phone, then you don't need the mobile app to operate the game. You use the main app alone to access all the functions and control the game. You can still have the mobile app on the phone too, but not to use along with the main Zwift app. You would just use the mobile app for the events and other features that it offers separately.

Another helpful hint, the main Zwift app icon is orange no matter where it is located. The mobile app is blue on the phone. So to put it all another way, you can use the orange app on a computer with the blue app on the phone. Or you can use the orange app on the phone by itself. You can't use the orange app and the blue app together when both are on the phone.

Simple, right?
^^^What he said^^^

I was saying that you can't run ZML and the Zwift app at the same time on the phone itself if you use your phone for Zwift and run the AV cable to the TV. But again even if you're going to run the Zwift app from your phone get ZML on your phone as it's easier to sign up for events that way.
Old 02-17-18, 06:20 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Many thanks again to all that responded. I sprung for the Direto and it is due from CC (really like them) later today. I went ahead and downloaded the ZML on the phone. It prompted me “for my Zwift login and password”. I don’t have one yet. I presume that i’ll have to set that up first on the Zwift app? Planning to get an Apple TV later today as several have recommended.
Old 02-17-18, 07:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Many thanks again to all that responded. I sprung for the Direto and it is due from CC (really like them) later today. I went ahead and downloaded the ZML on the phone. It prompted me “for my Zwift login and password”. I don’t have one yet. I presume that i’ll have to set that up first on the Zwift app? Planning to get an Apple TV later today as several have recommended.
Good luck with the direto. Check out the Direto users' group on facebook as well; it's good for support and setup questions as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380212845399014/
Old 02-17-18, 06:12 PM
ThunderOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Please let us know how it works out for you.

And how much does Zwift cost?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.