Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me what I need to connect to Zwift?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can someone tell me what I need to connect to Zwift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 06:17 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ThunderOne
Thanks for this thread. Please let us know how it works out for you.

And how much does Zwift cost?
New users are $15 a month.
Old 02-17-18, 06:46 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
If you buy either the CycleOps Magnus or Hammer from Zwift, you get a year of Zwift included in the price. It is not the cheapest price for the trainer, however. Nevertheless a nice discount on the app charges when all is said and done.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-20-18, 12:32 PM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a desktop computer running windows 10 and connecting wireless to my router. I would like to move this computer in front of the Kinetic Smart Trainer.

Can I just start Zwift and be connected to the computer without the use of any android phone? Or, do I need to use the small phone as well?
Old 10-20-18, 02:43 PM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by grall1126
I have a desktop computer running windows 10 and connecting wireless to my router. I would like to move this computer in front of the Kinetic Smart Trainer.

Can I just start Zwift and be connected to the computer without the use of any android phone? Or, do I need to use the small phone as well?
The "Kinetic Road Machine | Smart" specs list only Bluetooth connectivity. The PC needs ANT+ signals OR the use of the Zwift Companion app running on a capable iOS or Android device. The companion app receives the Bluetooth signals and sends the info to Zwift. Zwift on PC does not work directly with Bluetooth devices. The PC application works directly with many training devices which are either ANT+ only or the more common dual ANT+ and Bluetooth.
Old 10-20-18, 02:54 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You can. Just download Zwift from the website stick your monitor if front of you and go. You'll have to go bluetooth or USB Ant+ plugin to control the trainer and interact with the game.
Edit to add: I stand corrected, I was unaware the PC doesn't support Bluetooth my Apple does.

Last edited by ddub; 10-20-18 at 02:58 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-22-18, 02:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
all this tech stuff sounds like a nightmare. i thought strava could be a pita. glad to live where i do so that indoor/virtual riding is less of an incentive.
i realize that it's a potential game-changer for those that don't live in as boring-*ss of a climate as i do. hope it gets more simplified/less expensive
for y'all but given the tech factor and the sport, i'm less than optimistic.
Old 10-23-18, 06:18 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
all this tech stuff sounds like a nightmare. i thought strava could be a pita. glad to live where i do so that indoor/virtual riding is less of an incentive.
i realize that it's a potential game-changer for those that don't live in as boring-*ss of a climate as i do. hope it gets more simplified/less expensive
for y'all but given the tech factor and the sport, i'm less than optimistic.
Seriously. Sounds like it'd be cheaper for me to move back to San Diego than it is to set up a virtual trainer lol
Old 10-23-18, 06:51 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
All kidding aside, it's not too much of a hassle IMO. I use a Wahoo Kickr Snap, and macbook. Works great. I do have an external video display which helps but not necessary, and the companion iPhone app, which works as a remote control and helps but again not necessary. One "glitch" is that if you use a smartphone it must have connectivity with the computer. Or you can use JUST the smartphone app.

It's a pretty cool toy that makes the trainer more like a video game. Pre-Zwift I would only last 15-20 minutes on the trainer before giving up in disgust/boredom. Post Zwift, I am able to do group rides and have some fun and last 60 minutes or even longer.

YMMV
Old 10-23-18, 08:19 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I'm confused why people end up spending so much on Zwift setups.

My budget-y setup:
Windows 7 gaming laptop from 2010 (or so)
ANT+ USB dongle ($15) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXXDBNK
The Cyclops fluid 2 (rebranded TREK) ($free on semi-permanent loan from a friend. Seen these show up on CL for $50-75)
Garmin speed and cadence sensors on crank and rear wheel (<$50) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JM6DKUA

Optional:
zwift companion app on phone

I'm currently waiting on the wife to approve the decision to replace the TV in the livingroom so I can move it out to the garage and HDMI it up too the laptop. Then I'll be able to race the other cartoon characters more effectively this winter!
Old 10-23-18, 06:47 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug

My budget-y setup:
The Cyclops fluid 2 (rebranded TREK) ($free on semi-permanent loan from a friend. Seen these show up on CL for $50-75)
Garmin speed and cadence sensors on crank and rear wheel (<$50) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JM6DKUA

Optional:

I'm currently waiting on the wife to approve the decision to replace the TV in the livingroom so I can move it out to the garage and HDMI it up too the laptop. Then I'll be able to race the other cartoon characters more effectively this winter!
Thanks for the info. I've been looking into this type of simple setup, just I need to know. I already have Garmin Speed/Cadence sensors, the Cyclops trainer, and PC, now I need the dongle . KB.

Question, can you race against yourself ?

Last edited by kcblair; 10-23-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 07:43 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
Question, can you race against yourself ?
I'm not entirely sure. I can't say as I've tried. In southern california, we're still mostly riding outside, so... I'mm probably know this answer in a month or so.
Old 10-23-18, 07:59 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
Seriously. Sounds like it'd be cheaper for me to move back to San Diego than it is to set up a virtual trainer lol
right?!
Old 10-24-18, 06:16 AM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Cheaper?
  • Setting up the "virtual" part of the trainer requires a recent smart phone and a subscription to Zwift or other service. Some cyclists already have a smart phone. Or AppleTV will do.
  • The non-virtual part of the trainer requires a trainer, a speed sensor or power meter, and a fan. Things that people using trainers already have.
You can always spend more on the computer if you want, just like you can always spend more for Meilenstein Lightweight wheels.
Old 10-24-18, 08:38 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Originally Posted by Athens80
Cheaper?
  • Setting up the "virtual" part of the trainer requires a recent smart phone and a subscription to Zwift or other service. Some cyclists already have a smart phone. Or AppleTV will do.
  • The non-virtual part of the trainer requires a trainer, a speed sensor or power meter, and a fan. Things that people using trainers already have.
You can always spend more on the computer if you want, just like you can always spend more for Meilenstein Lightweight wheels.
Wooh, why a smart phone ? According the Zwift website, a PC is needed. Which I assumed we all have , and how can you see anythimg on a small phone screen ?
Old 10-24-18, 08:40 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

I'm not entirely sure. I can't say as I've tried. In southern california, we're still mostly riding outside, so... I'mm probably know this answer in a month or so.
well, I guess I met ride courses or roads myself, looks like I should, looking at their sale info. Thanks . You can't ride year round in So. Cal ? I usually can ride through Nov. But this year, too much rain and nnow in the 40's. KB.
Old 10-24-18, 09:30 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
"now in the 40's" = can't ride outside.

Old 10-24-18, 10:39 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
well, I guess I met ride courses or roads myself, looks like I should, looking at their sale info. Thanks . You can't ride year round in So. Cal ? I usually can ride through Nov. But this year, too much rain and nnow in the 40's. KB.
weather is not the only factor. light, time and traffic play a role which is why I finally gave in and bought a trainer living in southern california. If I want to get in any riding during the week now I have to wake up at 6am and be done by 7am. Sun starts coming up around 7am now. I don't want to ride in the dark especially since the roads by my home have 50mph speed limits which means half awake people rushing to work and doing 60-70 mph in the 50 mph zone and not paying attention for cyclists. But time is more important. If I wake up at 6am and get on my bike and out the door into traffic I maybe get 45 minutes of actual bike time and some of that is sitting at red lights etc where as I can get on the trainer and actually get a harder workout spinning not stop for 45-60 minutes
Old 10-24-18, 11:41 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Originally Posted by rms13
weather is not the only factor. light, time and traffic play a role which is why I finally gave in and bought a trainer living in southern california. If I want to get in any riding during the week now I have to wake up at 6am and be done by 7am. Sun starts coming up around 7am now. I don't want to ride in the dark especially since the roads by my home have 50mph speed limits which means half awake people rushing to work and doing 60-70 mph in the 50 mph zone and not paying attention for cyclists. But time is more important. If I wake up at 6am and get on my bike and out the door into traffic I maybe get 45 minutes of actual bike time and some of that is sitting at red lights etc where as I can get on the trainer and actually get a harder workout spinning not stop for 45-60 minutes
Yep, safety first. Guess I'm spoiled, I roll out of my driveway and in the country in less than 1 mile. But, got to deal with winter in this part of the country. I grew up in Monterrey , Ca, before joining the USAF in 1965, Lived all over the world.

Now I move indoors and with Youtube, (GCN), started a real training routine. Looking forward to giving Zwift a try this winter. KB
Old 10-24-18, 11:44 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

[QUOTE=nycphotography;20631158]"now in the 40's" = can't ride outside.

[/QUOT
Looks like the comics are out. Yep, indoors @ 50. Been riding in all sorts of weather over the past 50+ years, at age 71, time to move indoors, to keep the training level up for Spring. KB
Old 10-24-18, 03:22 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts

My budget-y setup:

Optional:

Exactly my set up. Cheap trainer (relatively), speed and cadence sensors (Wahoo) is all you need to train indoor (assuming you have a device that can display how fast you're going/spinning. You can entertain yourself by watching cycling videos on youtube, there's quite a bit.
I ran into all kinds of trouble trying to get the Zwift companion app to forward my data to the app, so I just bought a $15 ANT+ dongle for the laptop. Problem solved. Also had issues with cheap Amazon coin cell batteries but after figuring that one out the setup has been solid.
It's really not that difficult.
Old 10-24-18, 05:52 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I'm glad to see you on the trainers, glad to see you outside, glad to see you riding.

Doesn't mean I can't have good chuckle at what constitutes challenging weather.
Old 10-24-18, 06:13 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Cheaper?
If by "smart phone" you mean Apple iPhone SE/5s or higher. Zwift isn't officially available on Android (other then companion app). It's in Beta now and from what I see on the forum you basically need a Android phone that is in the $600-1000 range to be able to run the Zwift app and I would guess that most people don't have that. But of course we are dealing with cyclists who tend to have more disposable income then most so I would guess most people here have a current model iphone
Old 10-24-18, 06:21 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Exactly my set up. Cheap trainer (relatively), speed and cadence sensors (Wahoo) is all you need to train indoor (assuming you have a device that can display how fast you're going/spinning. You can entertain yourself by watching cycling videos on youtube, there's quite a bit.
I ran into all kinds of trouble trying to get the Zwift companion app to forward my data to the app, so I just bought a $15 ANT+ dongle for the laptop. Problem solved. Also had issues with cheap Amazon coin cell batteries but after figuring that one out the setup has been solid.
You don't even need a cadence sensor. Minimum required is supported dumb trainer (some of which are around $100 new) and speed sensor.

I've just been testing out Zwift for a couple of weeks but to me I can't see using it without a smart trainer that allows the software to control it. The whole point of riding in a virtual environment to me is that I am riding up a hill in the game and resistance automatically changes on the trainer to match the game. With that said I just returned the Magnus smart trainer I bought and bought a $100 fluid trainer instead. Trying to use the trainer with bluetooth and an ipad or other apps on android phone was too frustrating. I was spending 20 minutes getting the trainer connected via bluetooth and calibrated. Today the Zwift calibration failed so many times that I wasted an workout window just messing around with technology. I'll be happier staring at the wall and pedaling while I listen to music and podcasts. Maybe I'll revisit in a year or two once prices on direct drive come down a little more
Old 10-24-18, 06:31 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
where do one connect the speed and cadence sensor? to the laptop or trainer? does the sensor need to be ANT+?
Old 10-24-18, 06:42 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui
where do one connect the speed and cadence sensor? to the laptop or trainer? does the sensor need to be ANT+?

To the laptop/computer. You can use bluetooth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.