Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 09:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
I have done two 4 week FTP sessions and have taken my FTP from 240 to 276. I'm doing a mixed terrain race at the end of April, Paris to Ancaster, and hope to have my FTP up to 300 by then. Zwift can really help in bringing along performance. Only problem is now I want a power meter for riding outside!!

Zwift says my FTP is 268 (was 231 last fall when I started). I just got a power meter and will go for a first ride with it tomorrow so will see how close Zwift is. I am a bit scared the Zwift numbers are inflated but will see.
Old 02-26-18, 04:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Finally hit the 1100 watts. 4 more achievements to go!
Old 02-27-18, 09:30 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Well due to travel I haven't ridden in nearly a week and a half. Hoping to Zwift tonight which seems a shame as the weather is sort of nice out. But work schedule means it will be getting dark and cooling rapidly by the time I can actually ride. Can't wait for the time change and warm temps on the weekend to get outside and ride.
Old 02-27-18, 10:15 AM
digitalbroccoli

Bikes: 2015 Emonda S 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Well due to travel I haven't ridden in nearly a week and a half. Hoping to Zwift tonight which seems a shame as the weather is sort of nice out. But work schedule means it will be getting dark and cooling rapidly by the time I can actually ride. Can't wait for the time change and warm temps on the weekend to get outside and ride.
Same here...I hate the fact that it's going to be riding weather when I can't ride today, but when i get home later, it'll have cooled down to the point where I'll be on Zwift instead. Soon!
Old 02-27-18, 01:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well today I got the Everest challenge completed. It was great then when you check back on the challenge page it goes from 100% complete to something like 17% towards the tron bike...that was depressing. But I really want that darn tron bike!!!

Also on my first power-tap power meter test I found the numbers very interesting. So the Zwift power numbers are actually pretty close. I re-calibrated my smart trainer, and re did the bike install to make sure all was zeroed. Then I zeroed out the power meter and did some testes. Turns out according to powertap shows being maybe 5% lower than the Zwift numbers. But the 5% was pretty consistent so that was good news. I would say that is a good thing because the power reading being consistent is way more important that being 100% the same IMO. However what I thought was really interesting was when you pedaled up to high wattage Zwift numbers were lower by 7-9%. Yep when you over 1000watts on Zwift that is low. Now I only did this run up about 5 times because I was getting really tired but every time Zwift said I was at 1000 or 1100 watts my power meter said I was at 1075, and at 1100 on Zwift the PM 1210. This too was a consistent discrepancy so that is good. I thought that was really weird that it would read lower at high numbers and lower at normal numbers. I only did a few tests so its not a large sample at all but I thought it was good.
Next I will do a FTP and see how that compairs.....

Last edited by sdmc530; 02-27-18 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 08:55 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Logged into the mobile app today, was looking at my activity feed for February, when I noticed I'm at exactly 1,000 (Zwift) miles on the trainer this winter.

Kinda proud of that ... it's not a gaudy number by any stretch, but it's almost unfathomable to think that I'd willingly spend that much time on a bike trainer indoors.

One more month to go til outdoor season begins in earnest
Old 03-01-18, 10:20 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Figured out the fastest way to get XP in Zwift, I think... any improvements to this plan are welcome.

1) change your preference to KM
2) get a TT bike (no powerups, only XP, not to mention slightly faster than a road bike)
3) ride the london Classique course (about 5 km, 1 dinky "hill" so you get the free XP power up every 5 km when you go under the sprint banner)

This nets you about 12 XP per KM ridden. Since I'm doing Italy right now, I am aiming for flat and fast.
Old 03-01-18, 10:21 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Well today I got the Everest challenge completed. It was great then when you check back on the challenge page it goes from 100% complete to something like 17% towards the tron bike...that was depressing. But I really want that darn tron bike!!!

Also on my first power-tap power meter test I found the numbers very interesting. So the Zwift power numbers are actually pretty close. I re-calibrated my smart trainer, and re did the bike install to make sure all was zeroed. Then I zeroed out the power meter and did some testes. Turns out according to powertap shows being maybe 5% lower than the Zwift numbers. But the 5% was pretty consistent so that was good news. I would say that is a good thing because the power reading being consistent is way more important that being 100% the same IMO. However what I thought was really interesting was when you pedaled up to high wattage Zwift numbers were lower by 7-9%. Yep when you over 1000watts on Zwift that is low. Now I only did this run up about 5 times because I was getting really tired but every time Zwift said I was at 1000 or 1100 watts my power meter said I was at 1075, and at 1100 on Zwift the PM 1210. This too was a consistent discrepancy so that is good. I thought that was really weird that it would read lower at high numbers and lower at normal numbers. I only did a few tests so its not a large sample at all but I thought it was good.
Next I will do a FTP and see how that compairs.....
My kickr seems to read about 10% lower than my quarq (which needs to be repaired) but yeah, as long as it's consistent. I guess that means I'll get my ass kicked by people on zpower but I really don't care. I'm not racing.
Old 03-01-18, 10:55 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Figured out the fastest way to get XP in Zwift, I think... any improvements to this plan are welcome.

2) get a TT bike (no powerups, only XP, not to mention slightly faster than a road bike)
3) ride the london Classique course (about 5 km, 1 dinky "hill" so you get the free XP power up every 5 km when you go under the sprint banner)

This nets you about 12 XP per KM ridden. Since I'm doing Italy right now, I am aiming for flat and fast.
Yep, all 3 for you goal is correct but how do you overcome the boredom of that awful rout?!!
Old 03-01-18, 11:19 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Yep, all 3 for you goal is correct but how do you overcome the boredom of that awful rout?!!
I read a book yesterday, that's how.

I don't really have a lot of trainer stamina so I can tolerate an hour of the same route. I don't get it - I feel pretty wrung out after an hour on that thing but my HR never goes anywhere near as high as it does out on the road.
Old 03-01-18, 12:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I read a book yesterday, that's how.

I don't really have a lot of trainer stamina so I can tolerate an hour of the same route. I don't get it - I feel pretty wrung out after an hour on that thing but my HR never goes anywhere near as high as it does out on the road.

Yep I am with you. I have to will myself to ride more than 60 minutes...so boring sometimes. However I have done a dozen rides over 90 minutes and 2 rides over 3 hours and one ride of 6 hours (century) in this off season. I have never been a stronger cyclist than I am right now and hopes this spring when outdoor riding starts up I notice all my very hard work.

I too do struggle getting the heart rate up for very long indoors. Out of the saddle is not as effective as out doors. BUT intervals usually do the trick for me. I do hate intervals but they are so effective.
Old 03-01-18, 02:45 PM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So went out on the road again today... Second ride after loads of Zwift this winter... A bit of a longer ride felt really good, just missed two PRs on two climbs one a short bump but steep maybe 1/8 or 1/4 mile around 6% missed by missed PR by 3 seconds... Other climb a bit longer maybe 1/2 mile but it ranges from 6-11% for the majority of it... missed PR by 2 seconds... Both these PRs were set last year during the prime riding season when I was putting in a lot of time on the bike... Living in New England (US) I have never been in this good of a riding shape before riding season started... I love you Zwift.
Old 03-01-18, 03:46 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

zwift is a godsend for mixing in "off hour" riding, or off-weather in the case of you new englanders. In my case, it's hard to get outside during working hours (and we "work" from early AM through 3 am) in case of support calls, so I can ride and not feel guilty that I'm missing phone calls.

So Wednesday evening I jammed in an hour while my wife was commuting home... this morning I jammed in an hour at 7 after wife and son left for school and before I had to start working. Tomorrow I see that PACK has a group ride at 8 am my time and I don't have any calls scheduled so I might hit that. It's really given me my weekday evenings back without costing me a lack of riding.

I do like getting outside on the weekends though, one of the good things about living in SoCal.
Old 03-01-18, 03:51 PM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zwift is a godsend for mixing in "off hour" riding, or off-weather in the case of you new englanders. In my case, it's hard to get outside during working hours (and we "work" from early AM through 3 am) in case of support calls, so I can ride and not feel guilty that I'm missing phone calls.

So Wednesday evening I jammed in an hour while my wife was commuting home... this morning I jammed in an hour at 7 after wife and son left for school and before I had to start working. Tomorrow I see that PACK has a group ride at 8 am my time and I don't have any calls scheduled so I might hit that. It's really given me my weekday evenings back without costing me a lack of riding.

I do like getting outside on the weekends though, one of the good things about living in SoCal.
Yeah I am really thinking about keeping my Zwift active for the after hours or bad weather riding.
Old 03-01-18, 03:58 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

10 bucks a month is about the CHEAPEST habit I have, and the most useful. I didn't use it at all between March and September last year but I think I will this year. Of course, now I have a dedicated trainer bike too, which helps.

Say - you know that ride summary after the ride when it pulls up random souls you wheel sucked for a little while? There's a little orange shield next to them - what happens if you click on it?
Old 03-01-18, 04:14 PM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 bucks a month is about the CHEAPEST habit I have, and the most useful. I didn't use it at all between March and September last year but I think I will this year. Of course, now I have a dedicated trainer bike too, which helps.

Say - you know that ride summary after the ride when it pulls up random souls you wheel sucked for a little while? There's a little orange shield next to them - what happens if you click on it?
That is their Strava account
Old 03-01-18, 04:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

1 6 today! Finally
Old 03-01-18, 04:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by copperfind
That is their Strava account
Yeah, but what happens if you click on it... is it a follow request or just a kudo?
Old 03-01-18, 05:15 PM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, but what happens if you click on it... is it a follow request or just a kudo?
Not really sure
Old 03-01-18, 05:42 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

I was doing volcano loops for the same reason, but once I got to level 10 I switched to jungle loops just because I was tired of the volcano.
Old 03-02-18, 07:49 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I'm eyeing that Pack ride too ... falls in the mid-morning for me, but my schedule is fairly light and I work from home ... so an early lunch break would fit in nicely
Old 03-02-18, 12:34 PM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need to get another bike or another rim... Switching back and forth from trainer tire to road tire is one more thing I do not need to battle motivation to get on the trainer.
Old 03-02-18, 01:19 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Spare wheels are ALWAYS a good idea and I hear you about switching tires.
Old 03-02-18, 03:11 PM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I should do that too ... time is coming soon when it'll be 60 and sunny one day, and 40 and wet and miserable the next ...

Or just buy another bike ...
Old 03-02-18, 11:06 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
I should do that too ... time is coming soon when it'll be 60 and sunny one day, and 40 and wet and miserable the next ...

Or just buy another bike ...
like where your head is at here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.