Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I don't like the bicycle color schemes available

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I don't like the bicycle color schemes available

Old 09-08-19, 01:10 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Neither do I because unless one wants a matte black, gloss black or flat black bicycle that says Trek, Cannondale or Specialized on the frame, there is little or no other choice in most small to medium size towns. What is with the black? I have several black bikes and a black Jeep so not against black but jeeez.
Old 09-08-19, 01:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I obviously do not know the color scheme you are looking for. A couple of options you might consider: Do more searching, especially manufacturers and builders you have not checked out, look for a used bike that is only 1 or 2 years old and lightly used, there are quite a few out there. Buy the bike you really like, except for the color, and put some personal touches on it, i.e. press on decals and/or pin stripes, use the accessories you will mount to add color that fits your vision including upgraded wheels/tires if you decide to do that. You can really change the look/colors with not that much added on. It really does not add much cost because they are things you would have purchased anyway.
Old 09-08-19, 02:46 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
It does seem like most of the bikes these days are only black, or grey, if you're lucky, with a color accent here or there. It seems like at least one mfr. would offer a blue, green, red (or maybe org.) as a special order option for more $$. I'd bet they'd do well with it-wonder why they don't--could it be that much more expensive to equip a factory with a paint booth or two? Competition may be tight, but seems offering more colors could be profitable from what I read, and hear from people who have recently bought, or are in the process of buying new bikes.
Old 09-08-19, 03:37 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
What is the color that you want. Post a pic of the color.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 09-08-19, 03:50 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Huh. Guess I'm lucky; I like the various blacks (matte and gloss), charcoals, and grays that proliferate today. Quite happy with 'em. Old bike is matte gray; new bike is gloss black w/blue accents.

Goes with anything. Can't stand bikes (or kit) that look like they've been attacked by a box of crayons.
Old 09-08-19, 04:43 PM
Happytrails1963

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can relate as well to not liking the colors. Looking at Specialized and I see bikes that I like in my budget. The super expensive bikes have some nice paintwork. I have seen some used bikes with nice paint schemes, I'm not sure I want to go that route just yet. Going to visit an lbs and see what they have available. Really agree, bring back the 70/80's schemes!
Old 09-08-19, 05:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yet another instance where you have to admire the business model of eg. Ribble. Custom color painted options for much of their lineup, combined with ability to customize the actual build, and without having to call it a "project" anything... though there is a nominal upcharge. Just surprising that the middle-sized bike makers like them can do this, and Spesh/Giant whatnot can't solve for this.
Old 09-08-19, 06:46 PM
Kimberley79

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Out of curiosity, which model is it?
It's the Ariel Elite. I don't dislike gray but I really don't like that particular shade of gray. Even though it's light colored, it's still a very opaque, rainy day colored grey and I think the pink is too neon in relation to the gray. Maybe the matte finish has something to do with it, too. I might like it better if it was glossy but maybe not.
Old 09-08-19, 06:50 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I must be in the minority, as I could care less about a (single) color.
Old 09-08-19, 07:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Email the oem to see what they say.

Personally, i dislike a bicycle that contains decals that i cannot easily find replacements for. Color isn't a huge qualm.
Old 09-08-19, 10:55 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimberley79
It's the Ariel Elite. I don't dislike gray but I really don't like that particular shade of gray. Even though it's light colored, it's still a very opaque, rainy day colored grey and I think the pink is too neon in relation to the gray. Maybe the matte finish has something to do with it, too. I might like it better if it was glossy but maybe not.
The bike in question:

Personally, I don't like hybrids with suspension, but I would agree that the color is boring. The mint/kiwi of the ariel sport is much better. Maybe it's a reason to downgrade.
Old 09-08-19, 11:19 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts

I agree with the OP, I usually don't care for most of the offerings from the BIG companies so I usually look at boutique companies like Surly, Marin, Salsa, and their ilk, especially those that make steel frames. Pride of ownership is important to me, I want to be on something a little different than the masses. That said, I'd never buy a bike with the intention of immediately repainting it. If I can't find a frame of the material and color I want, I head to a custom frame builder to give me exactly what I want.

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 09-08-19 at 11:27 PM.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 09-09-19, 01:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I am considering a bike purchase but I don't really like the colors available. I like the fit of the bike but not the color. Although I can live with a color I don't like, for me, this is an important part of the enjoyment I anticipate from my new purchase. It's not just the feel, I also get pleasure from the look of the bike much like people enjoy looking at their new car. If I buy the bike for the fit, approximately how much will it cost to get it repainted? Will this void the warranty? Is there a way around this that I'm not seeing?
Don't buy it. The last thing you want to do is have to pay more money on a brand new bike just to get a color you like. Send a letter/email to the manufacture and tell him of your objection and what you prefers.

Since I have your attention, I'd like to say I don't care what wacky new trendy colors the bike comes in as long as they offer the three basic colors that few would be offended by: black, red, grey.

Painting is something you do with an old bike to add new life. Not something you should have to do with a brand new bike.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 09-09-19, 04:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I agree about that Ariel; nearly feel asleep just looking at the pic. I also need a bike I enjoy looking at, and black/grey just doesn't do it for me. So when I saw a vintage steel mountain bike at the local pawn shop for $75, I snatched it up. In five minutes it was Pretty Purple Princess Penelope. I put a good $600 into her, but she's better than any new $600 bike you can find. So don't be afraid to look around for a good used bike that you can build up the way you want, and make it the color you want. 'Cause I like my other bikes, but I love the Princess.

When finished, she'll be Perfect Purple Princess Penelope. Because I said so.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-09-19, 04:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
When finished, she'll be Perfect Purple Princess Penelope. Because I said so.
So when you go for a ride, it'll be all 4 P's?
Old 09-09-19, 05:24 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've always liked blue and white color schemes. When I was thinking about a new ride, the only thing in the model and price range that Specialized had was mostly matte black. A small mfr, Culprit, came to our club with a truck load of demos, and I fell in love with their bike. I've been a loyal Specialized rider, with an aluminum Allez, and moved up to a carbon Roubaix. I decided to go for the Culprit, happy that they offered color paint options. I had the blue and white one all spec'd out in my head, then we got hit with an unforeseen $30K plumbing blow-up. The new blue and white Culprit rode away, but I was able to score a great deal (nearly $2000 off msrp) on a demo. It's a mostly matte black natural carbon with yellow accents. So, I did end up with a black bike, but didn't turn out to be a Specialized. That was several years ago, and I see a few brightly colored Specialized now. 3 friends of mine have blue faded to purple irridiscent Roubaix that are simply stunning. Maybe next time, I'm only 70.

My first love, a blue and white Legnano Roma Olympiade, got new in '64.

My second blue and white, a 2002 Allez

Couldn't resist, another blue and white Legnano, a '61 Gran Premio.

Can't win them all, a matte black and yellow '13 Culprit. Fun bike even if its not blue and white .

Last edited by Slightspeed; 09-09-19 at 05:31 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 09-09-19, 06:10 PM
Happytrails1963

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes For Happytrails1963:
Old 09-09-19, 06:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
I am considering a bike purchase but I don't really like the colors available...
What's your budget? My wife just went through this and ended up getting a custom paint scheme on a stock frame size from a reputable manufacturer. It is a beautiful bike, however, it was a bit pricey.
Old 09-10-19, 01:00 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'd like to find a yellow bike like my old Azuki road bike that some lowlife stole from a storage shed.
Old 09-10-19, 05:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Go custom. I did. I’d post a rare photo of my ride, but I’m on tour at the moment.
Old 09-10-19, 07:14 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
inquire about a 1 off re-finish.

if they do one-off special finish's.never know till you ask. as for powder coating I had a Serotta clr 3 color fade with metallic clear coat done for $150.media blast $40. H&H powder coating in Fenton,mich. agree with todays finish's-not in the same league as say the Marin 3 color posted above.
Old 09-11-19, 08:34 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Can always go Trek P1 and they will do whatever you want on the bike.
Old 09-11-19, 02:17 PM
RabiesVax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some great advice here. I must echo the sentiment that definitely don't buy a bike you don't like the color of if you don't intend to repaint it. Your new bike should look beautiful in your eyes and entice you to ride! Also, if you can swing a repaint job, that is definitely a great way to get a beautifully unique colored bike (which I hope to do some day as well).
Old 09-11-19, 02:37 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Keep in mind that re-painting or powder-coating a frame will require you to strip all of the parts off of the bike (including the headset, bottom bracket and everything else), and then re-build it when the painting is done. Or you can pay a shop to do it, which will add to the cost.

I've had older bikes powder-coated for about $100, but I did all of my own work stripping the bike down and re-building it. And I'm just not sure this is something that makes sense for a brand new bike, particularly at this price point.

I'd just keep looking until you find that bike you love!

What are your favorite bike colors? Maybe the people on this forum could help you find something with their collective knowledge.