Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I don't understand why...

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

I don't understand why...

Old 10-31-19, 03:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9489 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
What I don't get is if people are so impatient whey don't they bag their own groceries instead of waiting for the checker to finish checking so they can begin bagging. (Yes it used to be some stores used to have dedicated baggers, but that was years ago).

I always try to be efficient and speedy at stores including bagging, but I am never impatient or in a hurry.
Whenever I bring a backpack to avoid using bags I'll just throw out, I'm much slower than the store with a standard bag. It's not just me, either. But it's not a big deal, hitting some red lights on the way home will slow me down more than using a backpack or waiting for someone to write a check.
Old 10-31-19, 03:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 159 Posts
A few years ago CA banned disposable grocery bags. Now everybody brings their own bags, or you can buy bags for 10c each (and they are larger and sturdier than the disposables). At the risk of P&R, I like the system, as I dislike waste, I was tired of disposable bags filling my kitchen closet, and it really has cut down on loose bags blowing around everywhere.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 10-31-19, 04:03 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Whenever I bring a backpack to avoid using bags I'll just throw out, I'm much slower than the store with a standard bag. It's not just me, either. But it's not a big deal, hitting some red lights on the way home will slow me down more than using a backpack or waiting for someone to write a check.
I don't quite follow the sentence/wording.

I always bring reusable bags and bag them myself. They hold a lot more and I find them quicker to bag up everything compared to using many of the plastic bags.

But since our family stopped using 'one use' plastic bags we no longer have bags for under the sink garbage.
Old 10-31-19, 08:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the world in general for my wife’s behavior at every check out register she’s ever approached....

Do absolutely nothing while waiting in line.
Do absolutely nothing while the clerk processes her items.
Only AFTER the clerk has completely finished does she...
Dig through her purse, looking for her wallet.
Leaf through a mess of every type of credit card sized plastic in her wallet.
Carefully consider her options, including questions about possible discounts depending upon her choices.
Offer her choice of payment while questioning clerk about accuracy of the charges.
Review charges.
Accept the charges.
Carefully return the payment card to the wallet.
Snap, zip, or fold the wallet.
Carefully return the wallet into the designated spot in her purse.
Snap, zip, or otherwise close the purses internal pocket.
Close the purse.
Reorient herself to the task at hand.

Heaven forbid she should decide to pay with cash. TO. THE. PENNY. Open the coin purse... OMG. We’re over 30 years together but I absolutely cannot do checkout lines with her. Nope. Not gonna do it.

-Kedosto
*deeply apologetic*
Shame on you. You knew all this when you married her.

I don't quite follow the sentence/wording.

I always bring reusable bags and bag them myself. They hold a lot more and I find them quicker to bag up everything compared to using many of the plastic bags.

But since our family stopped using 'one use' plastic bags we no longer have free bags for under the sink garbage.
Fixed.
Old 10-31-19, 09:06 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Fixed.
It is not about the money cost to me. The cost is insignificant and we buy them sometimes, but buying stuff we are wanting to minimize feels wrong. Actual garbage bags are mostly too much for what I need (a small thin bag) and the cost to me is the one time use with a larger impact than possible. A grocery bag may get two or three uses and is much less material. I compost and recycle - the rest gets taken to trash daily (or more, sometimes it takes a few days to get enough) - easy with the can being 50ft from my back door. Maybe I should buy a commercial pack of grocery bags for my daily trash? I could fill my reusable cloth bag with a package of plastic grocery bags.

Last edited by noisebeam; 10-31-19 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 03:38 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Like Chuck Berry?
He had no particular place to go though, and especially lately.
Old 11-01-19, 04:12 AM
KenCT 

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
How about the people who enter a building such as a store and then stop with an expression similar to “how did I get here” as they look around while blocking anyone else from entering.

I’ve also noticed a new version of this where a person will ride an escalator, take one step off, and then stop and look around or at their phone while the other riders start to pile up and push past them.
Old 11-01-19, 06:35 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Well, this thread went sideways pretty quick, lol.
Old 11-01-19, 07:57 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Well, this thread went sideways pretty quick, lol.
I don't understand why... you say that.
Likes For genec:
Old 11-01-19, 10:44 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 239 Posts
What I don't get is if people are so impatient whey don't they bag their own groceries instead of waiting for the checker to finish checking so they can begin bagging. (Yes it used to be some stores used to have dedicated baggers, but that was years ago).

I always try to be efficient and speedy at stores including bagging, but I am never impatient or in a hurry.
We still have dedicated baggers here at most stores, though I've been known to bag my own groceries when the store is understaffed. It brings out my 16 year old self again and I have been offered a bagger job by a store manager about 10 years ago while in my 40s.
Old 11-01-19, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9629 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
A few years ago CA banned disposable grocery bags. Now everybody brings their own bags, or you can buy bags for 10c each (and they are larger and sturdier than the disposables). At the risk of P&R, I like the system, as I dislike waste, I was tired of disposable bags filling my kitchen closet, and it really has cut down on loose bags blowing around everywhere.
I only get them when I do a major grocery run at a large, mainstream grocery store. I then use them for garbage bags as I live alone and don't generate much non-recyclable refuse. Otherwise, the day's purchases go in my Timbuk2 messenger bag. I started using my own bag long before it was an in thing. Since about 1998.
Old 11-01-19, 11:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

Sometimes I pay the 5 cents for a grocery bag, when I'm feeling especially rich. There's nothing at the pet store the cats enjoy more than an empty box or shopping bag.
Old 11-01-19, 01:09 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I don't understand why..

after 40+ years of cycling, a tailwind still fools me into thinking I'm fast.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-01-19, 05:33 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 161 Posts
People will see that you're behind them (on a closed path) then walk 10 feet and look back to see if you're still there?

2) People (esp. mature people) who look around as if they're experiencing the earth for the first time. I call these Meerkat people.

Old 11-02-19, 09:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
I don't understand why..

after 40+ years of cycling, a tailwind still fools me into thinking I'm fast.
lol me too.

But I understand why: it's called 'headwind/tailwind asymmetry', and is a fundamental trait of human nature, to underestimate their blessings and overestimate their struggles
Why Is My Life So Hard? (Ep. 280) - Freakonomics Freakonomics
Old 11-02-19, 09:16 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by KenCT View Post
How about the people who enter a building such as a store and then stop with an expression similar to “how did I get here” as they look around while blocking anyone else from entering.
There's a thing I've heard about, where the human brain does a little bit of a mini-reset when it goes through a door, like it has to re-situate itself to the new environment. It can cause people to forget why they went into a room, especially when they get older. I know I do it all the time, I need something from the garage, I walk into the garage, and then I'm 'wait, why am I here?'
Old 11-02-19, 10:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
lol me too.

But I understand why: it's called 'headwind/tailwind asymmetry', and is a fundamental trait of human nature, to underestimate their blessings and overestimate their struggles
Why Is My Life So Hard? (Ep. 280) - Freakonomics Freakonomics
Interesting article.

On a day with 6k feet of climbing and 6k feet of descending, I'll spend much more time climbing than descending. Unfair!

On an out-and-back with a headwind out and tailwind back, I'll spend much more time going into the headwind than enjoying the tailwind. Unfair!
Old 11-02-19, 10:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

On a bike, 6k descending is fun! On foot, I'd rather do 6k ascending than descending, it hurts after a while.
Old 11-02-19, 10:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

On that note, I want to be in the Enchantments again. I must be out of my damn mind. 🤪
Old 11-03-19, 09:01 AM
TakingMyTime

"I don't understand why"

When you're at the checkout and the cashier realizes that there is no price marked on your item and they have to send the bag person to go check. I mean, you have the darn store computer right there in front of you. You're telling me you can't search a product from that?
Old 11-03-19, 09:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3066 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 299 Posts
Yeah, that's a common problem at Walgreen's. They have lots of sales but for some reason it's "not in the system." To save time I'll go to the aisle myself and grab the discount tag and take it back to the cashier.

It's a combination of problems. Some stores have poor coordination of inventory control and point of sale/purchase.

And some stores are trying hard to employ people with practically zero life skills. It's an admirable effort. But to accomplish the impossible the designers of sophisticated store systems need to think like a toddler. That's incredibly difficult for people who were probably at genius level when they were 2 or 3 years old and coding at an adult level by the time they were 10. Then they're asked to turn everything into pictures of products. And it's impossible for cashiers who never learned the rudiments of addition and subtraction to manually enter the discount even when the POS terminal allows bypassing the picture/icon system to account for variances. So eventually a manager from an earlier generation that actually knew things has to come to the register to fix minor problems.

In my neighborhood I've seen some remarkable advances in life skills over time, watching some younger employees. But I've also seen some who won't even try. I remember the neighborhood Walgreen's struggling for almost a year to shape a young woman into a useful employee. But her bad attitude infected everything. It got so bad they were losing customers. People got tired of this young woman badmouthing customers in front of other customers, or being sarcastic and telling customers who came in 10 minutes before closing that the store was closed and don't expect her to ring up their purchases. I was amazed how long they put up with her. Even some trainee managers asked to be transferred to avoid dealing with one bad employee.
Old 11-03-19, 10:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
"I don't understand why"

When you're at the checkout and the cashier realizes that there is no price marked on your item and they have to send the bag person to go check. I mean, you have the darn store computer right there in front of you. You're telling me you can't search a product from that?
Sometimes they just guess at a price. Always low.
Old 11-03-19, 12:01 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post

In my neighborhood I've seen some remarkable advances in life skills over time, watching some younger employees. But I've also seen some who won't even try. I remember the neighborhood Walgreen's struggling for almost a year to shape a young woman into a useful employee. But her bad attitude infected everything. It got so bad they were losing customers. People got tired of this young woman badmouthing customers in front of other customers, or being sarcastic and telling customers who came in 10 minutes before closing that the store was closed and don't expect her to ring up their purchases. I was amazed how long they put up with her. Even some trainee managers asked to be transferred to avoid dealing with one bad employee.
We have somewhat of the same problem at the local Rite Aid. But in our case they don't seem to let them stay employed very long. They have a huge turnover.

There's nothing worse than a couple of employees talking about what time they get out, how some manager messed something up, that they're tired of either this or that etc. Those people should be written up. Although my job rarely brought me into face to face meetings with our customers, when they did I made a point of being pro-company to a fault. If you're an employee there is absolutely no reason to discuss company matters in front of customers.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 11-03-19, 02:58 PM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts
All true things thus far. I generally do not tip service people as I feel it is improper to both subsidize an employer externalizing cost to the public, & improper to interfere with the employer/employee relationship.

----Having said that: I will always tip at Bars/taverns & bikini baristas *UNTIL* They complain about how hard life is, how much bills are, how little money they have, how little baristas make, how hard it is to get up for work, how their shift relief is late, how many hours they've been there, how their boss doesn't care, how their--Yada-yada. Complaining is bad form. To customers? Inappropriate.

I don't understand the "woe is me" pity-party of entitlement. Seriously, I just wanna scream "Dude, you're young, & in a temporary disposable job. None of this matters! Change your scope, change your life! A bikini is not a life skill, no matter what your creepy uncle's friend said about your 'talent' at last years pool party."

Alas, there is a never any shortage of new baristas.

Last edited by base2; 11-03-19 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 03:47 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
That is one of the many reasons we rarely shop Walmart anymore. Too many people customers and associates both just don't care about how their actions are affecting other people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.