Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opening a beer while riding.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Opening a beer while riding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Reading the 'open container' and 'public intoxication' posts makes me happy to live were I'm at ... no cop has time to bug somebody for having a beer. They will take notice if you're at risk of injuring yourself or others, but simply having a beer out-and-about ... that alone isn't gonna get any cop's attention.
No DUI for bicycling in MN. Only motor vehicles covered by the statute.

That being said, I think it's really almost entirely a theoretical possibility in the states where it's possible to be charged for intoxicated riding. It's really not likely to be a law enforcement priority just about anywhere.
Old 11-05-19, 03:22 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
RCW 46.61.790

The condensed version:
You can not get a DUI on a bicycle.
The cop may offer to assist.
You don't have to accept assistance.
The cop may impound your bicycle if you are a danger, but they have to tell you where they are impounding it to, they have to give it back, & they can not charge an impound fee.

FWIW: I have a stainless bottle opener brazed on my touring bike frame. OEM. It gets used. Theres no sense being out in the boonies with your favorite beverage yearning for freedom while you helplessly stare in befuddled wonderment.

Free the beers!
Likes For base2:
Old 11-05-19, 04:19 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In my state (NH), the DUI statute definitely applies to bicycle riders as a bicycle is defined as a vehicle, and DUI is is defined by statute as operating a vehicle on a way while intoxicated. Open container law, however, only applies to "motor vehicles", so they can't get you for beer in the bottle cage.

A quick look at Michigan law makes it appear that OWI laws don't apply to bicyclists. The bike statute defines a bike as a "device", not a vehicle, but states that the operator of the device has all of the same duties as a driver of a vehicle "except as to the provisions which by their nature do not have application." Exclusively human-powered devices are specifically defined out of the category of vehicles. The OWI statute definitely identifies the offense as operating a vehicle while intoxicated, which by definition a bicyclist cannot do as the bicycle is not a vehicle. Open container laws likewise apply only to "vehicles".

Might have been able to get him for drunken disorderly in Michigan if his riding appeared sufficiently impaired that he put someone or something at risk: "A person who is intoxicated in a public place and who is either endangering directly the safety of another person or of property or is acting in a manner that causes a public disturbance." That's a crime. They could also take him into protective custody (non-criminal) if he's drunk. If they want to be jerks about it, I think they could get him for the drunken disorderly for endangering the safety of his own bicycle if he had tested sufficiently intoxicated (statute doesn't specify it has to be someone else's property).
I just looked up the statutes for my state, and it simply says "vehicle" and not "motor vehicle," so it's quite possible to be charged with a DUI on a bicycle, I guess. But I think most cops will likely charge for PUI instead.
Old 11-05-19, 04:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
RCW 46.61.790
FWIW: I have a stainless bottle opener brazed on my touring bike frame. OEM. It gets used. Theres no sense being out in the boonies with your favorite beverage yearning for freedom while you helplessly stare in befuddled wonderment.
FWIW I usually carry a Swiss Army-style pocket knife with me and the flat screwdriver bit also doubles as a bottle opener, so I'm good to go. If I don't carry it with me on my bike, I do have a Leatherman-type utility tool which I'm sure I could get that bottle open somehow.
Old 11-05-19, 05:09 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
In the UK you can be fined for cycling under the influence up to £1000 and if you're endangering others potentially up to £2500 but most of these instances you'd probably be offered community service instead unless it was a serious offence.

It can't affect your driving licence as you don't need a licence to ride a bicycle so whilst I've often had the wish I could cycle past a speed camera at beyond the legal limit it again isn't an offence as the speed limits only apply to vehicles you need a licence for.

Not sure how this would apply to things like red lights and cycling through them.

I'd not be a fan of trying to open / drink a beer whilst cycling as you may spill some .... and that'd be a serious waste
Old 11-05-19, 05:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
In the UK you can be fined for cycling under the influence up to £1000 and if you're endangering others potentially up to £2500 but most of these instances you'd probably be offered community service instead unless it was a serious offence.

It can't affect your driving licence as you don't need a licence to ride a bicycle so whilst I've often had the wish I could cycle past a speed camera at beyond the legal limit it again isn't an offence as the speed limits only apply to vehicles you need a licence for.

Not sure how this would apply to things like red lights and cycling through them.

I'd not be a fan of trying to open / drink a beer whilst cycling as you may spill some .... and that'd be a serious waste
To paraphrase the line in The Kingston Trio's song "COPLAS REVISITED", the line is, first vice states, "The National Safety Council urges you not to drink and ride." Next voice asks, "Why not?" First voice replies in a Mexican accent, "You may hit a bump amnd spill the whole thing".

When I first saw that video of those riders with the glass bottles I thought about the mess they'd make of the riders in the event of a crash.

Cheers
Old 11-05-19, 07:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I just looked up the statutes for my state, and it simply says "vehicle" and not "motor vehicle," so it's quite possible to be charged with a DUI on a bicycle, I guess. But I think most cops will likely charge for PUI instead.

Does your state define bicycle as a vehicle? I think most do, but there are exceptions.
Old 11-05-19, 08:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've got this set up,

but getting it off with an allen key and then opening the beer while riding would take a really big unobstructed riding area, at a minimum.

Old 11-06-19, 05:43 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I don't really need a bottle opener, since I always have lots of things with me that I can use to open a bottle - a swiss knife, a multi tool, a mini pump, a lighter etc; and even if I wouldn't have any of these things, I could always use the pedals on my bike. The skill to open a bottle with any hard-edged object comes in handy often
Old 11-06-19, 12:57 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
You mean like this?

Old 11-06-19, 01:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Those dopes... most of the bottles were twist-offs anyway!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-06-19, 01:54 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Those dopes... most of the bottles were twist-offs anyway!
No way !
Old 11-07-19, 05:09 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
You mean like this?
Yes, done most of those or equivalents (wide array of tools and cutlery ). I haven't used a coin or a bill, although I have used a folded sheet of paper which in principle works the same as a bill. Some objects I've used that weren't featured in that video - a lighter (very often), a comb, a mobile phone, and a brim of a cap.
Old 11-07-19, 11:33 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Yes, done most of those or equivalents (wide array of tools and cutlery ). I haven't used a coin or a bill, although I have used a folded sheet of paper which in principle works the same as a bill. Some objects I've used that weren't featured in that video - a lighter (very often), a comb, a mobile phone, and a brim of a cap.
The classic oval Bic lighter is the best. Beer drinking age used to be really low here so knowing how to open a bottle with an opener had much more importance than just practicality. With a Bic you can make a dent in the ceiling and add to the atmosphere with a loud popping sound, especially because youngsters didn't know how to organize properly cooled beer.

Anyway, you can safely saber a bottle of champaign while riding, just don't interfere with the moving parts. Something very basic went wrong in this video.
Old 11-07-19, 12:05 PM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Why not just wait until you get home to have a beer? Are you in such a need of a beer that you can't wait that long? If so, I'd
recommend a meeting at the nearest AA clinic. Also, it IS illegal to drink and bike outside as he was doing; it's called PUBLIC INTOXICATION.

Anyhow, I believe a true lover of biking enjoys biking for biking itself.
Old 11-07-19, 01:04 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
Why not just wait until you get home to have a beer? Are you in such a need of a beer that you can't wait that long? If so, I'd
recommend a meeting at the nearest AA clinic. Also, it IS illegal to drink and bike outside as he was doing; it's called PUBLIC INTOXICATION.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-07-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 01:20 PM
Stadjer

Why not just wait until you get home to have a beer? Are you in such a need of a beer that you can't wait that long?
Sometimes people just don't feel like going home yet.
If so, I'd recommend a meeting at the nearest AA clinic. Also, it IS illegal to drink and bike outside as he was doing; it's called PUBLIC INTOXICATION.
I'm pretty sure they speak Polish in Poland and call it something different, it might even not be illegal.

And a true beer lover might use a bike for transportation to the next party.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 11-07-19, 02:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

What a wet blanket. Aren't you the guy who's into doing tricks while riding bikes?
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-19, 02:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I suppose next you'll be telling me not to do lines off of the handlebars.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-19, 03:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I suppose next you'll be telling me not to do lines off of the handlebars.
While we're discussing vices on bikes:

RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-19, 05:45 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
How dare he not go head first over the bars!
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-08-19, 02:41 AM
Stadjer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-_Qdh8fOw
Easy, I've done that many times. The trick is to hold the pouch and the paper and tobacco in one hand at any stage of production, so you only need the second hand for the rolling itself and you can always interrupt it to grab the handlebars or brakes. I've even rolled joints while cycling, allthough with those hard hashish that need to be softenend first with a lighter it's nice to have another rider's assistence.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 11-10-19, 10:18 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Opening a glass beer bottle while cycling. What can go wrong?
Nothing. I've done it hundreds of times. Admittedly I use my teeth, so it's no different than biting a chocolate bar.