Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Doing a dumb experiment...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Doing a dumb experiment...

Old 11-04-19, 02:32 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
This thread has really cracked me up. Firstly, I've never though of installing a tire inside out. Hats off to the OP. Fun stuff. I think the responses warning of impending doom are the best part. But we also had the reference to backwards underwear. That's funny, I don't care who you are.

To the posters asking why, I answer why not? Seems like this belongs in the same category as wheelies or riding no-hands. Or riding the bicycle backwards. IS FOR FUN!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-04-19, 02:33 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I have found that when you turn your underwear inside out you can wear them a few days longer.
If you wear them as outerwear instead of underwear, you can get a few more days yet!
Old 11-04-19, 02:35 PM
MattTheHat 

The only thing that would have made this thread better would have been if it had been posted in Advocacy and Safety! Can you imagine?
Old 11-04-19, 03:51 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
At least you admit that it's dumb, because it is.

It's one thing to think of new ways to do something, but it's just stupid to use a product in the complete opposite manner for which it was designed, all the while knowing that what you're attempting is inherently unsafe.

Ever read a ridiculous warning label on a product and think, who in the hell would do that?? Well, now we know.
Well, I also don't think everyone heeds warnings. You know the saying: "rules are meant to be broken." Look at all of the people riding their bikes without helmets, DESPITE the manual and various warnings telling them that they have to wear their helmet. Look at all of the people that smoke cigarettes DESPITE all of the warnings that say that it will cause cancer. I could go on for days.

I'm usually one to follow all warnings I see. I'm the type of person who reads instructions and tries my hardest to follow them to a tee. But there are also times where I'm cautiously curious - this is one of those times. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as you take safety into consideration and try to minimize the harm.

I think too many people here are reading too far into it. I even said it was a dumb idea. I admitted it was a dumb idea. I don't need people reiterating what I already know, and I definitely don't need people attacking me personally because of one bad/dumb idea. Because I think we all have those ideas from time to time. With that said, I did expect criticism when posting this - just didn't know it'd go this far.

Will also note these again:
  1. There is no "why" to this experiment. I saw a YouTube video of someone who did something similar and it interested me. I wasn't anticipating on finding some magical cure for tears in tires, or anything else.
  2. Safety is my top priority. I mentioned that it would be done in a fairly controlled environment, so if anything did go wrong it wouldn't result in any major injury - at worst just a couple scrapes and maybe a bruise or two.
  3. Anyone else who attempts this should do the same - take safety (both yours and others) into consideration. I wouldn't do this on a street, on a trail 50 miles from the nearest trailhead, or on a road bike going 30 mph. Then you'd be asking for serious injury, if not worse.

Last edited by fullergarrett; 11-04-19 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For fullergarrett:
Old 11-04-19, 04:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I wouldn't expect the comments to be very different at the first person to ride a bicycle with no hands or the people who invented the workable parachute.

Inventors fail 99% of the time.

However, what I find interesting is that amongst all those who criticize and mock, there is one person missing who normally does nothing but criticize and mock.

Just goes to show you, when you research to find out one thing, you discover sonething else completely unrelated.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-04-19, 07:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm surprised the bead would stay put on an inside out mounted tire.
Old 11-04-19, 07:56 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Let’s all try this with our cars next, bet that will go well. One of the primary laws of humanity is: you can’t fix stupid.
Tim
Old 11-04-19, 08:38 PM
Alex Atkinson
mechanic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Won't say that's the idea I'd like to try, but I'm quite interested in the result.
Old 11-04-19, 09:24 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I'm surprised the bead would stay put on an inside out mounted tire.
Do hookless rims also surprise you?
Old 11-05-19, 05:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wouldn't expect the comments to be very different at the first person to ride a bicycle with no hands or the people who invented the workable parachute.

Inventors fail 99% of the time.

However, what I find interesting is that amongst all those who criticize and mock, there is one person missing who normally does nothing but criticize and mock.

Just goes to show you, when you research to find out one thing, you discover sonething else completely unrelated.

I agree that criticizing this is beside the point, but since the op agrees that this is frivolous, I don't think there's anything wrong with treating it as a joke.

I have it on good authority that this only works if you wear your shoes on the wrong foot, btw.
Old 11-05-19, 07:59 AM
Milton Keynes

Just thought I'd post the theme song for this thread:

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-05-19, 09:42 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
great song!
Old 11-05-19, 11:38 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Well, someone had to try this. Thanks for posting, fg. Fun thread.
Old 11-05-19, 01:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
With the idea that a tire with a cut on the outside, when turned inside might get you back from a ride? It's an interesting idea to test. Just don't take any turns please!

We already know that the inside rubber won't last very long (much thinner & no reason to use more durable materials). Doubtful that the bead will hold up as well. So I think at best we're looking at a temporary emergency fix.
Nobody ever heard of a dollar bill or a sticker patch? They work. Used one this weekend (sticker patch).

I accept fully that this is borne out of too much time on one's hands, so cannot really give it any crap.

I just say, you should do some kind of bogus test like a roll down a hill to see if the rollout of the inverted tire was better or worse...............like GCN does science.

Also, perhaps, do a test where you fill the tube with helium.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-05-19, 01:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Do hookless rims also surprise you?
When they jump out from behind the sofa? Yes.
Old 11-05-19, 02:43 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Nobody ever heard of a dollar bill or a sticker patch? They work. Used one this weekend (sticker patch).

I accept fully that this is borne out of too much time on one's hands, so cannot really give it any crap.

I just say, you should do some kind of bogus test like a roll down a hill to see if the rollout of the inverted tire was better or worse...............like GCN does science.

Also, perhaps, do a test where you fill the tube with helium.
Helium costs too much for me to waste it. I've always wanted to fill a tube with helium (outside of a tire) just to see what happens. My hypothesis is nothing.

On a practical note, I am going to do an experiment testing different patches - both official patches (unfortunately I'm not sure where to buy a proper kit - the Walmart stopped carrying them and we don't have a bike shop) and jury-rigged household items and old tubes. And for those concerned about that experiment, don't worry: the bike won't likely be leaving anytime soon as its winter an its actually better to walk to my classes instead of take the bike.

As for the test, I've decided to call it off. Mostly because I really don't want to ruin a perfectly good tire. I may resume the experiment when that tire gets worn down and needs replacing.

As for the hole, tire boots an dollar bills are only meant as a temporary patch. While people have got many, many miles out of them - I decided that I may as well replace the tire. The replacement tire is due here today.

FWIW, I have hookless 27" rims on my 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle road bike. Unless you inflate the tires to over ~80 PSI, you're good. One time I inflated the tire to 90 PSI (the recommended PSI on the tire sidewall) and didn't make it far before the dreaded BANG! There was a kid down the hill from me who probably needed new pants after that. Thankfully I wasn't too far from home. I found that 70-75 PSI is the sweet spot, though I've managed to carefully get to 80 PSI on the rear tire.
Old 11-05-19, 02:46 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
As there are reversible garments, one could imagine reversible tires. Different treads, colors, etc.
Old 11-05-19, 02:51 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
As there are reversible garments, one could imagine reversible tires. Different treads, colors, etc.

Wonder how the developers of that tire would've been received on the BikeForums...

Old 11-05-19, 02:54 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by fullergarrett
https://youtu.be/5Zde8AWWKeI

Wonder how the developers of that tire would've been received on the BikeForums...
"Yo dawg..."
Old 11-05-19, 03:19 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

I'll bet you can do that with a slick inside a 29er. I also know why we don't do it.

(It's because it's heavy and makes handling sluggish).
Old 11-05-19, 04:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Helium costs too much for me to waste it. I've always wanted to fill a tube with helium (outside of a tire) just to see what happens. My hypothesis is nothing.
Your hypothesis is likely correct. Maybe a little different handling characteristics, but that's probably it. Mythbusters did a segment on helium-filled footballs to see if they'd fly farther than regular air-filled ones. They found out that they flew less far due to the lesser density of the helium compared to regular air.
Old 11-05-19, 04:04 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Your hypothesis is likely correct. Maybe a little different handling characteristics, but that's probably it. Mythbusters did a segment on helium-filled footballs to see if they'd fly farther than regular air-filled ones. They found out that they flew less far due to the lesser density of the helium compared to regular air.
IIRC, there was someone on YouTube who tried helium in their BMX tires. Didn't really do much.

Here's one video. Although there are others on YouTube. See, I'm not the only one willing to do dumb experiments.

Old 11-05-19, 04:17 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

Here's one opinion, overlooking the cost of the tires and skins.

The zipper system looks like trouble. I can't put a load on a clothing or bag zipper without it going off track. I can imagine if tire pressure lowers how much strain is put on those zippers. Plus, those zippers are subject to getting mud and debris in the zipper teeth. Which would likely make zipping the outer skin onto the inner tire problematic. Unless, you brush the zipper clean before each skin installation.

I'd like to see a long term test of that tire system.
Old 11-05-19, 06:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

That's a completely different system that running a tire inside out is. No comparison at all to what you plan on doing.

Cheers
Old 11-05-19, 06:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Thanks for doing this experiment so I don't have to!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.