Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Crisis Here: The Warranty on my Car has Expired!!!

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Crisis Here: The Warranty on my Car has Expired!!!

Old 11-05-19, 08:58 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
It seems people have wised up to the Nigerian Prince scam:

Lost in Space.
But apparently not everybody is wise to the Automobile Warranty Scam.
Old 11-05-19, 10:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
My friend mostly a smart guy but will do stupid things. In one day he got the Acme or whatever extended warranty thinking they would rebuild his 1997 Ford F-150 later that day he bought a time share! I believe alcohol was involved and his wife was extremely angry. I don’t blame her for getting that divorce lawyer
And the third thing was the most expensive
Old 11-05-19, 11:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
In my younger years, I worked graveyard shift. I had no set sleep schedule, and wanted my friends to be able to call whenever they wanted. Inevitably if they tried to guess when I'd be asleep, they'd be wrong.

But, I made a personal rule to never buy anything from an unsolicited telemarketer call. There is nothing more frustrating than to get woken up for a sales call.

So, answer the phone or not, they're not getting my credit card info.

That has also carried over to E-Mail SPAM, although I do make an exception for businesses that I have previously purchased from sending ads.
I don't ignore calls from unknown numbers because I think they'll trick me.
Old 11-06-19, 11:19 AM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
And the third thing was the most expensive
Yup, and I told him not to get me to testify in other words lie on your behalf because I will tell the truth. You are a D Head. She is very much better without him

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 11-06-19 at 11:20 AM. Reason: The doc adjusted my BP meds I’m adjusting
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-06-19, 11:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yup, and I told him not to get me to testify in other words lie on your behalf because I will tell the truth. You are a D Head. She is very much better without him
Only a true friend would be that honest
Old 11-06-19, 03:20 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Surly Disk Trucker, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
there is a sucker born every minute and one day that sucker will have a bank account :-)
Old 11-07-19, 01:03 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not that hard. If they're legitimate, they leave a message.
I couldn't even begin to tell you how to get to my voice mail. I've never had it. It comes from years of needing to pay for the call to the voice mail servers to get the voice mail and I've never set it up.

I'm still on prepaid service, it's now a full featured plan. Up until 2 years ago, I was text only, no data, and $0.10/minute calling. It cost me money to call my voice mail so I didn't set it up and don't have a clue how to anyways.

If I was expecting a call from the mechanic or from the doctor, I would answer a non-contact number. If I don't have a car in the shop or I'm not dying so I haven't been to the doctor, I don't answer non-contact calls.
Old 11-07-19, 01:18 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
What I find most interesting with scam stuff is how obvious it should be to the victim. For some reason paying the IRS with $$$ of gift cards does not seem strange to them.
Old 11-07-19, 01:20 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 167 Posts
I once read that the scams are intentionally obvious because they want to catch the dumbest people. I guess they must cause the least trouble, or something.
Old 11-07-19, 01:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

We have a landline cordless answerphone system, that's how we get messages.

On my burner flip phone, I was surprised to learn that speed-dial #1 is hardcoded to voicemail, so I do know how to get into it. But I recorded my outgoing message to be like "Hi this is RubeRad, you have NOT reached me. I hardly ever use this phone, I will never hear your message, so if you have something important to say, send me an email"

(Implied is, if you are trying to reach me by cell phone but you're knot a friend that has my email address, you are a cold-caller, so tough luck)
Old 11-07-19, 01:23 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 167 Posts
There's an oldie but goodie about the old man who asked his wife of many years what she wanted for their anniversary and she said "I want a divorce." He thought about it for a while and said "Gee, I wasn't planning on spending that much!"

I think about that a lot now that I'm married...
Old 11-07-19, 02:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 9713 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
"Gee, I wasn't planning on spending that much!"
Oh, man, my brother just went through the big-D.

I haven't seen how much they spent, but I'm pretty sure the lawyers got a huge chunk of change. Money that they both could have used.
Old 11-07-19, 02:38 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
What I find most interesting with scam stuff is how obvious it should be to the victim. For some reason paying the IRS with $$$ of gift cards does not seem strange to them.
Some of it is, some of it one has to wonder about. For example collecting personal info for identity theft.

As I mentioned, I didn't get too far with the warranty call. But, would they have collected a bunch of personal identifying info. Credit card, birthday, SS#, etc?

What about calls claiming to be verifying fraud, but requiring personal information to interact with them?
Old 11-08-19, 03:40 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 169 Posts
Some of it is, some of it one has to wonder about. For example collecting personal info for identity theft.

As I mentioned, I didn't get too far with the warranty call. But, would they have collected a bunch of personal identifying info. Credit card, birthday, SS#, etc?

What about calls claiming to be verifying fraud, but requiring personal information to interact with them?
The only calls I have ever had about verifing fraud "gave" me information rather then sought it. They know who I am, and told me my card was suspended due to suspect use, and a new card was on the way. And confirming information came in the mail.

Or it was a case of my CC not working, and I call them, and I have to go through all this authentication stuff.

All communication with IRS, SS is by mail, unless I initiate the call.

Any calls from MS tech support to you, are BS.

Any call regarding fraud can be hung up on, and YOU can call the agency or company directly. Use the number you already have...not one given to you by a recent call.

If you don't make the the call, you don't give out info... it's that simple.

And the whole "send us gift cards for payment thing" really, com'on people. THINK
Old 11-08-19, 07:25 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 57 Posts
Several years ago my father, who we tried to teach about computer best practices, was on his computer surfing the Net and he got a pop-up saying something was wrong with his computer and gave a number to call. He called the number but he did not get through to anyone.

He was in his 80's. He never really understood anything about this new technology and just figured that if something was on your computer it had to be true. I tried countless times to teach him and get him to understand even the basics but it was all in vain. It was one of the most difficult things I ever tried to do. He was a smart guy except when I would start to talk about computers even in the simplest of terms he blanked out. You leave someone with instructions about never trusting calls like the ones mentioned above, you tell them to ignore pop-ups, but people still panic and do the wrong thing.
Old 11-08-19, 09:25 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Several years ago my father, who we tried to teach about computer best practices, was on his computer surfing the Net and he got a pop-up saying something was wrong with his computer and gave a number to call. He called the number but he did not get through to anyone.

He was in his 80's. He never really understood anything about this new technology and just figured that if something was on your computer it had to be true. I tried countless times to teach him and get him to understand even the basics but it was all in vain. It was one of the most difficult things I ever tried to do. He was a smart guy except when I would start to talk about computers even in the simplest of terms he blanked out. You leave someone with instructions about never trusting calls like the ones mentioned above, you tell them to ignore pop-ups, but people still panic and do the wrong thing.
And, at least a major way for computer viruses to spread. Or, I think they had a name for it of anti-spyware that would pop up, perhaps from browsing a website saying your computer was infected. So people would click on it, and then get an annoying message that one had to pay a subscription to get rid of the spyware (that they had just installed).
Old 11-08-19, 09:30 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Any call regarding fraud can be hung up on, and YOU can call the agency or company directly. Use the number you already have...not one given to you by a recent call.
One has to evaluate each call. So, if one is called that the electric bill is late, and one knows that he electric bill is probably late, then one can deal with it.

I did get an odd call a while ago. Called back a couple of times. Wanted to verify who I was before disclosing who was calling or what the call was about.

All they wanted was the last 4 digits...

But, the only choice was to hang up when they refused to identify themselves or the purpose of the call.

Who knows, perhaps they thought it was personal information that needed to be restricted, but the whole thing was just odd.
Old 11-08-19, 03:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 564 Posts
We have a landline cordless answerphone system, that's how we get messages.

On my burner flip phone, I was surprised to learn that speed-dial #1 is hardcoded to voicemail, so I do know how to get into it. But I recorded my outgoing message to be like "Hi this is RubeRad, you have NOT reached me. I hardly ever use this phone, I will never hear your message, so if you have something important to say, send me an email"

(Implied is, if you are trying to reach me by cell phone but you're knot a friend that has my email address, you are a cold-caller, so tough luck)
I have a good friend whose outgoing VM message is "hello? hello? I can't hear you..."
Old 11-09-19, 05:19 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 169 Posts
One has to evaluate each call. So, if one is called that the electric bill is late, and one knows that he electric bill is probably late, then one can deal with it.

I did get an odd call a while ago. Called back a couple of times. Wanted to verify who I was before disclosing who was calling or what the call was about.

All they wanted was the last 4 digits...

But, the only choice was to hang up when they refused to identify themselves or the purpose of the call.

Who knows, perhaps they thought it was personal information that needed to be restricted, but the whole thing was just odd.
Even in your electric bill example, you are probably better off hanging up, and contacting them, than dealing with an unconfirmed call.
Old 11-09-19, 09:12 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Up until we got rid of our land line I was probably getting 3 calls a week from "Windows" service center. Those calls from the "IRS" are so fake that I'm surprised people take them seriously.
I used to have fun with the Windows service calls. I would ask “Sure, I have Pella’s and Anderson’s, plus some cheap vinyl things in the basement”. That would always throw them but eventually they learned this trick.
Old 11-09-19, 12:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 160 Posts
Ok, so I've only been partly car-free. And, now back to car-light, and driving maybe 50% of the time. But, never without cars, just not always driving them.

I just got a call today saying that records indicate the the warranty on my vehicle has expired.

Time for a full blown crisis?

Ok, so I hung up on the caller. Perhaps I should try to have a little fun next time.

Which car do they really want to offer a warranty on?

My "NEW" car is a 1999 Ford F150 with 200K miles. It is the era of vehicle that has the blowing Spark Plug issue. It has already blown the #3 (repaired). But Ford won't even warranty the vehicle. What do these clowns expect?

Then there is the 1965 Fiat 500.

Perhaps the 1939 Ford Pickup that was damaged in a flood in 1964, then left out in a field for decades?

Man, I'm really bummed that the warranty has apparently expired on at least one of my vehicles (the caller didn't say which one).
Did you tell them that the car has lived years longer than your mechanic gave it?

It's a Car Talk Miracle!
Old 11-09-19, 01:12 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Did you tell them that the car has lived years longer than your mechanic gave it?

It's a Car Talk Miracle!
My "Mechanic"?

You mean the one under that shade tree over yonder?

He doesn't believe in a fixed lifespan for vehicles. Nor does he believe in vehicle warranties.

Nor bicycle warranties.

Of course, that does bring into issue parts that were designed as "lifetime", for example no real recommendations in changing transmission oils, seals, etc.
Old 11-10-19, 12:15 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 160 Posts
I can imagine that for a 1969 Dodge Dart but not a RAM truck.