Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kickr v. Kickr Snap

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kickr v. Kickr Snap

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 05:09 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kickr v. Kickr Snap

I would like to purchase a trainer for winter training and am focusing on the Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Snap. The Kickr is about $1200 and the Snap about $600. I don't want to spend more than I need to but I hate trying to save a bit and being sorry later. Does anyone have any experience with the trainers and have opinions on them?
Old 10-30-17, 12:09 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I just bought a KICKR a couple weeks ago. First I will say you can get it from Excel and save 15% (this is what I did) plus get free shipping...you could also get the Snap there as well. I went KICKR because I didn't want a wheel on trainer anymore. I was thinking about the Direto but most places didn't have stock (like everywhere I looked)...so when I saw the deal on the KICKR I went for it. Direct drive trainer means more accurate power measurements, no dealing with tire pressures or roller tension and it means no tire wear (or a trainer tire). Theoretically the difference in cost will someday be made up in the fact that you don't have to replace tires alone (but that's quite a few tires I do admit). The KICKR 17 (make sure you get a 17) is great in that it comes with a cassette (no other direct drive trainer does that I know of) as well as all of the adapters for thru axle bikes (many other companies want you to spend $30-$60 on extra kits there) a cassette spacer if you're going to run less than 11 speed and a Wahoo cadence sensor.

You will get this with either trainer but I'd add that Wahoo support seems to be great as well. I had a few questions (not issues) so I called up support and they were able to answer them quickly.

If you have anything specific you'd like to know just ask and I'd be happy to help.
Old 10-30-17, 12:29 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The Direto is going to have trouble ever being in stock this winter, but they're shipping at a good clip. Order and it'll probably be to you in a week or two; it's just not being produced in line with demand. Are you in a huge rush? I'd rather have the Direto than the Snap, if I could afford it. Even if it meant waiting a couple of weeks.
Old 10-30-17, 12:32 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I have had wheel on trainers and I will say that the ability to just set the wheel to the side and drop onto the Kickr w/ it's own cassette and skewer ready to go (and not have worry about / deal with trainer tires, trainer wheels, tire wear, wheel tension, tire slip on heavy intervals, and the skewer getting beat to hell by the clamps)... I love my Kickr and won't ever go back to a wheel on trainer ever again.
Old 10-30-17, 12:51 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm cheap and did a ton of research. If you purchase directly from Wahoo Fitness they have refurbished units (when available) at discounted pricing. I finally bought the Kickr17 as it's expendable.

Not being a big trainer fan, my worry was which was going to be harder on the bike. A wheel on trainer flexes and twists quite a bit. No wheel? I don't know. Hope it's not going to stress my frame. I worry too much. Pro's use them, but their bikes are given to them.

The Kickr is super easy to set up, you'll need an Ant+ stick, an extension cord, and you're ready to go. I quick spin-down to calibrate and you're up and running. On and off the trainer is as easy as swapping a wheel and very stable to ride. Zwift makes riding indoors surprising like riding outside with friends. Someone is always there to push you.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-30-17, 01:10 PM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had planned to pick up the Snap over the Winter. But I just found a 2014 Kickr on CL for $700, going to try to get him down to $600. Are there any major design changes from to 2014 to 2017 that would keep me from buying the 14?
Old 10-30-17, 01:17 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by Dreaded1
I had planned to pick up the Snap over the Winter. But I just found a 2014 Kickr on CL for $700, going to try to get him down to $600. Are there any major design changes from to 2014 to 2017 that would keep me from buying the 14?
Well...yes. Maybe not keep you from buying at that price but the design has changed a good bit.

Here's Shane Miller's unboxing of the 16 version so he will discuss changes from the original KICKR 1 to the updated version for 2016.

And then the 2017 has a few more options...Shane talks about it here:

Old 10-30-17, 01:54 PM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.
Old 10-30-17, 03:57 PM
Athens80

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
@Dreaded1 - if your trainer bike does not have disc brakes or thru axles, I'd go for the original KICKR, pre-owned but in good condition, at a $500 savings over the current model. The newer KICKR sounds a little better, the handle is better when you need to move it, and the LED indicators are better. And the newest model will work with the KICKR CLIMB Indoor Grade Simulator. The basic KICKR functionality, along with build quality and compatibility, is the same.
Old 10-30-17, 06:45 PM
Dreaded1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
@Dreaded1 - if your trainer bike does not have disc brakes or thru axles, I'd go for the original KICKR, pre-owned but in good condition, at a $500 savings over the current model. The newer KICKR sounds a little better, the handle is better when you need to move it, and the LED indicators are better. And the newest model will work with the KICKR CLIMB Indoor Grade Simulator. The basic KICKR functionality, along with build quality and compatibility, is the same.
The bike I use on the trainer does not have disc so I will be set there, that one also has a 10 speed cassette which is on the used Kickr. He just got back to me and is only willing to drop to $675, so I will go with that.
Old 10-31-17, 04:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I have had wheel on trainers and I will say that the ability to just set the wheel to the side and drop onto the Kickr w/ it's own cassette and skewer ready to go (and not have worry about / deal with trainer tires, trainer wheels, tire wear, wheel tension, tire slip on heavy intervals, and the skewer getting beat to hell by the clamps)... I love my Kickr and won't ever go back to a wheel on trainer ever again.
Couple questions.. the cassette it comes with says 11-speed out of the box, correct? What is the gearing on this default cassette and does anyone find that you need to use a different length chain to accommodate from whatever is on your wheels?

Also, anyone run Campy 11-speed with a Kickr without issue? Can a Campy cassette be put on the Kickr?
Old 10-31-17, 07:39 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by Dreaded1
The bike I use on the trainer does not have disc so I will be set there, that one also has a 10 speed cassette which is on the used Kickr. He just got back to me and is only willing to drop to $675, so I will go with that.
It's a good price assuming good condition. Remember to make sure that the firmware is updated...you should be able to bring that unit up to the current one in terms of functionality that way.

Also check out Shane Miller's video on KICKR maintenance. Probably not a bad idea to run through it on this unit before you ride it. Also a potential bargaining point can be made from the video. Check the belt for wear...if it's time for a new belt maybe pointing that out can save you a few more bucks.

You'd think I get a kickback somehow from Shane but I don't. He just makes great videos and has tons of content on Zwift and smart trainers.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Couple questions.. the cassette it comes with says 11-speed out of the box, correct? What is the gearing on this default cassette and does anyone find that you need to use a different length chain to accommodate from whatever is on your wheels?

Also, anyone run Campy 11-speed with a Kickr without issue? Can a Campy cassette be put on the Kickr?
You'd need a Campy free hub and interestingly an OLDER KICKR. The KICKR17 says NOTHING about Campy compatibility in any of the literature and the part (see below) is specifically stated to be for the KICKR 14 and 16.

Here's the one for the 14 and 16 versions: https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...-power-trainer
Old 10-31-17, 08:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Grasschopper

You'd need a Campy free hub and interestingly an OLDER KICKR. The KICKR17 says NOTHING about Campy compatibility in any of the literature and the part (see below) is specifically stated to be for the KICKR 14 and 16.

Here's the one for the 14 and 16 versions: https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...-power-trainer
Yeah I saw that for the 2016. However noticed that Excel Sports product page does say there's an option to switchover to a Campy freehub. Not sure if this is just an oversight or whether perhaps the 2016 piece also works with the 2017 model and wahoo just hasn't updated their webpage?
Old 10-31-17, 08:18 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Yeah I saw that for the 2016. However noticed that Excel Sports product page does say there's an option to switchover to a Campy freehub. Not sure if this is just an oversight or whether perhaps the 2016 piece also works with the 2017 model and wahoo just hasn't updated their webpage?
11-speed cassettes are cross-compatible across all three manufacturers. So you can use your campy bike on whatever 11-speed cassette it ships with.
Old 10-31-17, 08:31 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

So the 2 main changes for the 17 (thru axles and the KICKR Climb) both could impact the free hub design. I would contact Wahoo customer service before ordering.

Back to Dreded1 Here's a great (albeit long) video on the differences between the KICKR14 and the KICKR16/17 in terms of power measurement. And then DCRainmaker's unboxing video which does a great job of covering the differences.

Old 10-31-17, 09:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by ksryder
11-speed cassettes are cross-compatible across all three manufacturers. So you can use your campy bike on whatever 11-speed cassette it ships with.
If this is true then my question still remains as to what cassette gearing does the kickr come with? I don't want to have to swap chains each time to ensure correct length. Campy chains work well enough with a 11s Shimano cassette?
Old 10-31-17, 09:07 AM
Dreaded1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I hadn't planned on getting the Climb anyway. I am just replacing a mag trainer that is at least 15 years old.
Old 10-31-17, 09:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
If this is true then my question still remains as to what cassette gearing does the kickr come with? I don't want to have to swap chains each time to ensure correct length. Campy chains work well enough with a 11s Shimano cassette?
No idea but Wahoo support is extremely responsive (I have a Bolt and a bunch of their sensors).

FWIW I have a campy bike with an 11-speed Shimano cassette and SRAM chain. (Or maybe KMC, I can't remember now. I go through a lot of chains.)
Old 10-31-17, 09:21 AM
Dreaded1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend just picked up the "17 Kickr, it came with the 11 speed cassette.

Last edited by Dreaded1; 10-31-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 09:47 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

It comes with an 11-25 cassette that I believe is a SRAM cassette.
Old 10-31-17, 12:46 PM
D.zo

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak much for the snap but I have had the KICKR for about a year and a half and I love it. Bought it used for pretty cheap and have used it with both zwift and trainer road.

I like not having to worry about tire pressure, tension, etc. My favorite part about the thing is automatic resistance.

I use the powertap p1 pedals that track power during indoor workouts. Keeps it consistent with my outdoor work outs.
Old 10-31-17, 01:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by ksryder
No idea but Wahoo support is extremely responsive (I have a Bolt and a bunch of their sensors).

FWIW I have a campy bike with an 11-speed Shimano cassette and SRAM chain. (Or maybe KMC, I can't remember now. I go through a lot of chains.)
Wahoo responded to the effect that the 11s cassette that ships with the kickr would work with 11s campy drivetrain. 10s is an issue they're working on.

However this is marginally helpful. I'm doubting that my chain sized for my bike's 12-29 cassette will work well on the stock 11-25. So I'd have to shop for a nearest neighbor sram cassette that would work with my chain, and just getting an extra campy 12-29 is currently out of the question I guess.
I may opt for the direto which does offer a hub adapter for campy.
Old 10-31-17, 02:31 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
If your bike is (currently set up) 12-29 then it absolutely will work with an 11-25 (spare wheel or kickr).
Old 10-31-17, 03:43 PM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'd like to get the Kikr but prefer to avoid mounting and unmounting my rear wheel everytime.
Would it be reasonable to use it on my hybrid bike (Sirius) that I haven't used much lately? Or should I stick to my road bike?
Old 10-31-17, 04:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by nycphotography
If your bike is (currently set up) 12-29 then it absolutely will work with an 11-25 (spare wheel or kickr).
Yeah? Ok, I imagined the chain would be too long, but I guess there aren't any potholes I have to worry about throwing the chain off..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.