Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TCR or Defy ??

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TCR or Defy ??

Old 10-30-17, 05:28 PM
jlmg

Bikes: Giant Contend AR1, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TCR or Defy ??

Hello all

Long lime lurker here. I won a Specialized Sirrus that I like and use once in a while. I would like to buy a real road bike to help me go back in shape. I feel the Sirrus is not the best for road and even worst for gravel....and I find my hands and wrists hurt a lot when I ride it.
I have been my research and I like Giant bikes. I narrowed it down to the TCR or the Defy.
I know the Defy should be more confortable, but is the TCR that uncorfortable?
When I ride, I do about 50 milles ...... I can't decide which of those two bikes to get
Any help....

Thanks

JM
Old 10-30-17, 06:06 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I've had both, I enjoyed the defy but love the tcr. that being said you really need to ride both and decide for yourself. it depends on your body and your comfort level and desire. I ride the same distances on both but really love the tcr. I am interested in the new carbon defy's but since my tcr is only 9 months old I'll just stick with it for now.
can't go wrong with either in my opinion.
good luck
rob
Old 10-30-17, 06:07 PM
Bsgs87

Bikes: Jamis Zenith Comp, 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2008 Limited Edition Torelli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either one would be a great bike. Depends on whether you want a race (TCR) or endurance (Defy) style bike. TCR will put you in an aero position, while the Defy has you in a more upright (endurance) position. I'm waiting on a 2018 Defy which I have test rode and really like. I do more endurance rides and ride for fitness and social activity. I'm not racing or even to concerned about my speed.
Old 10-30-17, 06:14 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Unless it is very smooth gravel you are riding neither will take a big enough tyre.
Old 10-30-17, 07:53 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
They are both comfortable. But they handle and fit differently. Most Giant dealers should have both in stock so you can ride side by side.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-30-17, 09:03 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbbean
They are both comfortable. But they handle and fit differently. Most Giant dealers should have both in stock so you can ride side by side.
Heck, for 50 miles, even a Propel is comfortable (though I do get tired of it and long for something comfier after about 60-70).
Old 10-30-17, 09:12 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts
Perhaps consider a TCX if you will be doing gravel...
Old 10-31-17, 07:17 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
TCR is one of the more comfortable bikes in the category, and despite being a bonafide race bike is considered a good all-arounder as a result. Pretty comfortable on it using it for metric centuries with lots of climbing too.

That's no knock on the Defy as i'm sure has its attributes, just dont go thinking TCR is out of the question on the subject of comfort. Its the kind of bike that fits like a glove and thus exudes confidence in and out of the saddle.

On my older rim brake TCR, i'm running 28c Schwalbe One folding clinchers on a 17c internal rim width measure 30c wide and ~ 27c high and i have plenty of clearance. I'd imagine the newer disc brake versions allow a decent sized tire. But if you are looking at realistically more air volume and more off road flexibility , look into the gravel bike offerings though expected a slightly heavier bike for those long outings.
Old 10-31-17, 09:31 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by kbarch
Heck, for 50 miles, even a Propel is comfortable (though I do get tired of it and long for something comfier after about 60-70).
"Even" a Propel? I love mine. Fits me like a glove and suits my purposes. Comfortable as my favorite shoes and jeans.

Old 10-31-17, 10:06 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Unless it is very smooth gravel you are riding neither will take a big enough tyre.
Yeah if gravel is in the mix and you're set on Giant you may want to look more at the Anyroad or the Revolt rather than a pure road bike. That said I have the Defy Advanced from 2012 and it's a great bike. I've ridden everything from group rides to centuries on it and never wished for more from the bike. If you're not ever going to race IMO you'd be really happy with the Defy.
Old 10-31-17, 10:15 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Yeah if gravel is in the mix and you're set on Giant you may want to look more at the Anyroad or the Revolt rather than a pure road bike. That said I have the Defy Advanced from 2012 and it's a great bike. I've ridden everything from group rides to centuries on it and never wished for more from the bike. If you're not ever going to race IMO you'd be really happy with the Defy.
This is true o both counts. While the Defy will handle occasional gravel, it's certainly no gravel bike. On yoru second note, I did race my Defy for 2 seasons, but it wasn't anywhere close to the racer than my Propel is or a TCR would be.

If you really want an all around bike, a CX bike with extra wheelsets will get you from road to mud, and only come up short in extreme applications (i.e. racing, boulder hopping, etc.).

Old 10-31-17, 11:10 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Perhaps consider a TCX if you will be doing gravel...
I wouldn't recommend the TCX unless it was for primarily gravel and unpaved trails. It's OK for road use, but as road bikes go, it's slow: low gearing and the wheels are YUGE.
Old 10-31-17, 12:31 PM
D.zo

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my propel... been on it for 80+ mile rides with no issues.

I agree with others tho. Try both and see which suits you better.
Old 10-31-17, 02:22 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
isn't the revolt just an older version of the defy? nope it's the contend?
Old 11-01-17, 10:45 AM
dgunay

Bikes: Giant

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmg
Hello all

Long lime lurker here. I won a Specialized Sirrus that I like and use once in a while. I would like to buy a real road bike to help me go back in shape. I feel the Sirrus is not the best for road and even worst for gravel....and I find my hands and wrists hurt a lot when I ride it.
I have been my research and I like Giant bikes. I narrowed it down to the TCR or the Defy.
I know the Defy should be more confortable, but is the TCR that uncorfortable?
When I ride, I do about 50 milles ...... I can't decide which of those two bikes to get
Any help....

Thanks

JM
What's your budget and weight?

For the gravel, go with the TCX, and get road wheel and tire set for the pavement. Best of both worlds. TCX SLR2 comes with 36/46, which is good for a beginner.

If you are looking to go back in shape, maybe you should start with Defy (or even aluminum Contend?). That doesn't mean TCR is not comfortable, but you may find upright riding position more comfortable and easier to get used to, if it is going to be your first road bike.

Last edited by dgunay; 11-01-17 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 12:41 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I occasionally ride my TCR on gravel, so it's not impossible.
I used to own an OCR, the precursor to the Defy, and it's pretty similar to the TCR in handling except for the longer head tube.
I also have a TCX, and while it does a good job as an all-round bike, I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about it. For one thing, the higher bottom bracket gives the bike a less stable feeling.
On the other hand, it's the only Giant I can put 35mm tires on.
If the decision is between the Defy and the TCR, the question is how flexible are you?
Can easily touch your toes: TCR.
Belly gets in the way: Defy.

Old 11-01-17, 07:57 PM
jlmg

Bikes: Giant Contend AR1, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks a lot everyone for the advice. Since I am @ 235lbs now, 6ft. I think the Defy would be the best bike for me.
Old 11-01-17, 10:55 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
I occasionally ride my TCR on gravel, so it's not impossible.
I used to own an OCR, the precursor to the Defy, and it's pretty similar to the TCR in handling except for the longer head tube.
I also have a TCX, and while it does a good job as an all-round bike, I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about it. For one thing, the higher bottom bracket gives the bike a less stable feeling.
On the other hand, it's the only Giant I can put 35mm tires on.
If the decision is between the Defy and the TCR, the question is how flexible are you?
Can easily touch your toes: TCR.
Belly gets in the way: Defy.

What has flexibility got to do with it?
I can have the same fit on a TCR as a Defy. The TCR just has an extra 20mm of spacers and a 10mm shorter stem.