Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Don't let newbies attach to dead threads

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 06-19-19, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts

BF doesn't let newbies post pic's and other certain other stuff, so why not prevent them from dredging up old threads?

Many of the newbies are just one-time posters that were using google or another search engine to look up something and found a comment they took exception to or thought they had a revelation to add.

Maybe something as simple as a message that says they are going to annoy Iride01 if they push the submit button again.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-19-19, 07:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Shirley, you jest. Are they supposed to start thread number 3,947 on the same subject or should we just answer the same thread and leave it at that?

Chances are it will just get merged into another thread.

They're newbies. You and I are oldbies.

Last edited by Rollfast; 06-19-19 at 07:39 PM.
Likes For Rollfast:
Old 06-20-19, 07:40 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Something that would help - restore the date started info to the thread listing, like we had before the 2018 software “upgrade”. This is pretty much standard on forum boards such as this. I know if I am searching and see really old threads I usually will not add a post.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 06-20-19, 03:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

@Rollfast -- Yes, to me starting a new thread on whatever their subject is preferable. The old conversation is just that many times, old and dated by new stuff. If the newbie is asking a question for a problem they are having, then quite often their problem is not quite the problem they posted on.

Why would it be merged into another thread? If that's true, why haven't they merged all the "which new bike should I get" threads?

@jimincalif -- That was my first and pretty much only annoyance with the new forum format when they introduced that. They said that they would put that feature back, but we are still waiting.
Old 06-21-19, 12:52 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
[MENTION=88857]

@jimincalif -- That was my first and pretty much only annoyance with the new forum format when they introduced that. They said that they would put that feature back, but we are still waiting.
I've mentioned it several times in this sub forum, I'm beginning to think they don't plan to do it.
Old 06-21-19, 01:04 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I don't know, ask your mother. I've got to pay the bills and make the world safe for Schwinns.
Old 06-21-19, 08:11 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I've mentioned it several times in this sub forum, I'm beginning to think they don't plan to do it.
We have things in the works for Bike Forums and rest assured, this is an issue we have brought up and are working with tech to see if we can get this done. Thank you for the patience!
Old 06-22-19, 12:07 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

If you weren't aware, you can close any thread you started. Until then I hope you simply notify the moderators and let them do their jobs. This subject is a zombie itself.
Old 06-22-19, 08:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
BF doesn't let newbies post pic's and other certain other stuff, so why not prevent them from dredging up old threads?

Many of the newbies are just one-time posters that were using google or another search engine to look up something and found a comment they took exception to or thought they had a revelation to add….
Originally Posted by Rollfast
If you weren't aware, you can close any thread you started. Until then I hope you simply notify the moderators and let them do their jobs. This subject is a zombie itself.
Apropos of this post by @Rollfast, there was this dust-up about deleting threads:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Machka
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it
. .
Originally Posted by Roody
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out. How dare you delete the thread without permission of those who contributed?

I think this is outrageous. You have no right! How were you able to even do that?
Originally Posted by winston63
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.
So if may pose this question, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads? I would assume that any useful information would be utilized soon after reading.

Early on after joining Bike Forums I copied and filed a few posts for their content and style, but not for years.
...you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost.

And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it.
Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses.

However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired….
Originally Posted by cooker
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread.

Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Whenold posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-22-19 at 08:39 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 06-22-19, 11:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Which subject? OP's closing their threads or newbies attaching to dead threads?
Old 06-22-19, 12:03 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Something that would help - restore the date started info to the thread listing, like we had before the 2018 software “upgrade”. This is pretty much standard on forum boards such as this. I know if I am searching and see really old threads I usually will not add a post.
@Rollfast -- Yes, to me starting a new thread on whatever their subject is preferable. The old conversation is just that many times, old and dated by new stuff. If the newbie is asking a question for a problem they are having, then quite often their problem is not quite the problem they posted on.

Why would it be merged into another thread? If that's true, why haven't they merged all the "which new bike should I get" threads?

I’m often surprised when anyone dredges up an old (zombie) thread.
Bicycle Rental Business”

Zombie thread from 2015. Even the OP hasn't been here since then.

How did a Newbie come upon this? Are you from the same area, but it was unclear from the OP where that was.
as @alan s nicely perceived
Originally Posted by alan s
You do realize that once this is out of the top 5 threads, no one will read it, and after it drops off the first page, it is ancient history. Good luck keeping it active and getting anything useful out of it.
Personally I usually don’t recognize a zombie from the thread until I encounter a long-ago disappeared subscriber.
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Crap. I fell for it and started reading the 10 year old essay. I wish zombie threads were easier to identify.
When I read the OP, I naturally thought it was legitimately contemporary since it referred to pcad and Dr. Pete in the seemingly long ago past. As I recall, at least pcad was active here when I joined in 2008, and for a few years afterwards.
Old 06-22-19, 12:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
I agree with @Rollfast. In theory a newbie may choose to add additional information about an existing thread. Let's keep some of the redundant info together.

And, one should point out that everyone on this board with 1000 posts made that first post sometime, or first 10 posts sometime.

Make it too hard for newbies to feel wanted and to participate, and one will not get any new members.

Ok, so maybe it is 10:1 on one-hit-wonders vs longtime users. But, knock out all the newbies, and one knocks out all the new users.
Old 06-23-19, 10:06 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Speaking of zombie threads, has anyone else noticed the new feature at the bottom of a lot of threads suggesting several "related" threads to click on?

Every one I click on is a zombie thread up to twenty or more years old. I think IB really wants to encourage threads constantly being recycled. I have no problem with that by the way.
Old 06-24-19, 01:22 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Which subject? OP's closing their threads or newbies attaching to dead threads?
If you are the OP you can find the close button at the bottom of the (last?) page. If you have other problems use the report icon and let a moderator know.

It's like all these people saying there is already a law on the books for that, and there was, from day one.
Old 06-24-19, 01:26 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Speaking of zombie threads, has anyone else noticed the new feature at the bottom of a lot of threads suggesting several "related" threads to click on?

Every one I click on is a zombie thread up to twenty or more years old. I think IB really wants to encourage threads constantly being recycled. I have no problem with that by the way.
That's something practically everybody does now.

The point is to help you find better answers to your own problem by analysis of other threads and recommendations.

It does work well.

So there is no need to pick nits, this is how we roll (fast).
Old 06-24-19, 10:21 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I will look into this. Rest assured, it is not IB trying to recycle threads, but rather assist the user in obtaining the best information relating to the searched topic that they can find, old or new.
Old 06-25-19, 02:48 PM
Jim from Boston

Every one I click on is a zombie thread up to twenty or more years old. I think
That's something practically everybody does now.

The point is to help you find better answers to your own problem by analysis of other threads and recommendations.

It does work well.

So there is no need to pick nits, this is how we roll (fast).
Thanks for that information, @FBOATSB. I had not noticed that feature. On one of my subscribed threads, admittedly a nebulous one, What makes you happy when commuting?,” some of the linked threads were:

What do you guy use to polish/shine cranks and rims?(2015)

Moderators - Emergency !! (2012)

Cannondale ST 500 Derailleur (2005)

In a somewhat similar vein, to expand on a topic, as one who quotes frequently, I have previously posted,
(from a now-closed thread)I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue

I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.
...I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.
...IB really wants to encourage threads constantly being recycled. I have no problem with that by the way.
Originally Posted by IBRyan
I will look into this. Rest assured, it is not IB trying to recycle threads, but rather assist the user in obtaining the best information relating to the searched topic that they can find, old or new.
Nontheless, even if no one uses my linked quotes for reference, I have also posted:
Besides my own enjoyment, Bike Forums may be the better for all those (nested) quotes.
Originally Posted by himespau
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people...

And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits.

More page views => more revenue...
In [a different] post I have quoted 12 other subscribers, and just this morning before 7:30 AM I had quoted 10 others on six different threads; ...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-25-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 05:46 PM
Jim from Boston

Just now I encountered a thread about dogs, on the Road Cycling Forum, from 2005,with a couple of new replies. I posted my consternation.
Old 06-26-19, 05:57 PM
CliffordK

Just now I encountered a thread about dogs, on the Road Cycling Forum, from 2005,with a couple of new replies. I posted my consternation.
Oh, that thread has gone to the dogs.

What difference does it really make? There was also a thread that popped up about drive-up windows. An issue that was around a decade ago, and still an issue today.

Although, in some places such as Portland, there has actually been some recognition of the issues and some progress over the last decade.

I'm just as happy to see a few comments in the old thread, and then let it sink down again for another decade as to see a bunch of redundant threads pop up.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-27-19, 09:41 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

One of my last two cats didn't show up for dinner last night. My birthday kinda sucked. I'm happy to answer the same thing again.
Old 06-29-19, 02:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, that thread has gone to the dogs.

What difference does it really make? There was also a thread that popped up about drive-up windows. An issue that was around a decade ago, and still an issue today...

I'm just as happy to see a few comments in the old thread, and then let it sink down again for another decade as to see a bunch of redundant threads pop up.
Thanks for your reply @CliffordK. Since I had been participating on this thread, I was at least amused to encounter that old thread on a recurrent topic resurrected after so many years. Shortly after my post, three consecutive subscribers commented similarly, e.g.
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
14 YO dog thread still not locked.
I guess my dismay about reading and uncovering a zombie thread is that I was fooled again.
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Crap. I fell for it and started reading the 10 year old essay. I wish zombie threads were easier to identify.
As posted earlier this thread,
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Something that would help - restore the date started info to the thread listing, like we had before the 2018 software “upgrade”…
Old 06-29-19, 09:14 AM
CliffordK

Thanks for your reply @CliffordK. Since I had been participating on this thread, I was at least amused to encounter that old thread on a recurrent topic resurrected after so many years.
I haven't been on the forum for a decade yet, but it is still interesting when I see a quote of something I wrote 5 years ago or so.

And, on occasion, users will dig up something very specific to what I've written in the past. For example a few weeks ago there was someone commenting about Tannus tires which I've used, and posted about a few years ago.

Resurrecting the dead thread is a method to get people who were interested in the topic earlier, back on line.

As far as recognizing zombie threads, it is easy enough. If a thread pops up that I don't remember with 5 pages of comments and a few users that I don't recognize, then I'll simply check the post dates, then jump to the end to check out the new content.

Thread start dates wouldn't hurt. Color code it if one wishes (green for < 1 year, red for > 1 year) although it may be more complex to determine active old threads vs inactive ones. "Are you Looking" or "Wacky" threads?
Old 06-29-19, 11:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Agree there should be some limits on bumping old threads where previous post is over a certain age, but defer to the admins.
Old 06-29-19, 11:52 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I say newbies (or anyone) reviving old threads is a non issue. Any attempted "fix" would cause more problems than it solves.

The best new feature that somewhat addresses this IMO (and this is what I do for a living) would be to put a kind of activity chart at the top of every thread that shows it's structure over time:

This chart (or histogram) shows the activity of a thread over time. The left side represents the beginning of bikeforums and the right side represents now. The above example shows a thread that had some activity a long time ago, and a little blip of recent activity on the right.

Once someone understands this, they can get the gist of the thread's activity.

This feature doesn't add any restrictions, just provides more info, and one of the things it indicates is if it's a recently revived "zombie thread" and people can ignore those if they want to.
Attached Images
File Type: png
bb-histo.png (334 Bytes, 582 views)
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-30-19, 06:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.