Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Suspension Fork for Specialized Helga/Fatboy SE

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 07-04-19, 03:32 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

So I've been messing with ways to make my bike slacker and a little less sketchy on downhill sections of trail. My previous setup for the bike was 29+ with a 3.0 Minion DHF/R II, however I tried a smaller 2.6 Rekon in the rear as well as a "mullet" 26x4.0 Minion FBR. The 29+/26 Fat felt the most confident on steep downhills, however the smaller rear wheel led to some pedal strikes, and the combination of the heavier rear wheel and the slacker seat-tube angle made climbing a little more troublesome. The 2.6 Rekon felt better in climbing and in BB clearance, and going downhill was "okay", thought I didn't spend as much time on it cause I was tired after running the 4.0 rear.

I started looking at possibly adding a suspension fork and wasn't sure what would end up working. most fatbike fork spec'd with clearance for a 29+ wheel are usually 510-530mm A-to-C. This is good for slackening my head tube and giving more pedal clearance, but it pushes the seat tube angle to around 70-71. I was considering the 80mm Bluto, but wasn't sure if it'd have enough clearance for my 3.0 Minion. Same thing with the Manitou Mastodon which is the for I'd really want because it's supposedly better than the Bluto, however the "standard" apparently can't fit a 29+, and the EXT will fit, however the shortest version is around 530mm A-to-C.

What I wanted to know is how much will this end up affecting the handling of the bike if I went the route of going to a suspension fork? My main priority is having a better feeling bike going downhill with minimal compromises in climbing performance.
Old 07-05-19, 10:14 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I haven't got an answer but am following along as I have a fatboy.

I know when I swapped out a suspension fork on my rigid mtb it messed the geometry a bit (more likely to lift the wheel going uphill) but really changed the downhill and singletrack capabilities. It's amazing what I can now bomb down.
Old 07-08-19, 08:58 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
The Mastadon seems to be getting most of the love lately for fatbikes. Many in my riding circle have swapped out Blutos for them. Going from rigid to squish will require playing with your tire pressures again. If you need clearance look at the inverted bridgeless Wren forks. I have one on my OnOne Fatty.
Old 07-25-19, 11:18 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Well I had my bike setup with a Mastodon 120mm fork and I went with the Standard model hoping it would be fine with the 29x3” tires and it pretty much clears it barely so that’s good. I should have my fatbike wheels converted to fit the Hope hub come winter time, however im interested in running 4.0 Minions since I also ended up raising my BB by a good 20+mm. So far tho it really feels nice and I feel like I’m in a better position vs. being too far forward on the bike
Old 07-26-19, 09:09 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
nice, how do you like the frame bag and pedals?
Can't recall the name now, but they have a huge footprint. Considering them as well, but they are pricey
Old 07-29-19, 08:01 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by qclabrat
nice, how do you like the frame bag and pedals?
Can't recall the name now, but they have a huge footprint. Considering them as well, but they are pricey
Frame bag does it's job so it's nice.

Pedals are the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst. They were the only pedal long enough to really support my size 14 1/2 feet, though the Crankbros Stamp 1 Large are a decent budget option for big feet albeit with less pins.
Likes For DarKris: