Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Familiar with Zunows?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 06:43 PM
B._W.

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I really lucked out and picked up an old Zunow Z1 at a garage sale for free. Spent around $150 (CAD) fixing it up and it rides really smooth.

Thing is, I did some research on Zunows, and it appears that there is not that much information on them except that it is an old Japanese racing bike. Any information about my Z1 (year, value, history etc…) would be greatly appreciated.

All of the images of Z1s that I saw had 2 seatstays that joined at the top tube. Mine join together right at the rear brake in a wishbone shape - What’s up with that?

The top tube is recessed on the top to hold the brake line - Is this normal?

Groupset is Shimano Exage Sport LX - anyone have any opinions on this?

How about Shimano Biopace elliptical chainrings?

Yeah, I know my brake hoods are dirty - I tried everything to clean them, and there is no way in hell I am spending $50 for new Exage hoods (cheapest I found).

The bike is super fun to ride and works perfectly. I would love to get some information and opinions about it.

Thanks,

B.W.

Likes For B._W.:
Old 10-22-19, 07:09 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Free? There will be some jealous souls here... Gorgeous bike!
Old 10-22-19, 07:26 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
A free zunow?!? Lucky.
Old 10-22-19, 07:31 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Hi: there is a fair bit of information out there if you search: your bike was made by Kageyama of Zunow in Kyoto, of custom Tange tubing designed and speced by Zunow and as far as I know, exclusive to them. The Z-1 was the top of the line.

this thread has some good info and your bike is probably of the same vintage:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...850-zunow.html

the top tube ditch (that is what they called it) is exclusive and pretty cool. kinda hard to clean but worth it. you also probably have pentagon chainstays which is exclusive. it was probably sold as a frameset, so all the components are just whatever the shop put on it to sell. it probably deserves something a little better! If nothing else put some modern dual pivot tektros on there and you will be able to go so much faster (because you can actually stop).

for what its worth? probably its worth most as just the framset with all the components stripped off and put on ebay- maybe $500? not sure. I paid 500 for mine and was pretty happy but yours is a bit later year and cleaner for sure... so you could be in the 700-800 range. just needs that one person who is looking for a zunow in that size...

You may want to consider selling it as it looks (by the seat post) to be much too small for you. too bad as they are super rare and I would say, in the top 3 of Japanese bikes to have (that are not complete boutique)

Last edited by jetboy; 10-22-19 at 07:49 PM.
Likes For jetboy:
Old 10-22-19, 07:38 PM
jetboy 

this is mine- i need to take better pics someday but it rides amazing. i need to get back to it. for my steel bikes it and the Look 753 are close contenders you can see mine does not have the wishbone and the fork crown is completly different - its probably several years older than yours. but like yours it came with middle of the road components so i went modern.

Last edited by jetboy; 10-22-19 at 07:46 PM.
Likes For jetboy:
Old 10-22-19, 07:51 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I've got an 1988 Centurion LeMans with the Exage groupset on it. The rear cog set was a 6 speed Shimano Uniglide type. I swapped out the 6 speed Uniglide freehub with a 7 speed Hyperglide freehub & now run a 7 speed HG cassette on it. I rebuilt the Exage hubs and its a very smooth riding bike. I've also got Biopace chainrings on an old Trek that I've put thousands of miles on. Must be pretty tough chainrings cause thay show very little wear.
Old 10-22-19, 08:14 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
A monostay Zunow. Wow. Nice find.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 10-22-19, 08:41 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by B._W.
I really lucked out and picked up an old Zunow Z1 at a garage sale for free.
Worst garage sale ever.

Free Zunow.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-22-19, 09:22 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Free, huh? You're being called "lucky" on the public forum, but other things privately.

The Bad News: Saddle height tells me it's way too small for you.
The Good News: You're gonna make a decent pile o' money if/when you decide to sell.

Excellent find, sir.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-22-19, 09:24 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Lucky you! As if you found a Grover Cleveland bill flying in the wind and snagged it.

Poke your keyboard and you'll discover more about Zunow. Also search Japan.

The build is fine as those parts are reliable though for such a premium frameset from Japan, naturally one expects high end components. Personally, I like how the spotlight is on this frame and not the parts. And that's exactly what I did with my Zunow built with flawless performing Suntour Edge 4050.

Have fun with your brilliant find. Don't even think of giving it up as you won't come across another for such crazy giveaway!
Old 10-23-19, 05:17 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Shimano Exage Sport LX would be circa 1988. It performed well ans was good value for it;s price range, which was typically $400-$500 bicycles. It's hard to imagine anybody putting this group on a Zunow. This might become a classic C&V bedtime story - The Zunow's New Components..
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-23-19, 06:49 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Shimano Exage Sport LX would be circa 1988. It performed well ans was good value for it;s price range, which was typically $400-$500 bicycles. It's hard to imagine anybody putting this group on a Zunow. This might become a classic C&V bedtime story - The Zunow's New Components..
Maybe that's the best group to throw on a Zunow when you plan on giving it away?
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-23-19, 07:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Nice score.
Old 10-23-19, 07:48 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by B._W.
I really lucked out and picked up an old Zunow Z1 at a garage sale for free. Spent around $150 (CAD) fixing it up and it rides really smooth.

Thing is, I did some research on Zunows, and it appears that there is not that much information on them except that it is an old Japanese racing bike. Any information about my Z1 (year, value, history etc…) would be greatly appreciated.

All of the images of Z1s that I saw had 2 seatstays that joined at the top tube. Mine join together right at the rear brake in a wishbone shape - What’s up with that?

The top tube is recessed on the top to hold the brake line - Is this normal?

Groupset is Shimano Exage Sport LX - anyone have any opinions on this?

How about Shimano Biopace elliptical chainrings?

Yeah, I know my brake hoods are dirty - I tried everything to clean them, and there is no way in hell I am spending $50 for new Exage hoods (cheapest I found).

The bike is super fun to ride and works perfectly. I would love to get some information and opinions about it.

Thanks,
A very nice find! I believe the monostay Z1s are the later models. The cable canal in the top tube is one of the specialities of Zunows "Pentaglia" tubeset (you may also find that the left side chainstay is pentagon-shaped).
Zunow didn't have a very wide range of models at a given time. The Z1 is as good as it gets for a lugged steel frame; mine rides decidedly "modern" in feel, both steering geometry as well as stiffness.
Old 10-23-19, 07:57 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
We really got to get a "Green with Envy" emoticon/smiley. Nice score, looks to be ins darned good condition too.

Oh yeah, welcome to the C&V Forum also. Great entry post, you have managed to get more attention, and envious thoughts than some long timers have gotten, in a real short time! Kudos sir.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-23-19, 08:35 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 522 Posts
I have a fairly early Zunow, #298 . Mine was a rust bucket and badly needed a repaint.

What serial number is yours?

There is a Zunow Show thread, when you have 10 posts, put some pictures and description in that thread.
Old 10-23-19, 01:19 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Zunow proprietary tubing made by Tange. Andrew M. of Yellow Jersey might be able to tell you more of your frame, approx year produced, etc.

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 10-23-19, 02:31 PM
B._W.

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, found it on somebody's lawn with a "Free" sign taped to it. Guy obviously didn't know what he had.
Likes For B._W.:
Old 10-23-19, 07:33 PM
jetboy 

I love it. this may get you into bikes and you will forever be lost. How I got in (other than just a casual rider) was a woman putting out her son's old university race bike in the trash when I just happened to be riding (on moto scooter) by. Turned out to be a ~1988 Look kg96 that she said her son had told her was "unifixable". I said.. you are for sure throwing this in the trash for pick up? she said yes. I said: can I have it? and ......

it was totally fixable.

similar to yours it was a bit too small for me but I rode it for years and sold it when I moved (countries), then when I had the means and one came up, i bought the exact same bike in my size. Rode it today.. and yesterday, and the day before that....

Last edited by jetboy; 10-23-19 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 07:37 PM
jetboy 

I recently took my Z-1 off the wall where it was hanging as I had fallen into a pattern of riding the Look. I have been riding it every day for a week now and its an amazing cycle: it just keeps giving no matter what - its stable when I need stability, nimble when I need it, quick as hell but not jarring on the rough stuff, flexes just enough to get a nice rhythm but never overflexes to cause problems (no touring of course!)

it may be the best frame one could have. Just throwing that out there. I have not met better.
Old 11-06-19, 09:43 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
In addition to the Pentagla chainstays and the Ditchex toptube, some also had a "Horn System" seattube. It was regular 1-1/8" at the top (27.2 seatpost) and stayed that way until just below the front derailer, where it started to flare to a larger diameter, and it got ovalized so it was even wider right-to-left.

Pretty high quality metalwork, but where they really shined was in all those logos and names cast in to the cast bits, which were picked out in contrasting colors after painting. Makes for a "busy" look, not everyone's cuppa tea, but they're extremely flashy and eye-catching.