Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stop playing the idiot when they tell you it's from "Asia"!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 10:39 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here and it's really cause I've been out of the loop on the biking scene. I've gotten a car after going for more than 9 years carless. I've moved and it wasn't that easy anymore doing the two wheels anymore. Sadly there appears to be more people out on the road on two wheels here (Sacramento) than there was in SoCal (Long Beach). I'm hoping I can get back into it at some point.

Anyways I was at a bike race in the downtown area a couple of weeks back and I was talking to a vendor that was working for Bianchi and they had a pretty big display there. I was asking about the upper class bikes there I got around to where the bike was built. He replies "this one here was made in Asia". I couldn't help laughing to myself! This guy has been shoveling this same BS to everyone that asks, I'm sure! This was not the first leg of this tour, or the last, but he was clear in his answer and was sure there would not be any pressing on that question! But there was! I asked if he had anything clearer than "made in Asia"? Well he didn't. I'm thinking cause this crap is coming from China, but could not bare to admit it.

The real problem is that this "this one here was made in Asia" flies with just about everyone that asks! This has to stop! It's about like saying "this one here was made in the Americas"! You gona take that as an answer********** It's about the same land area as Asia!

Here's a few facts that shows how weak that answer of "this one here was made in Asia". I'll also point out to how it compares to "this one here was made in Americas".

World - area, population, and percentage - 196.9 million miČ, 7.44 billion, 100%
Asia - area, population and percentage - 17.21 million miČ, 4.46 billion, 59.9% of the people and 8.7% of the land
Americas - area, population and percentage - 16.43 million miČ, 1 billion, 13.4% of the people and 8.3% of the land

So does "this one here was made in Asia" give you a good idea where the frame/fork is made? So why not call them on it**********???
Old 06-20-18, 10:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You need to ride the bike more.
Old 06-20-18, 10:49 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
They are not playing idiot...

Most are actually idiots, veritable hicks who know not the world beyond their own country.
Old 06-20-18, 11:39 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
My bike's frame was designed in Orange County, California, the frame was made in Taiwan and it's dressed up with components from Japan (apparently, the Rubino tires are made in Italy).
Old 06-21-18, 04:12 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Most are actually idiots, veritable hicks who know not the world beyond their own country.
Damn, dude. You have some hate in your heart. Most people don't know the world beyond their own country.
Old 06-21-18, 05:13 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think I can detect the subtle differences between a fork made in Taiwan and a fork made in China. Still looking for that MIA Ultegra group. Can't seem to find it - only Japanese copies.
Old 06-21-18, 05:41 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Que the "Old man yells at cloud" meme
Old 06-21-18, 05:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Asia is Strategic...

...if you're playing the board game Risk. Usually, though, because of its many borders, it's one of the last continents to be taken. He who holds Asia will rule the World. Word.
Old 06-21-18, 05:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
I try to not make contact with crazy muttering people who pass me on the street...So I won't respond to the OP.
Old 06-21-18, 06:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
My road bike frame was designed and built in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, PA and Cerakoted in Sellinsgrove, PA. Is that specific enough for you?
Old 06-21-18, 06:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
My bike's frame was designed in Orange County, California, the frame was made in Taiwan and it's dressed up with components from Japan (apparently, the Rubino tires are made in Italy).
If you mean Shimano, they might actually be made in Malaysia. Depends on the group, I think.
Old 06-21-18, 06:28 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by User1
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here and it's really cause I've been out of the loop on the biking scene. I've gotten a car after going for more than 9 years carless. I've moved and it wasn't that easy anymore doing the two wheels anymore. Sadly there appears to be more people out on the road on two wheels here (Sacramento) than there was in SoCal (Long Beach). I'm hoping I can get back into it at some point.

Anyways I was at a bike race in the downtown area a couple of weeks back and I was talking to a vendor that was working for Bianchi and they had a pretty big display there. I was asking about the upper class bikes there I got around to where the bike was built. He replies "this one here was made in Asia". I couldn't help laughing to myself! This guy has been shoveling this same BS to everyone that asks, I'm sure! This was not the first leg of this tour, or the last, but he was clear in his answer and was sure there would not be any pressing on that question! But there was! I asked if he had anything clearer than "made in Asia"? Well he didn't. I'm thinking cause this crap is coming from China, but could not bare to admit it.

The real problem is that this "this one here was made in Asia" flies with just about everyone that asks! This has to stop! It's about like saying "this one here was made in the Americas"! You gona take that as an answer********** It's about the same land area as Asia!

Here's a few facts that shows how weak that answer of "this one here was made in Asia". I'll also point out to how it compares to "this one here was made in Americas".

World - area, population, and percentage - 196.9 million miČ, 7.44 billion, 100%
Asia - area, population and percentage - 17.21 million miČ, 4.46 billion, 59.9% of the people and 8.7% of the land
Americas - area, population and percentage - 16.43 million miČ, 1 billion, 13.4% of the people and 8.3% of the land

So does "this one here was made in Asia" give you a good idea where the frame/fork is made? So why not call them on it**********???
Do you get that annoyed when someone says a car is 'European'?

It could be a German Audi or a Swedish Volvo or an Italian Ferrari or a French Peugeot or an English Aston Martin

All very different cars from very different countries. So does calling them all European Cars bother you?
Old 06-21-18, 06:31 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
The only way to solve this geo political crisis is to require all bicycle manufacturers (aka "them") to provide a certificate for each and every component used on their products stating component manufacturer, address, contact information etc. Ha ha.
Old 06-21-18, 06:33 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
As I'm wont to say ironically whenever a cheap tool breaks, there was a time when "Made in China" actually meant something.
Old 06-21-18, 06:36 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
We sell frames made in China, Taiwan, and Indonesia.

I think I'm gonna start saying "They're made right here in the Northern hemisphere. Buy local!"
Old 06-21-18, 07:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
So, what is this thread about? Did it not come from Asia? Is it that hard to ask for clarification, if you really care beyond that point?

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Damn, dude. You have some hate in your heart. Most people don't know the world beyond their own country.
That was actually a pretty tame comment coming from him.

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
The only way to solve this geo political crisis is to require all bicycle manufacturers (aka "them") to provide a certificate for each and every component used on their products stating component manufacturer, address, contact information etc. Ha ha.
To be fair, they do require that of bike helmets. Look at the label sometime, it will have the manufacturer and address on it.
Old 06-21-18, 07:33 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
All imported goods are required by law to be marked with their country of origin (specifically at the time that they're sold to a consumer). Pretty sure there's a sticker or label on every "Made in Asia" bike that doesn't say "Made in Asia". That would include the OP's upper class Bianchi.
Old 06-21-18, 07:43 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Not this topic again. Caley Fretz nailed it years ago:
The Torqued Wrench: The Myth of Origin | VeloNews.com
Old 06-21-18, 07:59 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
My suggestion: Get a bike, ride it on the ARBT at sunrise as soon as possible.

All you troubles will melt away.

(Sunset is pretty good too!)
Old 06-21-18, 10:04 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I've been to Asia... most of it, and find that it is a descriptive, accurate answer to the implied question "was this Italian bicycle made in Italy"
Old 06-21-18, 10:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My road bike frame was designed and built in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, PA and Cerakoted in Sellinsgrove, PA. Is that specific enough for you?
How well does the bike frame ride without tires and other components sourced from Asia? Do the fancy-dancy cycling clothes that you wear when upon your PA made bike frame come from the same place as the bike frame?
Old 06-21-18, 10:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How well does the bike frame ride without tires and other components sourced from Asia? Do the fancy-dancy cycling clothes that you wear when upon your PA made bike frame come from the same place as the bike frame?
*yawn* Perhaps you need another BF timeout.
Old 06-21-18, 11:12 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
...if you're playing the board game Risk. Usually, though, because of its many borders, it's one of the last continents to be taken. He who holds Asia will rule the World. Word.
Always start with Australia and move out from there.
Old 06-21-18, 11:58 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
How about "Made in the PRC"?

Ooh, that sounds fancy! How many people will know where that is? Nice try!
Old 06-21-18, 12:35 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
You need to ride the bike more.
You hit the nail on the head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.