Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Standard front derailleur to frame with direct mount?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 07:44 AM
RedRambler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Long time cyclist, but first time trying to build one up from a gravel bike frame - titanium, so bit of a newbie. Frame / derailleur question.
I'm having a bike frame custom built and have the option from the builder for front derailleur mount of 1)none 2)standard direct mount 3)E2 Direct Mount 4)Shimano high direct mount

My main issue is selecting one of these (or none). I'd like to have a 2X Shimano GRX (or possibly Ultegra) drivetrain installed, but not sure due to availability or price at the moment that it will be the first build for this frame. I have another lightly used Shimano (tiagra) 2X drivetrain on another bike that I thought about taking off and using for now, but it is not a direct mount derailleur.

If I have the frame custom made with a Shimano high direct mount - thinking to the future - I assume that "gets in the way" of installing a standard / older front derailleur. Is there an easy way to at least for the short term - install a standard front derailleur that I have on a frame with the Shimano high direct mount? If so, what is that solution / work-around? Other recommendations? Thanks!
Old 10-21-20, 08:54 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Since it's a Ti frame I'll assume you have a round seat tube and can mount a clamp on derailleur so IMO go with no mount for a clamp on. Makes things easier if you decide to go with smaller/bigger chainring, future changes to new derailleurs that may call for higher or lower mounting that's out of range of a fixed mount, etc.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-21-20, 11:08 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 976 Posts
On a painted frame I would definitely go for direct mount because the clamp is hell on the paint.
On an unpainted Ti frame either way is fine.
Old 10-21-20, 11:34 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
On a painted frame I would definitely go for direct mount because the clamp is hell on the paint.
On an unpainted Ti frame either way is fine.
This. Although if it was me, regardless of paint, I'd go direct mount.