Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help. Looking for a specific rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 11:07 PM
Stayfrosty24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Upgrading my trek kaitai (ds) to disc breaks and I need 2 rims that are disc break capable. Just cant seem to find them anywhere online. 700c size and I'm currently running a 45mm tire. A link would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-10-14, 02:11 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Any suitable width rim will work since the brake is in the hub.
Old 10-10-14, 02:35 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Any suitable width rim will work since the brake is in the hub.
This. All a manufacturer means by "disc brake rims" is that the rim either doesn't have the braking surface machined after the coating's applied to the rim, or doesn't have a flat braking surface at all.

Unless by "rims" you mean the entire wheel, including the spokes and hub, that is. If that's the case, for future reference, in the bike world "rim" refers to the bit of metal around the outside of a wheel, onto which the tyre fits. You'd be looking for a disc brake wheelset if that's what you actually meant.

Also, the correct spelling of the thing that stops your bike is "brake". I don't really care how people spell it, but googling the wrong spelling might be contributing to your inability to find suitable parts.
Old 10-10-14, 02:36 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure exactly what your concern is...All rims tend to be disc brake capable because with disc brakes the brakes do not touch the rim. What would be more important is if you were running a standard caliper brake setup as then it is important to know if the rim is rated for use with a "rim brakes" as some rim models have done away with machined brake tracks and made the sidewalls thinner for those that are not intended for use with rim brakes.

The only disc brake specific concern I can think of about a rim is whether or not the spoke holes have additional offset to help account for the increased dish necessary for the hubs with disc mounts. But I don't even think this issue is all that important.

-j
Old 10-10-14, 03:56 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Going by your other post, sell the bike (you already have a potential buyer who is offering probably more than it's worth), and just get a bike with disc brakes on it from new, it will be the cheapest option.
Old 10-10-14, 05:24 AM
Stayfrosty24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me be more specific. I need a wheelset that is disc brake capable.
The local bike shop has only 1 set for me and they are 140$ each. I would like to compare different wheelsets online. I am a novice if you can't tell. Oh and the buyer for my bike backed out. So if anyone could send me a link or 2 of the wheelsets I need that would be awesome! Thanks.
Old 10-10-14, 05:57 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Stayfrosty24
Let me be more specific. I need a wheelset that is disc brake capable.
The local bike shop has only 1 set for me and they are 140$ each. I would like to compare different wheelsets online. I am a novice if you can't tell. Oh and the buyer for my bike backed out. So if anyone could send me a link or 2 of the wheelsets I need that would be awesome! Thanks.
In your other post you said that your bike shop could set your bike up with disc brakes for a total of $250. If that is all it would cost, don't even bother shopping around, you probably can't get a lower price. But at that price, don't expect miracles, you will be buying lower end wheels and brake calipers that may well not perform any better than the brakes you already have
Old 10-10-14, 06:00 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
So you want a bargain wheelset with 9/10mm qr.
Have you got rotors yet? If so or you have a preference, we need to know.

If not then price point has these. You'll probably need 2 rim strips also.
WTB FX23/Origin 8 29er Disc Hub Quick Release Wheelset Black | WTB
Old 10-10-14, 06:08 AM
Stayfrosty24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have anything yet! Was looking at the avid bb7 180mm brake set on Amazon for 70$. What is a rim strip? Lol. And yes my bike shop said 250 before instal but I wanted to shop around.
Old 10-10-14, 07:49 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
shopping around is different than phishing for information. You have asked this forum to do your shopping around for you and post the links for you to follow.

Since you know that you need wheels for disc brake equiped bike then access your good friend Mr. Goggle and start putting in search words. There is even a link on google titled "shopping" which will bring up online retailers associated with your search words.

Being a newbie is one thing, being lame is something totally different.

If you can't find a resource on the internet to help you figure out what a resource is so that you can return and add something to this discussion then you are just plain lame and as others have suggested should just stick with what your local bike shop can offer you.

-j
Old 10-10-14, 07:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Rim strips cover the spoke holes. They're an important part of the wheel that wheels don't always come with. Wheels sometimes don't come with skewers also, so watch for that.

If the Amazon rotors are 6 bolt then they'll go on those wheels
Old 10-10-14, 07:58 AM
alcjphil

I don't have anything yet! Was looking at the avid bb7 180mm brake set on Amazon for 70$. What is a rim strip? Lol. And yes my bike shop said 250 before instal but I wanted to shop around.
180mm rotors would not usually be used on a hybrid,they would be used on a bike used for much more aggressive riding. You would be adding weight for no benefit. Bikes like yours would usually be using 160mm rotors
Old 10-10-14, 10:07 AM
Stayfrosty24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me greenfield. I don't know anything about biking and I soent 2 hours trying to find wheels compatible with disc breaks on Amazon and Google with NO results. So you can lose the attitude bro. That's what forums are for. Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 10-10-14, 10:16 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Me greenfield. I don't know anything about biking and I soent 2 hours trying to find wheels compatible with disc breaks on Amazon and Google with NO results. So you can lose the attitude bro. That's what forums are for. Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Refer to the last paragraph of Post 3
Old 10-10-14, 10:29 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Search "personal shopping service."
Old 10-10-14, 10:48 AM
Stayfrosty24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol
Old 10-10-14, 10:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
As others have said above-- when speaking rims, translate the phrase "disc brake compatible" to mean "not rim brake compatible". OTOH being rim brake compatible has no impact on disc compatibility except maybe cosmetically. Normal rims have brake tracks, disc rims don't.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-10-14, 01:19 PM
alcjphil

Google "700c hybrid disc BRAKE wheels"
I got over 360,000 results
It's all in the spelling
By the way, 29" and 700c are different names for the same wheel size
Old 10-10-14, 05:44 PM
CptKlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes you can use really any rim you want with the size 29" or 700c there both the same size just a different way of measuring the size one is inch's and one is millimeters. And also disk brakes don't care what kind of rims you use be it Rim brake rims or Disk brake rims.
Old 10-10-14, 09:53 PM
Stayfrosty24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the 2 bike shops near me i need disc capable wheelsets. So far these are the front runners...

WTB FX23/Origin 8 29er Disc Hub Quick Release Wheelset Black | WTB
Old 10-10-14, 10:16 PM
CptKlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When your choosing premade wheelsets yes you will need disk capable ones. But if your where going the custom rout or building them yourself the important part you want to look at when it comes to disk brakes is the Hubs thats where all the action is when it comes to disk brakes.

Whats your prices range cuz i have found quite a few 29" wheelsets that are Disk capable
Old 10-12-14, 01:50 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
According to the 2 bike shops near me i need disc capable wheelsets.
You do, but you initially asked about "disc specific rims", which is not the same as "disc compatible wheelsets". Disc-compatible rims are not required - disc compatibility for a wheelset is only affected by the hubs.
Old 10-12-14, 02:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
I think part of the problem relates to terminology.

In the auto world the metal part to which a tire is mounted is called a rim.

However, in the bicycle world, where wheels are made or rims laced to hubs with spokes wheel refers to the entire unit (with or without a tire), and the rim, spokes and hub separate parts.

To close the circle, rim brakes require a (rim) brake compatible rim. Until recently almost all rims were brake compatible, with the exception being low end steel rims made for use with coaster brakes. The advent of disc brakes freed rims from the need for brake surfaces, so there are now "disc compatible" rims, which really means that they are not rim brake compatible.

The reverse is true for hubs, which generally cannot accept a brake disc, and so need to be disc brake compatible. It's possible to have the capacity and not use it, so you can build a wheel with standard rims for a rim brake, on a disc compatible hub, and have a wheel usable with either brake system.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.