Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding bike in Delaware

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding bike in Delaware

Old 09-21-19, 06:43 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Riding bike in Delaware

Planning to go to the Delaware in 2 days. Never was there. Will be good to know if there any good bike trails. I will stay in the Fenwick Island Hotel for 4 days.

Thanks for any tips!

My plans is: riding bike, ocean fishing and metal detecting on the beach.

Old 09-22-19, 01:52 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I'm in northern DE and can't help with downstate trails. One of the forum moderators is from Sussex County. He should be able to help. You can also contact Sussex Cyclists - Home, a bike club in the area. Enjoy.
Old 09-22-19, 03:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I live 6 miles west of Bethany Beach. Bethany is 5 miles north of Fenwick Isl. Really not any biking trails of any distance to choose from. Coastal Highway has a lot of bicyclists on it from the OC, MD inlet up to Rehoboth Beach, wide shoulder. From Bethany north to Rehoboth includes crossing the Indian River Inlet, north bound has a ped/bike protected lane, beautiful. OC boardwalk is just shy is 3 miles long. N to S starts at 26th St and runs to the inlet. Nice ride in the morning. Across from the inlet is Assateague Island, maybe a 12 mile car ride for access. Very good place for a ride, pavement not trails. You will probably see some of the famous ponies. OC is 10 miles long with a "dedicated" bus/bike lane. Good ride early morning, after 10am traffic gets heavy. Rehoboth and Bethany both have boardwalks, both on the shorter than OC. Sunrise and sunset always a scenic time to ride Coastal Highway. I drive a school bus and get done at about 8:30 am and back to it from 2pm to 5pm. Reply to this post and I can try to hook up with you. I am a road biker but just today bought CX Lemond Poprad. Are you coming across the Cape May/Lewes Ferry from NJ? I am sending you a PM
Old 09-22-19, 04:07 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Pics from south-coastal Delaware

Sunrise Bethany Beach

BB sunrise

Indian River inlet sunrise from bridge

Looking west from IR bridge

Early morning Bethany boardwalk

Last edited by delbiker1; 09-12-20 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-23-19, 11:36 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I just did a century ride in Delaware (my first!) and the back country roads are all worth riding on. It was all on road and not dedicated trails, but many of the roads in and around Dover have lanes specifically for bikes. I suspects you could ride in and around Fenwick Island with ease and relative safety even if you aren't on a dedicated trail.
Old 09-23-19, 11:56 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Originally Posted by guachi
I just did a century ride in Delaware (my first!) and the back country roads are all worth riding on. It was all on road and not dedicated trails, but many of the roads in and around Dover have lanes specifically for bikes. I suspects you could ride in and around Fenwick Island with ease and relative safety even if you aren't on a dedicated trail.
That statement is relatively true. The main roads have bike lanes or wide shoulders. Rte 54 heading west from Fenwick gets a lot of bike traffic. Once you get inland about 4 miles you can get off 54 onto rural like 2 lane roads. Also at the 4 mile point, rte. 20(Zion Church RD) heads NW and has a wide shoulder. However, always be aware that there are a lot of distracted motorists looking for a business, a road, just sight seeing, and be very defensive for your safety. Also, a lot of scooters, pedestrians and other cyclists that are using earbuds, on their phone or just not mentally focused on where they are going or what they are doing. Same as anywhere, many motorists have no patience or acceptance for cyclists. YOUR SAFETY LARGELY DEPENDS ON YOU!
Old 01-31-20, 05:40 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Yes, I was at Fenwick Island, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach. Biking there is really enjoyably and fun!!!! Specially on Fenwick Island

Last edited by LeoGrand; 01-31-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 08:09 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Glad you enjoyed your Delaware bike ride.