Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Hit a Tree...Tree Wins

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Hit a Tree...Tree Wins

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 12:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I remember sleeping in a recliner or sofa, either so I could breathe or stay on the one side that didn't hurt. Did that for years on and off after my first serious injury in 2001, and again most of 2018. I love my memory foam mattress, but there are still a few times a month I nap or sleep on the sofa. Usually covered in cats. For some reason all three of them decide they must pile on top of me when I nap on the sofa.
Old 04-13-20, 07:37 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Glad you survived. I hope you find out what is causing it. Blacking out while on the bike is a scary thing. I suffer occasional bouts (once every 6 months or so) of tachycardia that make me dizzy and I have to pull over and lie down for a few minutes until they pass. I went through a lot of tests and haven't tracked down a cause or treatment. So far it hasn't caused a significant problem but I worry that it could someday become more severe and lead to a blackout while riding. If that happens I will have to reconsider whether cycling is advisable. Maybe a trike would work.
Old 04-13-20, 08:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
As other posters have noted, it's probably worth finding out WHY you don't remember anything. Concussion? No big deal. TIA? Yikes, you shouldn't be riding OR driving.

But at the end of the day, as my father in law used to say, "Getting old is hell. (But it beats the alternative!)
Old 04-13-20, 08:38 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Almost passed out myself a few weeks ago at the start of a moderate grade after riding for about three hours. I think it was caused by hypotension brought on by dehydration and low blood sugar. Stopped and drank a bottle of Cytomax and had a couple of fig newtons. Felt better within ten minutes. No problems for the rest of the two hours and consumed more fluids and a Clif bar after about 30 more minutes. It was a cool day and I think I just needed to keep a closer eye on hydration and nutrition. It catches up with me quickly.
Old 04-13-20, 09:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Homebrew. consider sleeping also in another chair, even if it's in another room and just leaving the appropriate pillows and blankets by each chair. I found the best sleeping arrangements for each to be quite different. Once I figured it out, my routine looked very odd but I slept pretty well. (You might have to ask your family/housemates to bear with you. Everything takes far longer and hurts far more than they can imagine.)

Ben
Old 04-13-20, 04:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Homebrew. consider sleeping also in another chair, even if it's in another room and just leaving the appropriate pillows and blankets by each chair. I found the best sleeping arrangements for each to be quite different. Once I figured it out, my routine looked very odd but I slept pretty well. (You might have to ask your family/housemates to bear with you. Everything takes far longer and hurts far more than they can imagine.)

Ben
I was able to sleep on the couch on my left side, and get up without much trouble. So I will add that to my options.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-14-20, 01:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, lots of pillows of different sizes help.

And I finally got around to properly securing a brass headboard to my bed. It was sorta half-way fastened with a couple of bolts for looks but not for function. I added extra bolts, secured tightly, and could use the headboard to ease myself in and out of bed. Really helped.

And a memory foam mattress, with somewhat soft top but firm main foundation. Along with a platform instead of box springs and frame. No rollers on the metal platform. No worries about it sliding around. Comfortable yet still easier to get in and out of bed, compared with my old squishy inner spring mattress.
Old 04-23-20, 08:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Sleeping on my back would be ok, except once down, I can't move or reposition without help. So, I am sleeping on the sofa in a sitting position, about as restful as sleeping in airplane cheap seats.

This Ikea chair allowed my kid to get sleep for the first week after having jaw surgery, when nothing else worked. I later put it in my office, and can confirm it is the only chair I have ever managed to fall asleep in. (I can't sleep a wink in airplane chairs, even on long-haul flights).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-23-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 10:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
This Ikea chair allowed my kid to get sleep for the first week after having jaw surgery, when nothing else worked. I later put it in my office, and can confirm it is the only chair I have ever managed to fall asleep in. (I can't sleep a wink in airplane chairs, even on long-haul flights).

I have almost that chair, (Dania(?) from 25 years ago.) And yup,it was in the rotation.