Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No mainstream love for steel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No mainstream love for steel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 06:19 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
....Most of the riders who are commenting about steel frames are most likely talking about handmade steel frames using good quality steel tubing. Handmade steel frames are not inexpensive. New frames from well known frame builders in the US can easily cost over $5,000. They may also be talking about many of the old classic handmade Italian or French racing bike frames which in their day were the very best and are highly desirable collector's items.
With due respect..while some more exotic steel-frame examples are shown in this thread..they aren't the bread and butter, excellent quality, steel bikes that people refer to and discuss on a regular basis. Great quality/riding new bikes of any material are expensive, however on the used market there's plenty of options in excellent steel bikes available and one doesn't need to seek out old Italian frames to find them, although that's one option. Look at a dozen or so pages of the CV thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-part-ii.html
or
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ergos-306.html

and you'll see many very nice older & more modern steel rides at modest prices. A close to me example..I have an Acer-Mex Windsor-Pro that I bought new in 1979 that would fetch maybe a few hundred dollars on the used market. Columbus XL tubing, Campy components head to toe..wonderful ride. I rented a $3K+ carbon Spec Roubaix a couple years ago for a day...hands down, given the choice of one or the other..I'd take my Windsor for the more comfortable-fun ride it offers.

Modest priced good steel bikes may take a little more user-effort(primarily knowledge and possibly component swaps) than walking into a bike shop full of aluminum and carbon and saying "I'll take the blue one..", but they are readily available. For a no-brainer modern component (STI shifting) option..pick up a Lemond steel bike from the late 90's through 2008. Reynolds 853 or Platinum OX tubing with 105 or better components for $500-$1000. Or for $1200..go with a titanium model.

Last edited by fishboat; 04-23-20 at 10:25 AM. Reason: edit..typo
Old 04-23-20, 09:14 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
[...]and you'll see many very nice older & more modern steel rides at modest prices. A close to me example. I have an Acer-Mex Windsor-Pro that I bought new in 1979 that would fetch maybe a few hundred dollars on the used market. Columbus XL tubing, Campy components head to toe..wonderful ride. I rented a $3K+ carbon Spec Roubaix a couple years ago for a day...hands down, given the choice of one or the other..I'd take my Windsor for the more comfortable-fun ride it offers.
There are times I wish I still had mine. I had one of the same vintage (mine was from 1978), rode the hell out of it and it kept coming back for more. It still rates as one of the more memorable bikes I've owned. But college was pretty rough on it and I was using it as a utility bike than the road machine it was. It finally disappeared at a car race where I had been using it to get around the paddock.

About 4 years ago it turned up halfway across the country from me. The race team next us had accidentally loaded it in their trailer with their other bikes and took it home to Atlanta. One of their mechanics realized it wasn't theirs when they unloaded the trailer. Almost 30 years later he found me and asked it I wanted it back. He even offered to ship it to me. He apologized profusely as he was the one who loaded it with their bikes. It had been hanging in his garage for most of that time and the pictures showed it to be in a pretty sorry state with the frame heavily rusted. I told hm that I had written if off long ago and to do with it as he pleased.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 04-23-20, 10:32 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by RGMN
There are times I wish I still had mine. I had one of the same vintage (mine was from 1978), rode the hell out of it and it kept coming back for more. It still rates as one of the more memorable bikes I've owned. But college was pretty rough on it and I was using it as a utility bike than the road machine it was. It finally disappeared at a car race where I had been using it to get around the paddock.

About 4 years ago it turned up halfway across the country from me. The race team next us had accidentally loaded it in their trailer with their other bikes and took it home to Atlanta. One of their mechanics realized it wasn't theirs when they unloaded the trailer. Almost 30 years later he found me and asked it I wanted it back. He even offered to ship it to me. He apologized profusely as he was the one who loaded it with their bikes. It had been hanging in his garage for most of that time and the pictures showed it to be in a pretty sorry state with the frame heavily rusted. I told hm that I had written if off long ago and to do with it as he pleased.
Nice story. Good on him for remembering you and offering to get it back to you. Sadly, that kind of character is getting harder to find.

I have more modern equivalent or higher-end bikes, steel and titanium with STI shifting, but I can't say that any of them ride/handle any better than the Windsor. Though I do like the STI shifting over friction shifting on the downtube.
Old 04-23-20, 10:41 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
With due respect..while some more exotic steel-frame examples are shown in this thread..they aren't the bread and butter, excellent quality, steel bikes that people refer to and discuss on a regular basis. Great quality/riding new bikes of any material are expensive, however on the used market there's plenty of options in excellent steel bikes available and one doesn't need to seek out old Italian frames to find them, although that's one option. Look at a dozen or so pages of the CV thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-part-ii.html
or
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ergos-306.html

and you'll see many very nice older & more modern steel rides at modest prices. A close to me example..I have an Acer-Mex Windsor-Pro that I bought new in 1979 that would fetch maybe a few hundred dollars on the used market. Columbus XL tubing, Campy components head to toe..wonderful ride. I rented a $3K+ carbon Spec Roubaix a couple years ago for a day...hands down, given the choice of one or the other..I'd take my Windsor for the more comfortable-fun ride it offers.

Modest priced good steel bikes may take a little more user-effort(primarily knowledge and possibly component swaps) than walking into a bike shop full of aluminum and carbon and saying "I'll take the blue one..", but they are readily available. For a no-brainer modern component (STI shifting) option..pick up a Lemond steel bike from the late 90's through 2008. Reynolds 853 or Platinum OX tubing with 105 or better components for $500-$1000. Or for $1200..go with a titanium model.
Yes, you are correct. There are lots of great used values in American made used bikes out there. But, the point is that all of them are most likely handmade of good quality tubing. The quote I was responding to talked of buying new bikes at Bikes Direct for less than $600. That is a different animal.
Old 04-23-20, 12:38 PM
fishboat

Yes, you are correct. There are lots of great used values in American made used bikes out there. But, the point is that all of them are most likely handmade of good quality tubing. The quote I was responding to talked of buying new bikes at Bikes Direct for less than $600. That is a different animal.
I just wanted it generally clear that premium steel bikes are far from expensive, if you know what you want and where to look. They're readily available..and on sale relative to what they cost new. A couple Lemonds I have ran $3-$4k new (in today's dollars) and I picked them up in recent years for about 25 cents on the dollar.

Expectations would be moderately low for any(material) new bike at a $600 price point(today**). Certainly not the basis on which broad generalizations could be made about carbon, aluminum, or steel. Although, $600 today on the used market can get you a VERY nice steel bike.

**Once upon a time, $600 could get you a SOTA bike..back when steel was the only option. I paid $600 for my Windsor in '79 ($2100 in today's dollars).
Old 04-23-20, 06:55 PM
Johnk3

I just wanted it generally clear that premium steel bikes are far from expensive, if you know what you want and where to look. They're readily available..and on sale relative to what they cost new. A couple Lemonds I have ran $3-$4k new (in today's dollars) and I picked them up in recent years for about 25 cents on the dollar.

Expectations would be moderately low for any(material) new bike at a $600 price point(today**). Certainly not the basis on which broad generalizations could be made about carbon, aluminum, or steel. Although, $600 today on the used market can get you a VERY nice steel bike.

**Once upon a time, $600 could get you a SOTA bike..back when steel was the only option. I paid $600 for my Windsor in '79 ($2100 in today's dollars).
I bought my Simoncini in the early 80's for about $750 as I recall, but that was a fair amount to pay for a bike back then. The very nice steel bikes you can buy now for $600 used, would be expensive if they were new because they were all handmade..
Old 04-24-20, 11:28 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
High end steel seems to also have comparable tube diameter to aluminum. The one aspect I like most about steel bikes is thinner tube diameters.
That does seem to be true of quite a lot of the ready made steel frames around these days. But Reynolds and Columbus do supply tubes in the narrower diameters in the higher end alloys.

I think 1 inch TT, 1 1/8 DT 0.8/0.6/0.8 wall is a really sweet ride in about a 55cm frame size. Don't know who makes that these days though besides custom builders and maybe some Italian manufacturers.
Old 04-24-20, 11:40 AM
adlai

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
That does seem to be true of quite a lot of the ready made steel frames around these days. But Reynolds and Columbus do supply tubes in the narrower diameters in the higher end alloys.

I think 1 inch TT, 1 1/8 DT 0.8/0.6/0.8 wall is a really sweet ride in about a 55cm frame size. Don't know who makes that these days though besides custom builders and maybe some Italian manufacturers.
I based my statement off of this: Genesis Volare, Reynolds 853 frame.
Old 04-24-20, 12:53 PM
Johnk3

In general I have been underwhelmed by the steel bikes I have owned even though in theory they should have been to my liking, because in general I will sacrifice weight for comfort.

in general it does feel like steel is less explosive than aluminum and explosive is what makes bike riding fun.

I think also think that this talk about steel being a forgiving frame material also only applies to low end steel and high end steel, having thinner walls, has to be stiffer to compensate, which then makes it more like aluminum. High end steel seems to also have comparable tube diameter to aluminum. The one aspect I like most about steel bikes is thinner tube diameters.
Aluminum is light but not nearly as strong as steel, so the aluminum bike tubes have to be quite large and thick to handle the weight and stress. They are also able to be molded into non-round shapes. The larger amount of metal needed for an aluminum frame often cancels out its low weight.
Modern high end steel tubing is larger diameter because it is very thin and the larger diameter makes it much stronger. The Columbus XCr seat tube is 33 mm in diameter and is triple butted at 0.65 / 0.45 / 0.65 mm, but it is quite light. Aside from that, there is still a difference in handling because of the nature of the material independent of size, shape and thickness.
Old 04-24-20, 03:08 PM
adlai

Aluminum is light but not nearly as strong as steel, so the aluminum bike tubes have to be quite large and thick to handle the weight and stress. They are also able to be molded into non-round shapes. The larger amount of metal needed for an aluminum frame often cancels out its low weight.
Modern high end steel tubing is larger diameter because it is very thin and the larger diameter makes it much stronger. The Columbus XCr seat tube is 33 mm in diameter and is triple butted at 0.65 / 0.45 / 0.65 mm, but it is quite light. Aside from that, there is still a difference in handling because of the nature of the material independent of size, shape and thickness.
In all honesty, of the steel bikes I have ridden my favorite is a low end steel bike that has tiny tubes. It isn't the lightest, but I really like how the thin tubes feel while handling the bicycle.
Old 04-24-20, 03:20 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
Got my Cinelli on the stand...waiting on the crankset and FD to come in next week.

Old 04-24-20, 03:41 PM
guy153

I based my statement off of this: Genesis Volare, Reynolds 853 frame.
Yes that's the kind of thing that's a bit overbuilt IMO. It's Reynolds 853 yet according to Genesis's website the weight is 2.45kg with a carbon fork, so probably about 2.15kg for the frame. My 631 frame with 1" top-tube is only 1.3kg. It's quite a bit of extra weight but considering that it's also oversize, a lot of extra stiffness. Why did they use such large diameter and evidently also quite thick walls, especially when 853 is so strong anyway? Maybe it's better for sprinting, but who buys a steel bike for that? It's more like a touring frame only with short chainstays and no braze-ons.
Old 04-24-20, 04:10 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I would not look at Buy-cycling magazine for shopping advice.

pbass : There are plenty of great steel frames out there. I do have a cf-framed bike, but ride my steel bikes the most.
Yep, I own two! A Kona and a Surly. I'm a "steel-only" guy. Had my share of harsh aluminum rides, and I've never been drawn to CF (I'd rather have something custom/steel built with that kind of $ outlay).
Old 04-25-20, 06:13 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The fact is there has never been a more beautiful bike than a steel lugged frame bike with down tube shifters, built in the late 80s. They were beautiful, light and clean, many with triple butted steel tubes made just for bikes.
What about, as an example, a Peugeot PRN10 with down tube shifters made '76-'78? That is what I have. I do prefer those bikes, but I did just buy a new road bike.

Danny
Old 04-25-20, 06:17 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Yep, I own two! A Kona and a Surly. I'm a "steel-only" guy. Had my share of harsh aluminum rides, and I've never been drawn to CF (I'd rather have something custom/steel built with that kind of $ outlay).
I have an old Peugeot and think that I know what you mean. My frame/bike always seemed "live", reacting to every move I made and to the road. My new bike is aluminum. It is a nice bike because it has newer features, but I like the old classic, steel bikes.

Danny
Old 04-25-20, 06:52 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

For my first new bike build in 27 years, I am going steel. Crabon always tempts me but damn I'm a sucker for skinny tubes.
Old 04-25-20, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Yes that's the kind of thing that's a bit overbuilt IMO. It's Reynolds 853 yet according to Genesis's website the weight is 2.45kg with a carbon fork, so probably about 2.15kg for the frame. My 631 frame with 1" top-tube is only 1.3kg. It's quite a bit of extra weight but considering that it's also oversize, a lot of extra stiffness. Why did they use such large diameter and evidently also quite thick walls, especially when 853 is so strong anyway? Maybe it's better for sprinting, but who buys a steel bike for that? It's more like a touring frame only with short chainstays and no braze-ons.
1- 1300g for your 631 frame- wat? Is it a size 38cm frame, have no brazeons, and also not have a brake bridge or chainstay bridge?

2- there is a noticeable trend that production 853 frames from English brands are not light due to the fatigue testing the frames must pass. Heavier 853 is used, even DZB 853 downtubes are used on gravel road frames.
Actually, 853, 735, and 631 built frames designed by British brands seem to consistently employ this design approach.
Old 04-25-20, 09:42 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- 1300g for your 631 frame- wat? Is it a size 38cm frame, have no brazeons, and also not have a brake bridge or chainstay bridge?

2- there is a noticeable trend that production 853 frames from English brands are not light due to the fatigue testing the frames must pass. Heavier 853 is used, even DZB 853 downtubes are used on gravel road frames.
Actually, 853, 735, and 631 built frames designed by British brands seem to consistently employ this design approach.
Sorry, my bad. It was 1600g, minus fork and before painting. I was forgetting whether I had subtracted the fork or not. It's 1600g without the fork. I thought that was pretty light so weighed some water on the kitchen scales I used and they checked out. It's 55.5cm square, has both bridges and all the braze-ons you need for gears, brakes and a couple of bottles.
Old 04-25-20, 12:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To me the lugged brazed steel frames with down tube shifters of the 80s were some of the most simple and beautiful bikes ever built. Some like my one son's even has the brake cables under the handle bar wrapping, so it is really totally clean of cables flapping in the wind. There is only the short cable guide run back at the RD showing.
Old 04-26-20, 08:28 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
To me the lugged brazed steel frames with down tube shifters of the 80s were some of the most simple and beautiful bikes ever built. Some like my one son's even has the brake cables under the handle bar wrapping, so it is really totally clean of cables flapping in the wind. There is only the short cable guide run back at the RD showing.
I am keeping an eye out locally for another vintage bike, and this vintage of bicycle might be the ultimate based on your description. The new bikes are great, but the vintage ig bikes you mention, and just prior, I think, are the ultimate in classic beauty. The new bikes just lack that kind of class. To be honest, after riding the new brake lever shifters, I may still prefer the simpler downtube mounted lever shifters.

Danny
Old 04-26-20, 09:58 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I think steel is great. I would never waste money on an aluminum or carbon bike they just feel like garbage to me when I am riding. I think titanium is good, too, my neighbor has ti and it is a great bike, but it is also quite expensive. The 'mainstream' wants to cheap out and sell you complete garbage, or sell you overly expensive and impractical fad items. Last thing it wants to sell you something quality and reasonably priced that will last your whole life. Everything is like that, not just bikes.
Likes For Oneder:
Old 04-26-20, 12:25 PM
slowgo

Is it still necessary to treat modern steel frames, like the Cinelli Vigorelli I am building up, with frame saver for corrosion resistance?
Old 04-26-20, 02:15 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by slowgo
Is it still necessary to treat modern steel frames, like the Cinelli Vigorelli I am building up, with frame saver for corrosion resistance?
Necessary? That depends on how you will be using and storing it. I store my bikes inside and do not rain ride, so maybe not for me. It may already have been treated.

All uncoated steel will oxidize to some degree, and that is a very nice frame, so personally, I would treat it. And not just because I keep stuff I like for a long time.

I have been a true rustophobic since owning 3 1960's VW Beetles with rust under the running boards

So says the man who still has his 1973 Peugeot UO-8 with NO rust.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 04-26-20 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 04-26-20, 03:47 PM
slowgo

I’ll figured it couldn’t hurt so got some and sprayed it. Waiting on the crankset and FD that will be here mid next week to finish it up.
Old 04-26-20, 09:30 PM
adlai

More observations: high end steel has to be thin and skinny. Aluminum is less dense and can be molded into more shapes while steel generally is circular. Thin and skinny means prone to dents. So in a way more fragile.

alu makes more sense from an industry perspective. More shapes can be marketed to people better. Corrosion resistant. Fewer dents and warranty problems.

also, the difference between alu and steel is subtle. Take the weight savings from alu, and install a sprung saddle, and it handily beats steel for comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.