Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C & V fishing reels anyone ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C & V fishing reels anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 06:06 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I agree! When I was a kid, growing up in the '60's in Maine, we used to fish for mackerel when they were running in the harbor. The 300 was the holy grail. A couple of us had them, but the rest of us lusted for them. Me? I was stuck with a Zebco 202, which disliked salt water very much, and a cruddy South Bend (?) spinning reel.
I did the same thing growing up in Nova Scotia. I was lucky enough to have a 300, with their brass gears they were empervious to Salt Water. We used 2 weighted hooks wraped in tinfoil. It wasn't uncommon to pull in 2 in at a time.
Old 05-01-20, 06:37 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
I did the same thing growing up in Nova Scotia. I was lucky enough to have a 300, with their brass gears they were empervious to Salt Water. We used 2 weighted hooks wraped in tinfoil. It wasn't uncommon to pull in 2 in at a time.
Tinfoil! We never thought of that! We did use pull-tabs though, which were always on the ground somewhere.
Old 05-01-20, 08:38 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have the following 3 reels. None of them have been used recently. About the only fishing I get in anymore is a trout fishing trip every couple of years. Chronic spine and shoulder issues are not conducive to fishing, at least not the kind I like to do.

Purchase in spring of 1980. 9800 Garcia

New in 1981. Caught, by far, more fish than any other reel I have ever owned. From 2 inch trout to 20 lb. Striped bass. 714Z Penn

From mid 80's. Mostly saltwater with lots of trolling. 712Z Penn
The Z series of Penn are some ot the best reels ever produced. They are reliable and long lasting, easy to work on. Not sure about now, but parts were easily obtained. The only issues I had with them was having to keep bail springs on hand and occasionally having to replace the bail arm. Both of those things after thousands of casts. Really smooth drags.
I have a good sized collection of Penn reels myself, my first new reel was a 710z and that started it for me, had most sizes in the Z series but sold the rare 706z Bailess with a power handle when I was short on $. Just picked up a NIB 714z for a $1 at a estate sale lol

Glenn
Likes For Glennfordx4:
Old 05-01-20, 03:50 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Of course you didn't mean horde. You meant hoard.
"Horde" is a great word because it has three homophones. My favorite comes from the word "hoar," which is frost.

You can use "hoared" in a sort of highfalutin' literary way, as in "The C&V enthusiast's hair and beard, once coal-black, were hoared by nearly three decade of struggle with seized bottom-bracket cups."

Or you can use as a simple past tense, as you would for the verb forms of "rain" or "snow." Try it yourself--next time you you look out the window and see frost on the grass, say "Hey, look! It hoared!"

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 05-17-20, 07:08 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
In the continuing search for my frankincense I came upon my fly fishing gear. I don’t think any of these were vintage when I bought them though.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-30-21, 10:48 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
“All Bikes Do The Same Thing”

So my son told me when I informed him that I sold a bike to buy these:

Penn 505 and 506
High speed 5:1 and the spool rides on ball bearings instead of the bushings in a regular 500 Jig Master.
Sorta like 7 speed friction compared to modern gear. I’m wrapping a new production but old school fiberglass jig stick for the 506. Need to sell more parts to get something for the 505.
Old 07-31-21, 12:18 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Cleaning out my storage, I found these...

I gave away my rods and reels right before I moved to the PNW. I kept this tackle, thinking I might get back into it. Never did. PM if interested.