Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calorie Counting - Apple Watch Vs. Power Meters

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Calorie Counting - Apple Watch Vs. Power Meters

Old 05-07-20, 12:19 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Ignore PM calories (because some do it weird) and look at total kilo Joules from the ride. You can just change the label from kJ to kCal and be within a few percent of god's honest truth.
This what TrainingPeaks does when it doesn’t have HR information. I don’t always ride with a HR monitor and kJ and kCal are the same
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-07-20, 12:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
AW Total Calories - 873 (workout + calories I would have burned if I didn't workout)
AW Active Calories - 743 (workout only)
PM Calories - 501 (I'm not sure who's algorithm this is... i.e. Zwift, Strava, or the Tacx?).
​​​​​​For the sake of clarity, someone needs to point this out. I'm not about to say anything anyone doesn't know, just maybe solidify the concept.

A power meter measures work done. (1 watt = 1 Joule per second.)

This active/total breakdown doesn't exist for power meters. If you stayed on the couch, it would read zero. You're still burning your BMR on top of what the PM says.

A power meter doesn't "see" effort like keeping the bike upright, but there's very little effort involved there, the bike "wants" to remain in balance. Thousands of independent studies have demonstrated that a PM is the most reliable way to "measure" calorie use outside a metabolic ward. When you run there's a lot of opportunity to waste energy, it's called "running economy." But we don't have that. You spend 99% of a ride seated. Your feet are clipped to pedals turning the exact same circle every time. There's no vertical oscillation with each step, there's no tradeoff between flight time and stride length, etc. You can waste energy by sitting upright or using brakes that rub, but a PM will see the result of things like that because it measures work done overcoming all opposing forces.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-07-20, 12:59 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I don't have an outdoor PM, but I just got a Tacx Neo 2T which has a built in PM.
These are my numbers from my 20 mile, 1hr 15min ride yesterday:

AW Total Calories - 873 (workout + calories I would have burned if I didn't workout)
AW Active Calories - 743 (workout only)
PM Calories - 501 (I'm not sure who's algorithm this is... i.e. Zwift, Strava, or the Tacx?).

So yeah... quite a difference.
On the other hand, I've tested the AW HR against my Garmin HRM and they are pretty spot on. I've even tested it against a HRM at a gym and the AW is always the same as others.

1:15:39 hh:mm:ss @ 116 W is 526,524 Joules delivered to the power meter. Strava estimates 501 kcal consumed by your body, or 2,143,000 Joules. This yields an efficiency of 24.5%, which is right in the normal wheelhouse. I think Strava is giving you a very accurate number for calories burned, within the limits of what is reasonable/feasible. Heart rate is simply not a reliable measure of calories burned. I can increase my HR by 20 BPM just by drinking a bunch of coffee or riding when I'm under a lot of stress. It's a great measure or perceived exertion, however. And units of power produced for a given heart rate can give you a good idea of overall fitness/fatigue.

Last edited by justonwo; 05-07-20 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 05-07-20, 01:03 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​For the sake of clarity, someone needs to point this out. I'm not about to say anything anyone doesn't know, just maybe solidify the concept.

A power meter measures work done. (1 watt = 1 Joule per second.)

This active/total breakdown doesn't exist for power meters. If you stayed on the couch, it would read zero. You're still burning your BMR on top of what the PM says.

A power meter doesn't "see" effort like keeping the bike upright, but there's very little effort involved there, the bike "wants" to remain in balance. Thousands of independent studies have demonstrated that a PM is the most reliable way to "measure" calorie use outside a metabolic ward. When you run there's a lot of opportunity to waste energy, it's called "running economy." But we don't have that. You spend 99% of a ride seated. Your feet are clipped to pedals turning the exact same circle every time. There's no vertical oscillation with each step, there's no tradeoff between flight time and stride length, etc. You can waste energy by sitting upright or using brakes that rub, but a PM will see the result of things like that because it measures work done overcoming all opposing forces.
Originally Posted by justonwo
1:15:39 hh:mm:ss @ 116 W is 526,524 Joules delivered to the power meter. Strava estimates 501 kcal consumed by your body, or 2,143,000 Joules. This yields an efficiency of 24.5%, which is right in the normal wheelhouse. I think Strava is giving you a very active number for calories burned, within the limits of what is reasonable/feasible.
Thanks! This is good info (although a bit disappointing to an ex-runner
I was actually looking for a better way to keep track of my progress (I used to use miles ridden when I was riding the same route outside without a PM). Now I think I'll use total Joules.
Old 05-07-20, 01:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use a lot of things to judge how I'm doing. Quick and easy is how much power I put out over various time frames. I can make big numbers for 10 seconds, that's what my genetics gave me, so I want to improve my 60+ minute power. Most of the riding I do is in the city, so I can't go as hard as I can for an hour, but I have routes that let me go all out for 20 minutes. So my best 20 minutes power winds up being a pretty good way to make a graph of my bike fitness.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: