Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Riding a bike indoors?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Riding a bike indoors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 06:20 AM
venomx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Riding a bike indoors?

Got a btwin hybrid bike and with the corona virus nonsense we may not be able to go out soon.

I heard of turbo trainers for hooking your bike up indoors but they're all out of stock and they all require you to change the quick release to one supplied which I don't feel comfortable with

Any suggestions?

Old 03-23-20, 06:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by venomx
I heard of turbo trainers for hooking your bike up indoors but they're all out of stock and they all require you to change the quick release to one supplied which I don't feel comfortable with

Any suggestions?​
Yes, find a resistance trainer that uses your bike and change the rear quick release for the (probably stronger) one provided. There is no reason not to use it. I assume you know how to use a quick release properly.

These things are dreadfully boring but are better than doing nothing.

Edit: I just checked on Amazon and they have numerous suitable trainers in stock from $50 on up delivered right to your door.

Last edited by HillRider; 03-23-20 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-23-20, 06:45 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Can't find any for under £200 on amazon uk

What should I be searching for? Some call them "turbo trainers"
Old 03-23-20, 06:51 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
The answer to the OP question is a question in itself: "how much money do you want to spend, how willing are you to do a few very simple mechanical tasks and do you want to make the indoor experience interesting or sheer drudgery?" Also it depends on what your goals for indoor training are. Do you just want to spin for 10 minutes per day, do you want to train for a century or something in between?

If you are afraid and/or unwilling to change the rear wheel skewer then you are probably not going to get very far in your quest to do indoor training with your bicycle. I don't mean to be harsh just truthful. While I'm not the center of all things bicycle, far from it, I know a few things and can say that in the past 20 weeks I have logged in 2250 indoor miles. To avoid boredom I personally use Zwift, which is an on-line virtual service that connects to many (but not all) generic trainers. I did this on a budget of less than $150 (used craigslist fluid trainer plus other stuff ) in addition to the $15 month subscription. I think I can say truthfully that I'm a far better conditioned rider as we head into this years outdoor season than what I was at the end of last season.

Take everything I say as you would with anything that is free...

Last edited by Thomas15; 03-23-20 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 06:55 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Here is a suggestion, search youtube vids for budget bicycle trainer suggestions. There are tons of youtubes on trainers.
Old 03-23-20, 07:01 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm in the UK BTW.

Amazon. Halfords and wiggle are all out of stock

Id be willing to pay up to £200 if we do go into full lock down
Old 03-23-20, 07:09 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

I'm in the UK BTW.

Amazon. Halfords and wiggle are all out of stock

Id be willing to pay up to £200 if we do go into full lock down

What you are looking for is called a "wheel on trainer". You mount the bike on the trainer and the rear wheel is pressed against a roller that is connected to something that creates the resistance. There are some that use fans to create resistance, some that use magnetic resistance and some that use oil in a chamber to create resistance. There are prolly other ways, some sort of friction device but those three are the most common for in home use. There are more expensive "smart trainers" that are direct drive that still use your regular bicycle but those are expensive.

I know nothing about this but here is an idea in your price range: https://www.amazon.com/Alpcour-Fluid.../dp/B07PYHJ582

I am not making any kind of recommendation just offering some suggestions. When I first considered indoor trainers I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money either. But now that I'm in it I see where you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Thomas15; 03-23-20 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 07:20 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Can't find any for under £200 on amazon uk

What should I be searching for? Some call them "turbo trainers"
Well, your profile didn't say where you are located so I just used Amazon's USA listings.

I searched "Indoor Bike Trainers" and found several below that price point that would be adequate for occasional use. Good trainers suitable for routine or rigorous indoor training programs are, of course, much more expensive.
Old 03-23-20, 07:38 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Turbo trainer is generally a trainer that uses a fan of some kind to create the resistance. This type of trainer is noisy. For that matter, a knobby mountain bike tire is going to add to the din. So that is why I think a fluid trainer is a good choice and using a tire specific to wheel on trainers is also a very good idea. Even with all this there is noise but not too bad. You might think it's an indoor trainer but especally if you live in an apartment of have other people under your roof you will find a wind trainer to be uncomfortably noisy. So in short this is not really something you can make a snap decision on.
Old 03-23-20, 07:42 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
In the U.S., we have several stores such as "Play It Again" that sell used sports equipment, like treadmills, golf clubs, etc. If you have similar stores in your area, maybe find one there?
Old 03-23-20, 09:19 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
There's no good reason not to ride your bike outdoors, as long as you keep an appropriate distance from other people. The virus is spread person-to person, not by the breeze.
Wiping the contact points of your bike with anti-viral wipes wouldn't hurt, and of course frequent hand washing is a good thing.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 03-23-20, 09:38 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
There's no good reason not to ride your bike outdoors, as long as you keep an appropriate distance from other people. The virus is spread person-to person, not by the breeze.
Wiping the contact points of your bike with anti-viral wipes wouldn't hurt, and of course frequent hand washing is a good thing.
Thanks dude but the way things are going we could end up with a lock down like Italy Spain and France
Likes For venomx:
Old 03-23-20, 02:01 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Thanks dude but the way things are going we could end up with a lock down like Italy Spain and France
We're under a "stay at home" order here in Illinois, but going out for food, medical care or other essentials is allowed, as is outdoor activity *with* social distancing. There's no logical reason for preventing solitary outdoor activity because that's not how this disease is spread. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I'm a dentist at a state dental school, and we're treating emergencies only. I only *wish* the risks at work were as low as they are on a bike ride!
Old 03-23-20, 02:56 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I agree with everyone suggestions above. Using a turbo trainer, possibly getting a subscription to Zwift or Rouvy.
Personally, because my first magnetic trainer was a little loud, I just hooked up a laptop nearby with noise cancelling earbuds. I'd watch indoor cycling videos on youtube, or netflix stuff to pass the time by. Also keep a fan blowing on you nearby and a towel handy. You'll sweat a ton.

For my road bikes. I've since switched to rollers. Though the time goes by faster on rollers, they require more focus and I have trouble with youtube/netflix. I just use earbuds and my phone as an MP3 player. But that is another option you can explore, though I'd recommend a turbo trainer over rollers if you looking for a temp solution. Also, rollers don't require you to remove or swap out anything. Though you might want to use slick tires if you do go this option. .
Old 03-23-20, 03:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
For my road bikes. I've since switched to rollers. Though the time goes by faster on rollers, they require more focus and I have trouble with youtube/netflix..
Watching car chase scenes while riding rollers can be very tricky, especially in the corners
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-23-20, 05:20 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
What you are looking for is called a "wheel on trainer". You mount the bike on the trainer and the rear wheel is pressed against a roller that is connected to something that creates the resistance. There are some that use fans to create resistance, some that use magnetic resistance and some that use oil in a chamber to create resistance. There are prolly other ways, some sort of friction device but those three are the most common for in home use. There are more expensive "smart trainers" that are direct drive that still use your regular bicycle but those are expensive.

I know nothing about this but here is an idea in your price range: https://www.amazon.com/Alpcour-Fluid.../dp/B07PYHJ582

I am not making any kind of recommendation just offering some suggestions. When I first considered indoor trainers I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money either. But now that I'm in it I see where you get what you pay for.
I have one similar to that,. It clamps over my existing skewer, although there may be some skewers that don't fit in the clamp.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-23-20, 06:01 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The reason for using a different QR skewer is the one supplied with a trainer should be a steel one, while many bikes (especially higher end ones) may have an aluminum one or, heaven forbid, a Ti skewer. If you already have a steel one then it should be fine to use on any trainer.

ZWIFTERS: BE SURE TO USE A STEEL QR SKEWER
Old 03-23-20, 06:33 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Old 03-24-20, 08:34 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
As for the technical knowledge needed to do this, my son came by to take the fluid trainer that I offered to him a while ago when I got my smart trainer. I gave him the recommended skewer to use also. He FaceTimed me today because he couldn't get the wheel to stay centered. When he showed me what he had done it was obvious, he tried screwing the skewer onto the frame, but didn't use the quick release, just screwed it as tight as he could, which of course isn't very tight. Even though he took off the old skewer he didn't think that the new one would work the same way. I walked him through loosening the skewer, centering the wheel, and using the cam to tighten it just right. Then it all worked. My point here is never to assume basic knowledge even with someone you know.
Old 03-25-20, 03:33 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Three options: rear wheel trainer (turbo, etc.) or rollers. Rollers are pretty darn rare these days, but the are cool because they simulate riding. Hard to ride for the novice. Challenging for the experienced peloton rider too. Or an indoor bike, like Peloton. $$$

But if you do ride indoors, two suggestions:

1) Get a fan. You never realize how much evaporative cooling you enjoy on the bike until you ride indoors! A fan will provide relief.
2) Sweat is BRUTAL to your bike! Even with the fan above, you're gonna sweat. Sweat is salty. Salty water LOVES to corrode bike parts. They sell "sweat shields" for bikes, but you can make one out of an old pair of pants. Just cut off one pant leg and use the rest. Waist side to cover the handlebars or handlebar/stem/headset area, pant leg to cover the top tube, attach below saddle. Or just drape over the top tube and cover the stem.

Even if you do this, you may want to wipe down the bike to remove any that got past your cover. Some people have VERY corrosive sweat!

Or spend a billion bucks on a Peloton bike and ride with the stars!!!
Old 03-25-20, 04:06 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
2) Sweat is BRUTAL to your bike! Even with the fan above, you're gonna sweat. Sweat is salty. Salty water LOVES to corrode bike parts. They sell "sweat shields" for bikes, but you can make one out of an old pair of pants. Just cut off one pant leg and use the rest. Waist side to cover the handlebars or handlebar/stem/headset area, pant leg to cover the top tube, attach below saddle. Or just drape over the top tube and cover the stem.

Even if you do this, you may want to wipe down the bike to remove any that got past your cover. Some people have VERY corrosive sweat!

Or spend a billion bucks on a Peloton bike and ride with the stars!!!

I’ll add 2.A, get a sweat band for your head, cuts down on swear dripping into your eyes by a lot. I use an old beach towel to cover the front of the bike. I just wipe down the frame when I’m done and not worry about.

You don’t have to buy a Peloton bike, you can send much much more than that on a Tacx or Wahoo bike and they don’t even have classes led by a beautiful looking young person to watch. I even heard that some companies are selling indoor cycling clothes. If money is burning a hole in your pocket you now really can spend a small fortune on indoor training.
Old 03-26-20, 03:03 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Cheap set of rollers and a folded up towel under one of the rear drums. Fold as necessary to create more or less resistance. The hardest part about indoor training is actually doing it.