Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Hybrids?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Schwinn Hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 05:10 AM
jharmon203

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwinn Hybrids?

I have been deal hunting for a used hybrid. I have mostly been looking a giant, cannondale, raleigh, trek, specialized, diamondback. I see Schwinn's come up from time to time and wonder if there is much parity with the other brands.
Old 05-04-20, 05:33 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The biggest differences between most of the bike brands available today are, in my humble opinion, the retail and service experience you get (bike shop vs. big box store, for instance), and fit/color/style differences between brands. For the most part, all bikes are using similar components in a given price range and bike frames are even made in only a few factories under contract to big brands in Taiwan and China. Because bikes are commodity items, the most important things to consider are warranty and service after the sale (if that's important to you; it may not be) and personal fit on the bike. If your a DIYer and service the bike yourself, you might get a lot of value out of a big box situation because you can do some the needed tweaks yourself.

You said you're buying used, and the biggest factor for used bikes is condition and maintenance. A new Trek can fall apart quickly if left outside under the deck. And a Schwinn can last for many, many years if cared for properly. The reverse is true also, of course.

Note that Giant, Trek, and Specialized are their own brands. Raleigh and Diamondback are both owned by Regent, LP. Cannondale is owned by Dorel, who also own GT, Mongoose, and Schwinn. It doesn't mean that Diamondbacks are the same as Raleighs, just with a different paint color, or that GTs, Cannondales, and Schwinns are all the same bike. But it demonstrates that the brand name doesn't necessarily mean as much today, when private equity companies buy and sell brand names, as it may have in the past, when each brand made their own stuff in their own factories.
Old 05-04-20, 05:40 AM
jharmon203

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent points and some fantastic information. Thank you very much for your time.
Old 05-06-20, 10:17 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I have 2 hybrids, a 1998 Scwhinn Searcher GS, it weighs 30 pounds. It was a low end bike store bike in 98. I bought for my wife, she didn't ride it much, and my daughter took to it a few years ago, but now rides a 98 Schwinn Passage road bike. I also have a 2002 Marin San Rafael hybrid. It's also 30 pounds, but has a heavy suspension fork. I bought it used, unridable, and it isn't likely to be useful for what I wanted it for. But, I will prep it to ride all the same. I originally thought it ould be good for a gravel bike, but I can't fit bigger than a 700x40. I will prep it for trailer and tag along bike to leave at my son's house, to pull my youngest grandkids...

1998 Schwinn Searcher GS.