Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trying cycling for the first time (IM NEW TO THIS) - Marin?!??!?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-19-20, 01:58 PM
mister704

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for coming and helping me out here. So I have been back and forth for days/weeks trying to find the proper bike that I wanted. I wanted to stay under $1000, have some good gearing for uphill pulls and some good brakes for downhill stops and etc.

Key bike choices included:

1. Trek Dual Sport 3
2. Trek FX 3
3. Cannondale Quick CX
4. Specialized Sirrus 3.0
5. Marin Fairfax 3

So originally, I figured the extra suspension would be a good option for riding which I may or may not hit some gravel and simple trails. But after attempting to find all of the Dual Sport type bikes and ALL were sold out locally and hard to find online, I let it go. Every Trek here in the area were out and they didn't have the FX in yet so I was stuck. I like the Special Sirrus, but its already 2 guys with them, and I figured I would be different. So...after all the searching, I just grabbed a Marin Fairfax 3 for $845 shipped.

Hopefully, you all can tell me if I made a good decision. The only other option I had close to me was a bike shop Raleigh Route 2.0. It appears the Trek has more speed gearing options which I hoped for but I am still trying to do my research to understand more on the gearing and etc.

So anyone owns a Merlin and can share their thoughts??
Old 05-19-20, 02:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Fit and rider comfort are your highest priorities, at least in my humble opinion. A bike's spec level, or components included, or financial value don't matter much if you don't like to ride it. So finding a size and fit that you like are key. I hope the Fairfax you bought does fit well and you enjoy it.

As far as the bike goes, it's a fine bike. Very typical for its price point, it has an aluminum frame, carbon fork, a 2x "road" drivetrain, and hydraulic brakes. The drivetrain is an interesting mix of Microshift (front der), Shimano (rear der), KMC (chain), Sunrace (cassette), and Marin house brand (crank). I'm sure all of this works well together. Bike components, and bikes themselves, really, are commodity items -- everything is pretty similar in terms of function and durability, given a specific price point, and you're not going to find a real "bad apple".

Congratulations on your new bike. I hope you have many happy miles with it.
Old 05-19-20, 02:23 PM
mister704

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Fit and rider comfort are your highest priorities, at least in my humble opinion. A bike's spec level, or components included, or financial value don't matter much if you don't like to ride it. So finding a size and fit that you like are key. I hope the Fairfax you bought does fit well and you enjoy it.

As far as the bike goes, it's a fine bike. Very typical for its price point, it has an aluminum frame, carbon fork, a 2x "road" drivetrain, and hydraulic brakes. The drivetrain is an interesting mix of Microshift (front der), Shimano (rear der), KMC (chain), Sunrace (cassette), and Marin house brand (crank). I'm sure all of this works well together. Bike components, and bikes themselves, really, are commodity items -- everything is pretty similar in terms of function and durability, given a specific price point, and you're not going to find a real "bad apple".

Congratulations on your new bike. I hope you have many happy miles with it.
I appreciate the kind words. Yea I made sure to go properly to my height and etc. Now to get a helmet and I should be all set. Hopefully, it actually ships and doesn't come back saying its out of stock so fingers crossed on that one.
Likes For mister704:
Old 05-19-20, 03:01 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
You had several good choices. If available, I think you'll end up with a very good bike at a good price.
Old 05-20-20, 02:52 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by mister704
Hello All,

So anyone owns a Merlin and can share their thoughts??
I have riden Marin MTBs in the 90s, own one new Marin bike ('13 Muirwoods,) and I have worked in a shop selling the brand.

Marin is a smaller brand that started with mountain bikes in 86. As other smaller brands, they offer honest products devoid of marketing and race team costs at competitive prices. They still make mostly mountain bikes.

In the UK, there is a special extra fondness for vintage Marins

Old 05-20-20, 02:58 PM
mister704

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I have riden Marin MTBs in the 90s, own one new Marin bike ('13 Muirwoods,) and I have worked in a shop selling the brand.

Marin is a smaller brand that started with mountain bikes in 86. As other smaller brands, they offer honest products devoid of marketing and race team costs at competitive prices. They still make mostly mountain bikes.

In the UK, there is a special extra fondness for vintage Marins
Thanks for the info. I'm happy with my purchase and now I await its arrival and my Giro MIPS helmet.
Old 05-20-20, 05:39 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Congrats on the new Marlin!

I bought a BNIB Marlin Muirwoods back in 1995. Even tho I had a few bikes (back then) the Marlin was my favourite. I rode it everywhere and the steel frame was so smooth. I enjoyed it the most in the city running Specialized slicks.
I handed the bike down to my son last summer when I bought a "modern Hybrid". He could not believe a bike that was older than himself rode so well! He mentioned that I shouldn't expect to ever getting it back.

I still kinda miss it to this day.....