Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 08:14 PM
marxmini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ninox
I had some problems with the capreo shifting which is why I modified my Birdy. The follow up will be described in the Birdy Modifications Problem thread posted here. I spent a fair amount of time monitoring my gearing used while riding the Birdy and then used Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to work out what I wanted. It hasn't been entirely feasible but the bottom line is that my new group set shifts so much better than the capreo ever did, especially when trying to find an easier gear. But the capreo is fabulous in its way, a compact solution to providing decent gain ratios for small wheeled bikes and I would really like Shimano to continue to develop it with ultegra level components and 10 or 11 speed system.
i will try to put more kms on the capreo and see if further adjustments on the RD can fix the shifting problem. if not, i will most likely change to a 105 (never had problems on my other bikes) or ultegra (first time to use if ever).

yes, you are right about the capreo. it is perfect for small wheeled bikes like the birdy. the ratios are just right for the birdy.
Old 05-02-14, 08:17 PM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebirdy
A Birdy with niggly little design faults! I can't believe that!
but really even though Ive been so aggravated by the little things that need changing on my Birdy blue (old style) I would buy another without hesitation! I Love the damn thing, Its so comfortable, fast, quirky and does Everything I could ask of it except fold without damaging itself!

trekking bars/ home made rack/ polycarbonate guide

pics added of some of the changes I have made so far!
i already injured my bike when folding. i guess that's how it is.
Old 05-02-14, 11:19 PM
bluebirdy

Bikes: blue birdy, 26"wheel british eagle touring bike, 20" humber, 26"/20" butchers bike, prophete mens city bike, marinoni 80s race bike, dragster, strider, raleigh 16, front half of mtb tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I covered mine in rhino skin vinyl but the sharp edges of the stem and other bits and pieces chew through it in no time! Its dissapointing, my wife's giant halfway clips safely together and hasn't gotten a scratch! With the trekking bars on I can position the seat to bump up against bars, stopping any further damage.
Old 05-03-14, 12:22 AM
ninox

Bikes: Spec AWOL comp 2014, Birdy Anthracite, A focus egravel bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birdy Multi-S suspension

Originally Posted by jur
I think you did well with the multi-s, which does not reduce the amount of travel like the colour+ does. The only downside is the varying pitch spring. The ideal solution is to get a spring for your weight. The varying pitch version caters to a wide range of weights at the cost of reduced travel.

Regarding the bobbing, this is a very interesting question. I puzzled a long while where the energy might be going when you stand on the pedals. I worked out it actually goes back into pedalling. The effect of front suspension is to spread the bounce produced by the body going up and down over a pedal stroke. Some may be lost but I think most is recycled. Riders think it feels lossy but the reality is less loss than thought. If there is significant damping in the suspension, then some more is lost.
Here are some photos of the multi-S suspension if anyone is interested. Here is the front:

and here is the rear - several photos showing it taken apart and what it looks like put together. Basically I think this is an over-engineered polymer. Maybe I should try it again some time?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
multi-s 1.jpg (88.5 KB, 319 views)
multi-s 2.jpg (84.6 KB, 318 views)
multi-s 1 (1).jpg (42.5 KB, 313 views)
multi-s 2 (1).jpg (33.6 KB, 308 views)
multi-s 3 (1).jpg (41.6 KB, 309 views)
multi-s 4 (1).jpg (52.6 KB, 309 views)
Old 05-03-14, 12:30 AM
ninox

Bikes: Spec AWOL comp 2014, Birdy Anthracite, A focus egravel bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebirdy

trekking bars/ home made rack/ polycarbonate guide

pics added of some of the changes I have made so far!
Pretty impressed with your rack.

edit: this could be misinterpreted - it refers to bluebirdy's home made mod.

Last edited by ninox; 05-09-14 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding
Old 05-03-14, 01:05 AM
bluebirdy

Bikes: blue birdy, 26"wheel british eagle touring bike, 20" humber, 26"/20" butchers bike, prophete mens city bike, marinoni 80s race bike, dragster, strider, raleigh 16, front half of mtb tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I would have love to TIG weld it but no longer have access to one, of course it is based on the Birdy expedition rack idea but with the dimensions tweeked to provide a stable stand when folded, the bike rests on the stand and the rear guard stay once folded! The bamboo was taken off a new broom handle I bought for my workshop broom! The best bit was that it cost about $30 !
Old 05-07-14, 11:54 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Noticed a loose headset this AM on the way into work, just fixed it at lunchtime.

Upside-down headset design. Interesting... Hadn't really noticed it before. No safety tabs for the QR wheel -- nice.

Also, lubed my chain. Bike needs a wash.
Old 05-10-14, 11:24 AM
mconlonx

Finally installed the Sachs Dual Drive 3x7 wheel.

Shimano mtn shifters:

Here's the setup out back. No cable stop, so I drilled the singarm and filed a frame stop flat to bolt it on:

Close up of the cable stop. The wall of the swingarm wasn't thick enough to thread, so there's a nut on the inside:

I also swapped the stock cassette on the Dual Drive out for the stock cassette off the regular 7sp Birdy for more range. There's a bit of slack with the hub shift cable -- the Harris Cyclery website references a cable tensioner potentially available through Bike Friday, but unless the slack becomes an issue I probably won't even bother.

Nice to have the extra range.
Old 05-10-14, 05:08 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quick question.
What's the wide tyre options for a birdie.
I tend to fit 1.5 marathons, would anything wider fit?

Just added a used red birdie 8 speed to my stable, running like clockwork. :-)
Old 05-10-14, 09:28 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
mconlonx: that looks excellent!
Old 05-11-14, 04:52 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after more kilometers put on the birdy, and several adjustments, the capreo works perfectly now.
Attached Images
IMG_2932.jpg (94.1 KB, 354 views)
IMG_2934.jpg (98.8 KB, 348 views)
IMG_2935.jpg (83.7 KB, 339 views)
IMG_2933.jpg (92.1 KB, 341 views)
Old 05-11-14, 05:10 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by marxmini
after more kilometers put on the birdy, and several adjustments, the capreo works perfectly now.
Very sharp looking setup! In fact, did you ride those "more km" in a cleanroom or something?
Old 05-11-14, 05:28 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Very sharp looking setup! In fact, did you ride those "more km" in a cleanroom or something?
ha ha :-) the bike has around 100kms now. i did the first adjustment at 20km, then 60km, then 80km. it shifted perfectly after the third adjustment. it goes up and down gears 5-7 without a hitch. :-) i learned a lot from the discussion on the capreo here and i applied them to my own bike when necessary.
Old 05-11-14, 06:05 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am now considering the multi-s front suspension for my bike. most of the reviews are positive. :-)
Old 05-11-14, 10:26 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by jur
mconlonx: that looks excellent!
It was in my truck in the apt in town, about 1/4 mi away from the shop, so I backpacked parts in with me, swapped things out at work (slow day), and took a longer way home. Front shifting is reversed, which led to much hilarity on a short, steep hill...

I have yet to use it on my regular commute, but so far, love it. Totally overly impressed with my cable stop problem solving/kludge. I actually did notice the extra weight, hefting it around, but riding it on the streets, the extra weight was negligible, and the lower/higher gearing appreciated, more than makes up for any extra weight.

There's this one hill on the bus to office end of my commute where I wished for lower gears getting to the bus; wished for higher gears doing the reverse commute. No real big deal, could absolutely live with the stock 7sp gearing for what I'm using it for, but now I'll have better gearing at the extremes.

I believe Bruce Metras told me that he regularly only used the 3sp shifter for a majority of his travels with a Dual Drive system. And BTW, thanks for the Birdy and the Dual Drive setup, Bruce!

Motivation is change of location, my 6mi commute to the bus station will change to a 12 mi ride to the bus with the move from one town to a couple towns over. More, steeper hills involved. Co-worker (boss) at the shop, observing work going down on the bike, asked if I was going to ride this 12 mi, across the state border to do the bike bus bike commute -- "Well yeah, that's partly why I'm rigging this up now." Duh.

He and motorhead friend expressed incredulousness. He's about my height so I said, Take it for a ride... Not that he's running out to get a Birdy or a folder, but he was duly impressed with the handling and gearing on the bike, acknowledged that it might be OK-ish for the interstate commute.

No, it will rock.
Old 05-11-14, 12:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Finally installed the Sachs Dual Drive 3x7 wheel.

Shimano mtn shifters:

Here's the setup out back. No cable stop, so I drilled the singarm and filed a frame stop flat to bolt it on:

Close up of the cable stop. The wall of the swingarm wasn't thick enough to thread, so there's a nut on the inside:

I also swapped the stock cassette on the Dual Drive out for the stock cassette off the regular 7sp Birdy for more range. There's a bit of slack with the hub shift cable -- the Harris Cyclery website references a cable tensioner potentially available through Bike Friday, but unless the slack becomes an issue I probably won't even bother.

Nice to have the extra range.

You dont kick the IGH shift cable pedaling?
Old 05-11-14, 01:31 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by fietsbob
You dont kick the IGH shift cable pedaling?
Nope. Not even close. Size 42 shoes and I tend to have a heel-in gait. The second picture greatly exaggerates the angle out from the bike -- most of it is drop from the cable stop to the axle. If it was an issue, I would bolt a pulley to the rear of the swingarm.
Old 05-13-14, 12:13 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i must be crazy. i got myself another pre-owned birdy (japan version peugeot).

i am thinking of recreating the 10th anniversary birdy. drop bars. 20 inch wheels. capreo. 105. :-)

Last edited by marxmini; 05-13-14 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 11:58 AM
mconlonx

Don't do this mod. The cable stop runs into the chainring, or at least the plastic guard on the inside, and will not allow for a proper fold.

Back to the drawing board...
Old 05-13-14, 12:22 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Quick question.
What's the wide tyre options for a birdie.
I tend to fit 1.5 marathons, would anything wider fit?

Just added a used red birdie 8 speed to my stable, running like clockwork. :-)
I rode a Red Birdy with Big Apples. Can't tell you which width.
Old 05-16-14, 08:47 PM
simisimi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would be the first sets of upgrades for a stock birdy for performance? Road tires, sise? Chainrings?
Old 05-16-14, 10:56 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tyres. Fit kojaks,

Mconloux. Are you considering running the dualdrive through the chainstay now?
What set up is on the touring dualdrive birdie for this?
Old 05-17-14, 06:53 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simisimi
What would be the first sets of upgrades for a stock birdy for performance? Road tires, sise? Chainrings?
kojak tires. remove fenders (if you have them). later on you may want to upgrade the gear train, brakes, suspension.
Old 05-17-14, 07:38 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Don't do this mod. The cable stop runs into the chainring, or at least the plastic guard on the inside, and will not allow for a proper fold.

Back to the drawing board...
Don't know if this will help, but here are are a couple of pictures of my old Dual Drive Birdy.. I think you're halfway there!
Attached Images
Birdy Dual Drive.jpg (45.1 KB, 179 views)
Birdy Dual Drive Cable.jpg (26.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-17-14, 12:22 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by bhkyte
Mconloux. Are you considering running the dualdrive through the chainstay now?
What set up is on the touring dualdrive birdie for this?
D'oh! Yes, now considering ways to sneak it through the chainstay...

Originally Posted by BruceMetras
Don't know if this will help, but here are are a couple of pictures of my old Dual Drive Birdy.. I think you're halfway there!
Thanks Bruce, big help. Do you know --is there a cable stop up at the top of the stay, where the housing enters above the derailleur housing? Or is it full housing to the little nub out back where the cable comes out?

I'm currently scheming on a couple different ways to do this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.