Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

105 hy/rd to 105 hydro?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

105 hy/rd to 105 hydro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 09:09 AM
jedijon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
105 cable disc to 105 hydro conversion?

Hi internet team! Your thoughts on swapping out a set of 11 speed shifters and disc brakes for a hydraulic setup?

Why I ask. I have a 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3, and ride it frequently in the winter. Winter's coming. I couldn't use the rear brakes at all last winter because doing so would lock up the cable--I suspect water infiltration to the rear cable. It's down where the WET is...and pointed upwards.

Braking was OK in warm weather until recently. After pulling the lever now I'm getting a partial return--say half the cable pulled. So I clipped the endcap and pulled the cable. It was black for the last ~1/3rd of the cable length. SUPER HARD to pull out of the housing. Numerous hard black nodules along the cable length...which I buffed out with a light filing...and attempted to put back in the housing. No dice.

At this moment I'm looking at a cable replacement, and possibly a housing replacement.

And that for very low mileage. Sadness.

My thought was to put a v-brake boot [the rubber bit] on the cable where it enters the barrel adjuster/housing. MAYBE that reduces the water coming in. OR, two other options that are more drastic. 1) replace just the rear lever & brake with hydraulic. 2) both levers get changed, although the front one is causing no issues. In option 1, I get different hood profiles and suspect that's going to feel weird. In option 2, just more cost and more sadness about virtually new and really great brifters going off to eBay - or - I research how to swap over these shifters to an old 3x8 Sora set from the late 1990s [which gives me I think an incompatible hub, an unusable crank (and potentially incompatible bottom bracket...), along with the "duh" of needing a new cassette/chain--and I THINK the pull length is just fine...] for my other commuter, a Trek 1200.

Not 100% sure how to determine the compatibility of the cable routing. And do you fish it through the frame over an existing length of cable, then pull the cable and fill the system with fluid? Noob to hydro for sure!

Need to keep that road grit and water out of my brake system so I can ride < freezing temps and continue stopping as designed.

What would you do?

Last edited by jedijon; 12-01-20 at 11:38 AM.