Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

“You can’t out(ride) a bad diet”

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-08-20, 07:12 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

At the start of the year I made changes to my diet and constantly went back and forth with eating well and eating not so well. Six months later at the beginning of June I had somewhat of a health scare with my legs that pushed me to try and actually buckle down and get serious. A week later I went on my first mountain bike ride of the year..... and suffered 😭. I was ~360lbs then, but the following year when I was about 5-10lbs heavier I was able to do a few groups rides so I knew I could handle it (truth was I didn’t bring enough hydration 🤦‍♂️).

Took a break from riding trails on the mtb, but being more motivated to lose weight I put way more focus into my diet and took the exercise down a bit. Well I didn’t actually start fully till July. At the end of June I weighed in at 355lbs. My weight last week for my follow up doctors appointment I was at 342lbs, and right now I’m at around mid 330s. I decided to hop on my mountain bike to try it out again after a good 2 month hiatus (no real trail riding) and it felt like I was pedaling a completely different bike. For reference my MTB is 33lbs in its “trail” setup. So I nearly cut down 2/3rds of my bikes weight in my own body weight and it just felt so good being on the bike (also the suspension felt like it was finally supporting me).

I only wanted to make this post because I haven’t felt this much excitement in terms of riding my bike in quite a while. This is only the start of this transition for me but I will be continuing my dietary changes long term because I just feel so great at the moment, and I can’t wait to see how the future shapes out ✌🏾.
Old 08-09-20, 10:49 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
So easy to put calories of all kinds into your body. I'm fighting a battle with myself at this time to get my weight into the 235lb range. Lots of exercise will not negate a bad food choice. I've found that limiting calories is the only way I can lose weight. Exercising away calories is not a good policy. Exercise is imperative in my view but not for losing weight. Calorie counting and sticking to a calorie goal for every day is really the only way I've been able to lose weight. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling good about the changes in your weight and its effects on you. Good luck with meeting your weight goals.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 08-10-20, 06:46 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I agree 100%. A couple days ago I got on the scale and saw the largest number I've ever seen in my life. Even though I've ridden twice as much this year as I have in any previous year. My average ride distance for the year has gone up a lot. My average speed has increased almost 2 mph. But I'm still eating like crap. I need to change that.
Old 08-10-20, 06:41 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
you got this.

While I no longer hit the weight limits for this forum I often visit back here, been there done that. Congratulations on your efforts ,you should be proud, lord knows it's not easy. Keep up the effort. In the long run I tell myself it will be worth it. Hopefully you will feel the same, good luck in your journey, you seem to know where you are headed I hope you get there relatively easily.
Old 08-11-20, 07:09 AM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
The war on weight is won in the kitchen, not on the bike. I’m now down 58 lbs. since January. I subscribed to an app called “lose it”, and count every calorie that goes in me. I do take in extra calories that cycling/exercising allow me, but I do my best to make sure I’m running a calorie deficit. I’m getting faster, and going farther. I’m now 22 lbs. from goal weight.
Likes For TK LP:
Old 08-11-20, 01:00 PM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a lot of failure with calorie counting. Too often I would save my calories for something that I shouldn't have been eating in the first place.

Here is what finally worked for me: eliminating all processed foods. By processed, I mean processed. Not just frozen dinners. I mean brown rice instead of white rice.

If have lost ten pounds in a little over three weeks without even counting calories. The truth is that I feel more full after eating and I am not eating the empty calories, especially when snacking. I anticipate getting to the stage where I will count calories, but that will be much easier to do when I am eating good, filling foods.
Likes For VTBike:
Old 08-11-20, 01:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I actually disagree. You "could" outride bad eating habits and was one of my favorite aspects of riding loads of miles a week. It didn't outweigh needing your nutrients and such, but calories really didn't matter much.
The hard part was remembering NOT to eat like that when you weren't riding.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-11-20, 06:30 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by tallbikeman
So easy to put calories of all kinds into your body. I'm fighting a battle with myself at this time to get my weight into the 235lb range. Lots of exercise will not negate a bad food choice. I've found that limiting calories is the only way I can lose weight. Exercising away calories is not a good policy. Exercise is imperative in my view but not for losing weight. Calorie counting and sticking to a calorie goal for every day is really the only way I've been able to lose weight. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling good about the changes in your weight and its effects on you. Good luck with meeting your weight goals.
Originally Posted by TK LP
The war on weight is won in the kitchen, not on the bike. I’m now down 58 lbs. since January. I subscribed to an app called “lose it”, and count every calorie that goes in me. I do take in extra calories that cycling/exercising allow me, but I do my best to make sure I’m running a calorie deficit. I’m getting faster, and going farther. I’m now 22 lbs. from goal weight.
Originally Posted by VTBike
I had a lot of failure with calorie counting. Too often I would save my calories for something that I shouldn't have been eating in the first place.

Here is what finally worked for me: eliminating all processed foods. By processed, I mean processed. Not just frozen dinners. I mean brown rice instead of white rice.

If have lost ten pounds in a little over three weeks without even counting calories. The truth is that I feel more full after eating and I am not eating the empty calories, especially when snacking. I anticipate getting to the stage where I will count calories, but that will be much easier to do when I am eating good, filling foods.
So for those of you finding success with calorie counting, I'm glad it works for you! I will say though my personal strategy similar to VTBike involves mostly focusing on the "what" I'm eating and less on the calorie count. My diet basically consists of food low in refined grains & sugars & whole foods that are filling & have the nutrients I need. I've also implemented time restrictions and have found that I have reduced hunger to the point where I'm unintentionally eating a calorie deficit anyway. Key thing is knowing that there isn't a one-size fits all solution and experimenting with different strategies.

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I actually disagree. You "could" outride bad eating habits and was one of my favorite aspects of riding loads of miles a week. It didn't outweigh needing your nutrients and such, but calories really didn't matter much.
The hard part was remembering NOT to eat like that when you weren't riding.
"Calorie" wise yes, however calories like you said don't always match up to getting proper nutrition. Since I was more concerned with health, I definitely didn't want to keep putting junk into my body with the idea of "burning it". You "could" do that, but there still might be health complications later in life C:
Likes For DarKris:
Old 08-11-20, 09:58 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
VTbike I love my heavily processed food and it loves me, right around my middle. I agree with you on unprocessed food. There is more fiber, more nutrition, no added sugars, salt, and all the other fillers that do you no good. Also unprocessed food is generally much less calorie dense. I weigh every day and this helps keep my focus on weight reduction. Planning meals ahead is a big help whenever I can get myself to do it. Keep up the good work and keep riding.
Old 08-12-20, 10:18 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
I agree with this, at least as far as my own experience goes. I give the changes to my diet and other eating habits more credit for what's happening for me on my journey to a smaller me. Don't get me wrong, the biking is a big part as well, but I had a reasonably active routine before (average 8k steps a day at work) and put on weight.

Eric
Old 09-03-20, 01:26 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
It is all about a lifestyle change. I personally don't like temporary radical diets. They tend to letting you fall back into old habits. It needs to be something you can and WANT to sustain long term. My Achilles heel has always been beer... lol... Now with some stomach issues I have to cut down alcohol...
But besides this issue I also changed to a more healthy diet. The whole pandemic has actually helped me a bit. No going out for dinner or junk food. We mainly stay home and cook at home. Lots of fresh veggies, salads and fruits. Good thing is that I love veggies and fruits.
And then there is cycling. Yes I don't commute right now but I still ride almost every morning instead. In addition I use my bike for lots of other errands.
Need to get groceries? - Take the bike. I just built me a cargo bike for just that purpose. Went to Sprouts this morning and loaded up on fresh fruits.
Need to see the doc? - Take the bike.
Need to get to the hardware store for small stuff? - Take the bike
Plus all that saves money too.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 09-05-20, 08:57 AM
Ridetolive707

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix , 2018 Custom Build Single Speed 29” Mountain Bike, 2003 Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I went plant based and it’s going well

I have tried several diets in the past and had varying results. To make a long story short, two months ago my dad had a heart attack at 67 and has been in and out of the hospital since then. It scared and motivated me to get back on my bike and to drastically change my diet. I hate to use to word Vegan, because I feel it comes with some stigma that I’m not looking for. I’m choosing to eat 100 percent plant based for health reasons. I was 257 lbs at 6’2 on July 21st , I’m down to 244 as of this morning. I’m not in a rush to lose the weight. It took me many years to gain it. My energy level is through the roof, my cholesterol is down, by blood pressure is low, and my resting heart rate is now in the 50’s . I’m 46 years old. I have been riding 5-6 days a week. Mostly short rides 12 miles or under , but I’m working my way up to 30-35 miles at a time.
Old 09-05-20, 07:16 PM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridetolive707
I hate to use to word Vegan, because I feel it comes with some stigma that I’m not looking for. I’m choosing to eat 100 percent plant based for health reasons.
I know exactly what you mean. In December 2018 I decided to make a diet change, I was 46 years old and pushing 340lbs at the time. I'd seen both Penn Jillette and Kevin Smith made a big change with a vegan/plant based diet and decided to go the same route that they did (although Smith later changed to a different diet than the one I did) with the diet that a guy named Ray Cronise came up with. As of February of this year I was down to 224lbs and felt better than I have my entire adult life. I started a workout routine at the end of February (first an elliptical trainer and now a combination of elliptical, weight lifting and riding) so I increased my caloric intake and have been adding muscle so I've added a little weight since then. Telling people I was vegan often got me weird reactions from people thinking they were going to get preached to so I found myself making the joke that I was a "non-ethical vegan." I'm 99.9% plant based (using a lot of recipes from Dr. Joel Fuhrman) with the occasional "rare and appropriate" day where I eat whatever. It really was a complete lifestyle change for me, but I couldn't be happier than I did it.
Old 09-05-20, 07:47 PM
DarKris

I too dislike the idea of going by the “diet” name as people tend to have negative connotations when you say “x” diet. I much prefer referring to the foods that I’m eating at the time. Which ironically for me isn’t vegan 🤭
Old 09-13-20, 09:10 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I discovered I could ride a 1,000 miles a month and gain weight while doing so. So no, you can't out-ride a bad diet.
I've actually reduced my riding some, but have been doing WeightWatchers for 2 or 3 years now.
The struggle continues.
Old 09-17-20, 01:17 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I actually disagree. You "could" outride bad eating habits and was one of my favorite aspects of riding loads of miles a week. It didn't outweigh needing your nutrients and such, but calories really didn't matter much..
You'll find that gets increasingly impossible to do as you age.

What is needed is not so much a diet but a lifestyle change.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 09-17-20, 03:42 PM
Ridetolive707

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix , 2018 Custom Build Single Speed 29” Mountain Bike, 2003 Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You'll find that gets increasingly impossible to do as you age.

What is needed is not so much a diet but a lifestyle change.
I agree. When I was in my twenties and maybe even thirties I could get away with eating junk and still not gaining. Now at 46 I’m finishing even if I ride 5 days a week I still have to watch what I eat.

Now I’m not Riding loads of mile. Due to some time constraints most of my rides during the week are limited to how far I can ride in an hour (which currently for me is about 15 miles) I do have a friend who is my same age and is able to ride 250-300 miles weekly and he in great shape. He seems to eat whatever he wants when we do go out for meals but I’m pretty sure he eats very health most of the time.
Old 11-07-20, 07:34 PM
pbechard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tim for me to get serious on this front too. Will make such a difference on the bike.
Old 11-18-20, 10:49 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
At the start of the year I made changes to my diet and constantly went back and forth with eating well and eating not so well. Six months later at the beginning of June I had somewhat of a health scare with my legs that pushed me to try and actually buckle down and get serious. A week later I went on my first mountain bike ride of the year..... and suffered 😭. I was ~360lbs then, but the following year when I was about 5-10lbs heavier I was able to do a few groups rides so I knew I could handle it (truth was I didn’t bring enough hydration 🤦‍♂️).

Took a break from riding trails on the mtb, but being more motivated to lose weight I put way more focus into my diet and took the exercise down a bit. Well I didn’t actually start fully till July. At the end of June I weighed in at 355lbs. My weight last week for my follow up doctors appointment I was at 342lbs, and right now I’m at around mid 330s. I decided to hop on my mountain bike to try it out again after a good 2 month hiatus (no real trail riding) and it felt like I was pedaling a completely different bike. For reference my MTB is 33lbs in its “trail” setup. So I nearly cut down 2/3rds of my bikes weight in my own body weight and it just felt so good being on the bike (also the suspension felt like it was finally supporting me).

I only wanted to make this post because I haven’t felt this much excitement in terms of riding my bike in quite a while. This is only the start of this transition for me but I will be continuing my dietary changes long term because I just feel so great at the moment, and I can’t wait to see how the future shapes out ✌🏾.
Brilliant buddy. Enjoyed reading your post.

I myself have struggled with weight. I currently weigh in at 310lbs. 4 years ago I took up cycling, on the road, not a MTB. I was around 290lbs at the time. I got a few weird looks with me dressed in lycra . Along with a healthy diet and regular cycling. Starting off with doing 3 miles, I ended up doing a century! At that point I had dropped to 250lbs over a couple of years. I felt fantastic! Although still a bit heavy, my fitness was beyond anything I have had.

Last winter I came off my bike and had a bad fall and dmaged my left knee. I didnt cycle over the winter....and now a year later, I have struggled to get back in the saddle, despite numerous attempts. My weight is now back up to 300lbs. fitness is gone.

But reading your post, inspired me. Im going to change my diet. Get a grip on my life.

Good luck buddy!!!!
Likes For Gerry221:
Old 11-19-20, 01:10 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Great job to those of you losing weight and sticking with it.

You can lose a ton of weight without exercising at all. It's a good idea to have some form of movement but you can easily lose much of your weight through eating less and eating healthier.

The more I ride the more I eat. I'm still working on the balance.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 11-20-20, 08:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The only way you're ever going to outride a bad diet is if you're riding nearly 100 miles every day. If you're burning 6,000 calories a day it's not going to hurt to eat 6,000 calories a day. But most people outside of Olympic athletes in training burn that much.

It's true that you can lose weight without exercising, too. I haven't been on my bike much in the past two weeks, but I've lost 10 lbs just from changing my diet. As they say, diet to lose weight, exercise to maintain health.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 12-04-20, 08:47 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Loosing weight requires eating less than you want to. That is almost always the case, regardless of exercise.
Exercise does have all sorts of benefits and it also helps in loosing weight and keeping it off, just not in the direct way as in every 3500 kcal burned exercising meaning you will loose a pound of fat.
Old 12-09-20, 11:30 AM
xenabr549

Bikes: Brand new 2021 Trek FX 1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I used the same comment when I was a runner, you cannot out run a bad diet.. Very true..