Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pants for commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Pants for commuting

Old 12-18-20, 10:02 AM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pants for commuting

For those of you who don't change clothes after your ride to work, what brand of pants do you like? I don't commute because there is a railroad overpass and no shoulders on the road and a blind curve, a recipe for disaster all in one place. I do like to ride at lunch and changing clothes cuts off the ride time. I keep a bike in my office. We're pretty casual here but we only wear jeans on Fridays. I'd be riding no more than five miles in a business district or in a suburban neighborhood nearby.

I've been wearing Lee Tri-Flex slacks most days but I haven't tried to ride in them. Any other brands you all like and can recommend?
Thanks
Old 12-19-20, 12:29 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I wear synthetic hiking pants, including one pair with zip-off legs. They actually seem to last longer than jeans, and are not permanently stained by bike chain and brake crud.

My workplace has a dress code, but it has its ups and downs in terms of enforcement. Every couple of years, it gets enforced for a few weeks if some manager gets excited about it, or if people are really getting sloppy.
Old 12-19-20, 07:25 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Personally, I would not tolerate any bike that dictated my clothing. The bike exists to make short distance travel as convenient as possible. I ride a European commuting bike with B67 Brooks saddle, fenders, normal upright geometry, and a chainguard. I think that is a better route for me than trying to find special pants to wear on what is essentially a sports and recreation device.
Old 12-19-20, 08:14 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Personally, I would not tolerate any bike that dictated my clothing. The bike exists to make short distance travel as convenient as possible. I ride a European commuting bike with B67 Brooks saddle, fenders, normal upright geometry, and a chainguard. I think that is a better route for me than trying to find special pants to wear on what is essentially a sports and recreation device.
Likewise here. My commuting bike is exactly as you describe, albeit with parts sourced from various continents, and a plastic saddle. What we're talking about is the clothing being dictated by the workplace rather than the bike.

But we Americans are an odd lot, we also ride bikes recreationally, over long distances, and so forth. So I have multiple bikes, all equipped differently. And I still wear any clothing on any of them. I actually don't own any cycling specific garb. Even in Europe, many cyclists bring out different gear for recreational rides.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 12-19-20 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 07:36 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I wear Van Heusen dress pants. But I also have a Dutch bike that doesn't require me to make changes to how I dress. I'm currently looking for over pants though since it has gotten to cold for just the pants.
Likes For exile:
Old 12-20-20, 10:54 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
While not bike-specific, I've found that Kuhl makes slimmer, technical pants with ventilation that seems durable and are presentable at work. In Texas I can only commute in pants in the middle of winter though. I have to wear shorts most of the year and change at work. Vuori makes some good pants too, again, not bike-specific, but they work well. A little pricey though.

For bike-oriented brands, check out Chrome and Swrve. There's always discount codes for them.
Old 12-20-20, 10:59 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My ride is a similar distance. I just wear the pants I would wear at work whether I rode, drove, or walked. I usually get my dress pants at Nordstrom Rack, but can’t recommend any specific brand. Although I do avoid wearing my really nice all wool slacks. They just don’t stand up to the saddle wear.

Last edited by caloso; 12-20-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-21-20, 10:31 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I change at work, but have worn zip-offs (and the same pants sans zippers) while commuting. This requires an ankle band to keep the pants out of the chain. Would sure like to find some that I don't have to use the ankle band.
Likes For timdow:
Old 12-22-20, 10:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
For a lunchtime ride of <5 miles, I would just wear whatever pants I happened to wear to work that day. Jeans (just not low-rise in back, unless you actually are a plumber), khakis, or even some decent-looking workman's pants -- I've got a couple pairs that are like Carhartts, but without the hammer loop...They are great for commuting and don't look too bad.

Since I commute to a professional-casual workplace, I have tried some of the special pants designed for cycle commuting -- Rapha, Prana, etc. None of 'em really do it for me. Lousy fit and the nylon material is just weird once I'm off the bike -- makes that "swoosh" sound when I walk.
Old 12-22-20, 07:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Same answer as last time. The Levi's 511 commuter jeans. Have not needed to shop in a few years but last time found them at Macy's. The labels had changed, they no longer had any bike branding. But they still had the stretchy fabric, reflective piping inside the cuff, reinforced crotch, the disguised u-lock holster. Same problem as ever with fit because the various colors are made of pretty different fabric. That was two or three years ago now. No idea if they are still around.

https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothi...ns/p/191510034
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothi...ns/p/191510059

Top-loading, not side-loading pockets are pretty important so stuff doesn't fall out, and if they're too big they flop around your hips. If you like getting stuff out of your rear pockets, it's nice if they don't have zippers or buttons. In other words, jeans not khakis.

They are cotton. I don't usually set out in the rain, though don't worry if there's some in the forecast. It's temperate here.

In past years in the winter I've worn snowboard pants over my jeans. It has not really gotten that cold here lately.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-23-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 08:04 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I've had a couple pair of Nikon Dri-Fit golf pants for about 10 years now. I've pedaled thousands of miles in them with no significant wear. I'm not sure if the same ones are available today but they're featherweight and very comfortable. They're expensive if purchased at a Nike store or website but I think I got them new on eBay for $35 each.