Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Trike turns into a wheelchair

Old 12-12-20, 05:27 PM
RonInBC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Trike turns into a wheelchair

Here's a bit different build. I posted it on the Bent Rider forum so I'll keep this post to a shorter version.

The women wanted a hand bike. She can't lift her feet off the ground. I said "trike", she said "bike". Quite adamantly.

I built a simple bike. She came to pick up and test out and not being able to get her feet up on the footrest while starting was a big negative. I winced when she smacked the pavement. She insisted she would practice. Took her 3 months to contact me and ask if I had any ideas to make it more stable. A trike was still off the table. She also mentioned that she'd like to find a way to take her w/c seat with her to work.

Perfect. I asked her if I could make a bike that would still let her go around corners on two wheels would she be OK with two rear wheels close together if it also meant that she could carry her w/c seat. She said OK.

So I built a short axle that would accommodate the quick release pins on her w/c wheels. Tried it out. Strange feeling the first time that I went to do a "U" turn. You deliberately have to throw it sideways a bit. Not a big deal, just something that feels strange the first few times you do it. Couple that with having to initiate the turn when the hand cranks are closest to you so that you're not reaching past the sprocket trying to turn and it does take a bit of practice. Not a big deal at all and I never at anytime came close to loosing my balance or having to put my foot down during a "U" turn.

So she was happy. Puts the w/c wheels on the not-a-trike , seat shell on the back, rides the bike lanes to work, converts to w/c and then back to the not-a-trike to ride home. She also said that she liked also being able to stop at the pub.

I asked her later how she was finding two wheeling it and she said it did just fine without two wheeling. I think that she just had a dislike of the idea of a trike. This isn't the first time that I've had to work around that situation.

Whatever works. She's happy, I'm happy.

Ron
Likes For RonInBC:
Old 12-12-20, 05:43 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Neat idea and build!
Old 12-22-20, 11:38 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Awesome build!
Old 12-23-20, 06:49 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
So the rear wheels of the bike are the chair wheels? Brilliant!
Old 12-23-20, 06:37 PM
RonInBC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yes, that what I did. Every once in awhile one of my bright ideas actually works.

In answer to you PM question Tom, this is something that I made. Most of the devices I and my group build are ones made specifically for an individual and are unlikely to be available commercially.

I should point out that this solution works in this case because the person is a high functioning paraplegic. Also, her physical parameters are ideal for using it. She is short, strong and a paraplegic athlete. She has no difficulty transitioning from one to the other even though it is a bit awkward. Many paraplegics could not use this solution. The person's abilities have to be accessed first.

Ron