Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Freer wheel ratchet that can lock????

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-21, 04:44 AM
Swarf

Bikes: One whole Raleigh mountin bike,and lots of other bit,parts,and left over cut offs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have searched all over for a free wheel ratchet that has the option of being set to a fixed position. Is such a thing available in the biking world.??
Old 01-05-21, 07:39 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Swarf
I have searched all over for a free wheel ratchet that has the option of being set to a fixed position. Is such a thing available in the biking world.??
Not that I'm aware of, but that's an interesting premise.

I did find this thread and it might be of interest to you.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ear-wheel.html

Last edited by TugaDude; 01-05-21 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-05-21, 11:04 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Its out of production but check out SRAM Torpedo Hub
Old 01-05-21, 11:14 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
if you did this with a standard freewheel, the freewheel would thread itself right off if you set it to a fixed position. this is why track hubs have lock rings.
Old 01-05-21, 11:20 AM
Swarf

Bikes: One whole Raleigh mountin bike,and lots of other bit,parts,and left over cut offs.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Its out of production but check out SRAM Torpedo Hub
Thanks Sam, That is a very interesting hub. I was thinking more of a separate unit that you could put anywhere in your gear train.
Perhaps i may have to incorporate a simple dog clutch.
Old 01-05-21, 11:29 AM
Swarf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
if you did this with a standard freewheel, the freewheel would thread itself right off if you set it to a fixed position. this is why track hubs have lock rings.
Yes, it would but only if you put reverse force on it .I tacked the thread as well knowing that I would only ever need that wheel with that sprocket. So it a permanent bodge up !!.
Old 01-05-21, 11:38 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Swarf
Yes, it would but only if you put reverse force on it .I tacked the thread as well knowing that I would only ever need that wheel with that sprocket. So it a permanent bodge up !!.
if you ride a fixed gear setup, reverse force is going to be put on it one way or another. if you pedal any slower than the speed at which the drivetrain is moving, it will put reverse force on the hub. there is no practical way to avoid putting any such force on the drivetrain on a fixed gear bike, which is how the "suicide hub" earned that name. you need a reverse-threaded locknut or a more permanent attachment to the hub like rotor bolts or a modified freehub (Surly Fixxer or by bodging it with sketchy spacers in the a freehub).
Old 01-05-21, 12:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
No advice here. I grew up being told about the durability of the old Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs. My dad and his friends rode all over New England during the Depression as crazy teens. Later I worked in a bike shop with a mechanic who was friends with Sheldon Brown. Sheldon would come over after hours and trade fix gear stories, often involving the S-A fix gear 3-speed hubs which they both had.

Many years later, I watched a friend start the rest of her life as a wheelchair bound person. She invited me to the Mount Wilson Observatory. We went up the ramp. Now, we'd known each other from childhood. She was the athlete, I was the klutz. She wouldn't let me push her anywhere despite her just being 10 days out of the hospital. I watched her struggle to get up the ramp to the telescope. 20' vertical. No landings. Standard wheelchair grade. Twice she stopped and held onto the rail. It then took everything she had to get rolling again.

I watched and thought - she's in too big a gear. I've ridden fix gear on real hills! That is exactly what I am looking at. But they made gears long ago. Geared hubs. Sturmey-Archers. Why couldn't a wheelchair have a geared hub? With more thought and more observation of how she used her chair to get around (including many transfers from chair to car and back), I realized that hub had to be 1) fix gear, 2) quick-release, 3) no more than 2 pounds and 4) reliable as the old Sturmey-Archer or a Willis Jeep because young, strong crazy men were going to take these hubs to places they could never get to before and failure would mean not being able to get out of the wilderness and dying.

Now, obviously the Sturmey-Archer isn't that hub and cannot be made to be. But it is made to the standards that hub would need. Now you want another evolution of some of these concepts - fixed to free and back! Cool! (And like me, you have to consider both how do you do it at the hub end and how/where do you put the shifter? Fun! Keep us posted!
Old 01-05-21, 12:29 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Really, all that is needed is a conventional spring loaded friction clutch that in normal released mode yields a direct drive for fixed gear mode. To obtain a freewheeling mode, a lever operated release cable would be actuated to disengage the clutch. The lever would require a lock to maintain it in the freewheel position, probably some sort of hook to keep it from slipping.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-05-21, 01:46 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
B.S.A. made the DP hub, a two-speed fixed/freewheel unit from the mid-30s until around WWII. It is apparently a very rare bit of kit. I first read about them in a vintage British cycling manual written right after the war, and it was apparently among the books I parted with. Still, someone should consider putting those back in production - they were allegedly smoother than the Sturmey Archer ASC and its modern descendants.
Old 01-05-21, 02:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Good read:

https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2014...sa-dp-hub.html
Old 01-06-21, 07:11 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
B.S.A. made the DP hub, a two-speed fixed/freewheel unit from the mid-30s until around WWII. It is apparently a very rare bit of kit. I first read about them in a vintage British cycling manual written right after the war, and it was apparently among the books I parted with. Still, someone should consider putting those back in production - they were allegedly smoother than the Sturmey Archer ASC and its modern descendants.

Seeing as how this discussion has veered into multi-speed fixed I just would like to add that I was foolish enough to spring for one of those S3X's from a few years ago and it was a nightmare. That is all. .
Old 01-06-21, 08:06 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
There have been wheels with a freewheel on one side and a fixed sprocket on the other. You can go from one to the other by turning the wheel around.
Old 01-06-21, 09:57 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No advice here. I grew up being told about the durability of the old Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs. My dad and his friends rode all over New England during the Depression as crazy teens. Later I worked in a bike shop with a mechanic who was friends with Sheldon Brown. Sheldon would come over after hours and trade fix gear stories, often involving the S-A fix gear 3-speed hubs which they both had.

Many years later, I watched a friend start the rest of her life as a wheelchair bound person. She invited me to the Mount Wilson Observatory. We went up the ramp. Now, we'd known each other from childhood. She was the athlete, I was the klutz. She wouldn't let me push her anywhere despite her just being 10 days out of the hospital. I watched her struggle to get up the ramp to the telescope. 20' vertical. No landings. Standard wheelchair grade. Twice she stopped and held onto the rail. It then took everything she had to get rolling again.

I watched and thought - she's in too big a gear. I've ridden fix gear on real hills! That is exactly what I am looking at. But they made gears long ago. Geared hubs. Sturmey-Archers. Why couldn't a wheelchair have a geared hub? With more thought and more observation of how she used her chair to get around (including many transfers from chair to car and back), I realized that hub had to be 1) fix gear, 2) quick-release, 3) no more than 2 pounds and 4) reliable as the old Sturmey-Archer or a Willis Jeep because young, strong crazy men were going to take these hubs to places they could never get to before and failure would mean not being able to get out of the wilderness and dying.

Now, obviously the Sturmey-Archer isn't that hub and cannot be made to be. But it is made to the standards that hub would need. Now you want another evolution of some of these concepts - fixed to free and back! Cool! (And like me, you have to consider both how do you do it at the hub end and how/where do you put the shifter? Fun! Keep us posted!
with a wheelchair there's no way to change the gear ratio except by changing the wheelsize. They're turning the wheel at the rim not at the hub. Now a hub that can be locked and unlocked to be able to stop and rest on a ramp would be an interesting idea. Because of the need to back up it can't just be a freewheel system, but some hybrid of it. Maybe a button at the axle that allows the pawls to engage/disengage.
Old 01-06-21, 10:35 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
with a wheelchair there's no way to change the gear ratio except by changing the wheelsize. They're turning the wheel at the rim not at the hub. Now a hub that can be locked and unlocked to be able to stop and rest on a ramp would be an interesting idea. Because of the need to back up it can't just be a freewheel system, but some hybrid of it. Maybe a button at the axle that allows the pawls to engage/disengage.
Actually running a gear ratio between the hand rim and wheel isn't hard. Instead of clipping the handwheel to the rim, run chainring-like spiders to the hub so the rim acts as a big cog. Incorporate internal gearing and its done. It'd be little different to operate. In a non 1:1 gear, the hand rim and wheel turn at different speeds.
Old 01-06-21, 11:23 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by alo
There have been wheels with a freewheel on one side and a fixed sprocket on the other. You can go from one to the other by turning the wheel around.
OP may be aware of this, but this is the simplest answer. I am not sure where a hub that can be suddenly switched from fixed to free would be useful. Obviously SRAM thought it was a good idea and either the market didn't agree, or it was poor execution of the design. anyone know enough about that hub? either way, it's not hard to flip the wheel around when you want to switch and it's unlikely that you'll have a fit over switching often enough for it to be not worth the hassle.
Old 01-06-21, 11:41 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Actually running a gear ratio between the hand rim and wheel isn't hard. Instead of clipping the handwheel to the rim, run chainring-like spiders to the hub so the rim acts as a big cog. Incorporate internal gearing and its done. It'd be little different to operate. In a non 1:1 gear, the hand rim and wheel turn at different speeds.
So you're thinking the wheels as the hubs, the hub being equivalent to the axle, the rim being the outer shell and the gearing running between them. That would be an interesting concept. With a clear outer covering to protect fingers from the plenary gears that could really look sweet to boot.
Old 01-06-21, 05:49 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It has been done. But I probably can't find a link to it.
Old 01-06-21, 09:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
So what I recommend is going fixed on one side and freewheel on the other and if you are me probably not switch often. My first Langster that had a freewheel only swapped to fixed and near the end of its life I went to freewheel as my Cinelli Work frame was fixed and then when I got the new Langster that is only fixed (never bothered with the freewheel) and the Work is freewheel as it made more sense. I don't really ever want to swap immediately between the two and if I did it would take the fun out of riding fixed and the fun out of riding freewheel. If this was a great idea it would have stuck around more and you could find it often, the Torpedo from Sachs (now SRAM) and the B.S.A. would be the two options but not a lot in existence though you are more likely to find a Torpedo hub NOS somewhere probably in Germany in some crusty old bike shop but honestly pick one side of the wheel to ride on and enjoy.
Old 01-06-21, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by alo
It has been done. But I probably can't find a link to it.
Wheelchair Wheels With Power Assist from Magic Wheels Go the the video on the right. Those wheels are excellent. Probably the only ones out there that meet the criteria I realized when I watched my friend. I spent a day on a pair at their unveiling. Never got to Barry's (Barry of the video) level of skill(!) but was very impressed.
Old 01-06-21, 10:29 PM
79pmooney

And to the topic, bicycle wheels. I've ridden the week long Cycle Oregon 5 times on my fix gear with a flip-flop hub. Carried a chainwhip so I coult put on a civilized cog for mountain descents. It works. But 2 minute (the flip) or 5 minute (unscrewing the cog) stops gets old. You lose the people you were riding with, you cool down and it's time not riding or sightseeing. And I still didn't have a freewheel. The idea of a 2-speed, flat and hill fixed, plus the freewheel for descents like that DP hub? Cool! Cool! Cool! I love it.

Those who poo-poo it do not have my love of fix gears, my miles and my age. And just because it is relative on this thread, I'll post my logo blown up - taken on a 14% grade, day 3 of Cycle Oregon, a 5000' foot day. I didn't realize that hill was the big one and didn't stop to flip the wheel until it was too late to stop and start in traffic and have it be a good experience. (You hard core fix gear riders get what I am talking about.) So I was muscling a 42-17 n the photo. You can see my forearms tight as a drum. When I touched them with soap later, it hurt! If I had been riding the DP, it wold have been the dream. Easy shift, even under load. Get to the top and just shift to free!

My custom fix gear, designed to run any cog between 12 and 24 teeth on the same length chain. You can see the 23 tooth over on the left. Chainwhip on the top tube.