Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Can I add Future Shock to my Sirrus 4.0?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 05:25 PM
moehoward

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Sirrus 4.0, could this be upgraded to have Future Shock?

Thanks,
Moe

Last edited by moehoward; 11-26-20 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 06:21 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by moehoward
I have a Sirrus 4.0, could this be upgraded to have Future Shock?

Thanks,
Moe
I'm going to guess Yes. But I'm going to have to ask Why?
Your bike looks so Clean and it's designed to give you the performance that it was intended for (with a rigid fork).
By adding a shock you'll change the dynamics of the bike by loading the front end with weight, etc.

If you really need a bike with a front shock....buy another one. You can Never have enough bikes.............
Old 11-27-20, 09:18 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
OP is talking about this: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Not the fork shocks.

OP, Honestly I'm not sure you can add this. I'm going to assume that you can, but would suggest checking measurements and maybe email Specialized customer service for verification. I know they email their customers back very quickly:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ridercareform
Old 11-27-20, 12:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
The only sure way of knowing would be to contact Specialized, either through the dealer or, as suggested above, directly. If nothing else, and even if possible to make the conversion, warranty on frameset would certainly be voided unless Specialized authorized the change.

Tht said, the op's mainframe would accept the conversion; the question is the fork. The FS cartridge mounts into the steerer tube, which itself is much shorter on an FS bike than on the op's, so at minimum the steerer would have to be cut down. The question is whether or not there are other differences (inner diameter, wall thickness, that sort of thing) that might make a non-FS steerer incompatible with FS. A FS bike can accept a different (newer) version of FS, as was the case with mine, but one would really want to know whether a non-FS fork can work, for safety and warranty reasons.

FS 2.0 replaced FS 1.0 (authorized under warranty):

Old 11-28-20, 09:19 PM
moehoward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great insight and detailed information Badger. Given I may need to cut my steerer tube and may add additional weight to my bike, I really should test ride a bike with FS first to be sure this is what I want. From what I have been hearing, I would really want a bike with FS...

Great quote from one of my favorite comedians, SW is a comic genius.
Old 11-28-20, 10:27 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Great insight and detailed information Badger. Given I may need to cut my steerer tube and may add additional weight to my bike, I really should test ride a bike with FS first to be sure this is what I want. From what I have been hearing, I would really want a bike with FS...

Isn't he (SW) just that!

For what it's worth, my experience has been that the Future Shock does exactly what it says on the tin: greatly reduces hand/wrist/shoulder fatigue over rougher surfaces, without affecting handling at all. It was the main reason I purchased my newer bike -- to supplement (and now replace) my much-loved 2010 Sirrus Comp. That bike was very comfortable as I had it set up, but the new one (exactly the same Roubaix Pro 32mm tires @ same pressure) is noticeably less 'jarring'. Caveat: I'm old and arthritic, so I might notice this effect more than others.

My newer bike came with the original FS; mine was defective out of the box. I was fortunate enough to have it replaced with the current top-end version (2.0), but the standard 1.5 version (non-adjustable and not hydraulically damped) works extremely well by all accounts.

Again for what it's worth, the weight penalty is negligible ... I believe the FS assembly (cartridge + the collar that holds everything together) is between 200-250 grams.
Old 11-29-20, 10:14 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

From my brief interest in the Diverge, my understanding is that the fork steerer is slotted as well; a new fork is highly likely. I doubt this is an aftermarket item, but a warranty part. At best, OP might get a black warranty replacement fork.

S answers phone calls quickly, I'd call and ask them.

Another option is a suspension stem, like this one from Redshift. And carbon bars. If seeking comfort, always go carbon bars.
Old 11-29-20, 11:35 AM
moehoward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks DorkDisk. But where did you get diagram? Be very interested in getting any dealer service docs for my bike. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-20, 04:25 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Thanks DorkDisk. But where did you get diagram? Be very interested in getting any dealer service docs for my bike. Thanks again.
This link will download a pdf for the roubaix, which uses a FS.
Old 11-30-20, 11:18 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Don't know anyone who has tried a suspension stem, but it might be an alternative to a future shock. Isn't cheap, but doesn't seem like a future shock would be either. Maybe someone will chime in who has had or knows someone with experience using one of these:
ShockStop Suspension Stem – Redshift Sports
Old 11-30-20, 09:42 PM
moehoward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Don't know anyone who has tried a suspension stem, but it might be an alternative to a future shock. Isn't cheap, but doesn't seem like a future shock would be either. Maybe someone will chime in who has had or knows someone with experience using one of these:
ShockStop Suspension Stem – Redshift Sports
That is pretty cool. Never knew that existed and could be cheaper than a FS upgrade as I may not have to cut my steerer.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-21, 01:45 PM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just got the FS 1.5 on my new Di2 Roubaix. Please be advised that with this very proprietary fork the range of options and bar height is very limited. So much in fact that I have not been able to get the fit that I had with my 10+ year old Roubaix. Since I am senor with neck/shoulder issues this is very disappointing and I am not sure I will be able to ride it. :-( Furthermore due to the proprietary nature of the fork it cannot be added to another bike with a conventional fork/stem (per Specialized dealer). Here is the FS manual.
https://media.specialized.com/suppor...0000134022.pdf