Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Picked up some weird HED discs

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-21, 03:34 PM
epdarks

Bikes: various

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

So the story goes that these wheels came from a HED employee's personal stash. I'm told they are essentially a prototype wheel, or were built during some kind of testing phase for HED. They are track spacing. They do have spokes internally. Possibly made from the wider C2 rim however it could just be the rim tape. Obviously the design is pretty strange. They appear to have a 3 spoke design for the traditional carbon layup and then what I'll call a "kevlar" look for the centers of the 3 spokes. No 2 sides of either wheel are the same. The rear is setup for bolts and the front is setup for skewer.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has seen these before. I'm fully aware that they're ugly. I'm also aware that riding these on the street is ******g stupid. Onto the pics...

Old 01-21-21, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Did you purchase them from a HED employee or is this a second/third/fourth/fifth hand story? It could be true but it certainly looks quite sloppy and I would doubt HED would put their logo decals on something like that. I wouldn't ride them anyway not just the looks but a questionable backstory and them possibly being prototypes just doesn't lead to a wheel I would feel safe on.
Old 01-21-21, 10:16 PM
epdarks

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Did you purchase them from a HED employee or is this a second/third/fourth/fifth hand story? It could be true but it certainly looks quite sloppy and I would doubt HED would put their logo decals on something like that. I wouldn't ride them anyway not just the looks but a questionable backstory and them possibly being prototypes just doesn't lead to a wheel I would feel safe on.
They did not come from a HED employee, but I got them from a local who has been involved in cycling for his entire life and is well connected in the Minneapolis community. According to him, a HED employee saw the wheels at a swap meet and verified they were legitimate HEDs and the story lined up. HED is located just a few minutes from us so it makes sense that the wheels would be nearby. We do end up with a surplus of HED in our used market. Also, our velodrome just got shut down last year so maybe people are purging their track parts.

Could all be a bunch of hot air but it just doesn't feel like a re-badged Chinese wheel, to me anyway. I'll try to run them by an LBS locally to confirm they're at least quality enough to ride. Thanks for your input, it's definitely possible that they're fakes.
Old 01-22-21, 07:49 AM
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
The only place I would roll those wheels would be straight into a dumpster, haha sorry to be like that but it looks like a paper mache project in 3rd grade class. I would never risk my life on those things. Prototype or not who cares, pitch em quick. Just saved your life😎
Likes For Ymerej:
Old 01-22-21, 10:05 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by epdarks
Could all be a bunch of hot air but it just doesn't feel like a re-badged Chinese wheel, to me anyway. I'll try to run them by an LBS locally to confirm they're at least quality enough to ride. Thanks for your input, it's definitely possible that they're fakes.
I'm very intrigued by these. Regarding the spokes inside, from your pictures of the rear wheel it looks like all the spokes run along the inside of the flange, can you tell if they are crossed on the inside? I'm wondering what is being used to transfer the torsional load from the cog to the rim. Traditionally that's the trailing spokes' job but I wonder if there's some kind of hybrid system going on here. All the spokes on one side seems to imply radial lacing which does a terrible job at transferring torque.

If you decide that you don't want to ride them, I'd love to see what's inside!

If anything, you might get some funky hub parts to keep on your desk

Also, regarding their safety, I'm not sure I would trust the front blindly, but as for the rear...I would have a hard time not throwing it on for a quick little spin. It's just the rear wheel, a failure probably won't be that big of a deal... Just wear a helmet and run a front brake

Last edited by abshipp; 01-22-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 12:17 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I'd be cautious just hanging them and using them as wall ornaments. Looks like a lack of QC in that build......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 01-22-21, 02:02 PM
epdarks

Originally Posted by abshipp
I'm very intrigued by these. Regarding the spokes inside, from your pictures of the rear wheel it looks like all the spokes run along the inside of the flange, can you tell if they are crossed on the inside? I'm wondering what is being used to transfer the torsional load from the cog to the rim. Traditionally that's the trailing spokes' job but I wonder if there's some kind of hybrid system going on here. All the spokes on one side seems to imply radial lacing which does a terrible job at transferring torque.

If you decide that you don't want to ride them, I'd love to see what's inside!

If anything, you might get some funky hub parts to keep on your desk

Also, regarding their safety, I'm not sure I would trust the front blindly, but as for the rear...I would have a hard time not throwing it on for a quick little spin. It's just the rear wheel, a failure probably won't be that big of a deal... Just wear a helmet and run a front brake
They do cross, and the spokes to connect to both sides of the hub. Also, the hub has a HED logo. Did my best to take some photos.

I've been told that these carbon discs from HED do not rely on the carbon for any structural strength but rather simply aerodynamic gain. I know it's possible to remove the carbon and end up with a normal functioning aluminum wheel, at least on some of the HED products.

Old 01-22-21, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
They did not come from a HED employee, but I got them from a local who has been involved in cycling for his entire life and is well connected in the Minneapolis community. According to him, a HED employee saw the wheels at a swap meet and verified they were legitimate HEDs and the story lined up. HED is located just a few minutes from us so it makes sense that the wheels would be nearby. We do end up with a surplus of HED in our used market. Also, our velodrome just got shut down last year so maybe people are purging their track parts.

I wouldn't think it was a re-badged Chinese wheel more like a someone made it in their garage. However I would love to hear it is an actual HED wheel and that would be kind of neat but it just looks so bad but maybe that lends legitimacy. I would be careful riding them regardless.
Old 01-23-21, 12:54 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
They do cross, and the spokes to connect to both sides of the hub. Also, the hub has a HED logo. Did my best to take some photos.

I've been told that these carbon discs from HED do not rely on the carbon for any structural strength but rather simply aerodynamic gain. I know it's possible to remove the carbon and end up with a normal functioning aluminum wheel, at least on some of the HED products.
Ah gotcha! What I meant by the spokes on only one side is that the spokes ran only on the inside of the hub flange.

Thanks for the detail
Old 01-28-21, 06:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
I've run HED tri spokes forever and that looks like they could be a proto type design that they did. I though I saw a wheel very close to this design but in a finished state at a tri I was marshaling few year back. It was a tri / disc combo on steroids.