Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Big man coaster brake options?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 09:08 PM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

I've been wanting a taller frame cruiser for general riding Something simple that can ride farm paths and wooded trails. I found an extra large Nishiki Pacific frameset recently that fits the bill. The original wheels are toast, Single wall no name rims with several spokes pulled through the rims and one loose hub flange.

I have two vintage Araya 7X rims, but was wondering which coaster brake hub is best for a big rider, over 350 lbs?
I was told before to get a Shimano CB hub, but that didn't work out too well on my other bike, with two broken axles and a broken hub flange.

I have several BMX era Suntour hubs, but those are for 12 ga spokes. I want to keep the bike period correct, no modern parts.
What would be a good choice in a CB hub for a bike circa 1987?
Also, am I better off running a set of steel rims or using the Araya 7X rims I have here? The final goal is to run a set of vintage style 2.125 Kenda All Terrain tires.
I'm debating whether to run the 12ga spokes and the Suntour hub or to go with a common Bendix hub and 14 ga spokes and letting go of the idea of keeping it all Asian.
Old 02-04-21, 11:01 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
you might get more response in the Classic forum.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone: