Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Random musings upon joining the 21st Century.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-10-21, 11:08 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

Here is my old Voodoo Wazoo gravel bike. Honestly, it's a pretty incredible bike.

I got the new bike bug and finally scratched the itch

​​​​​​On paper, they're actually kinda the same bike. Steel, best with 40mm tires, similar 1x ratios, and only a little more than a pound between the two. Owing almost entirely to the difference in forks.

I feel like I'm in a decent position to actually answer the question about what does a new bike offer over a nice old one.

Sram double tap is brand new to me. I do like that the brake levers are only for brakes. They aren't any faster or more accurate than my bar end shifter (that is to say, both have been essentially perfect to this point)

My impression on the hoods is that modern gravel bikes are designed to be ridden on the hoods. Even through rough and fast stuff. I've always climbed and just ridden around on the hoods and moved to the drops on descents for better control and reach for the brakes. Seems like modern bikes want me to descend on the hoods. It's awfully comfortable and with hydro's, I don't need a stronger braking position. I'll work on integrating this into my riding style but drops surely are still for more than aesthetics.

Speaking of drops. I've never ridden flared or shallow and now I've got both. I'm all over the bars deciding where to put my hands. I'm paralyzed with choice. I think I may add10mm to the stem. Probably will also adjust the reach on the levers to get a long stroke before engagement. This will take a bit to get right, especially in the winter.

Power transfer is fantastic. Between the carbon crank, outboard bearings, and thru axle, it actually surprised me. This is a giant leap forward and it's certainly no surprise that the industry has gone this way.

Descents are going to be fast! I did my second fastest time down a known pile of switchbacks. On an unknown bike, still not totally dialed, and with icy spots. It doesn't actually feel fast but the numbers are. I'm actually pretty excited to see what it's going to do. I think it's the long reach fork and the brakes.

Overall impression...
Well, it's light, fast, quiet, pretty. I'll keep it. The old one rides like an old friend but isn't as fast. I also have come to realize that the Voodoo was ahead of it's time. I don't think I could make many comparisons if I had some 32mm and short wheelbase CX bike.
Likes For rosefarts: