Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

More Upright Road or Gravel Bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 01:43 PM
Kogaman5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have developed Arthritic Elbows and can't stay on the drops for long periods. I would like to find a road or gravel bike, where I have about a 15% lean when on top of the drops and 30% - 40% when I am in the drops. Thus probably a bike with a shorter reach and a taller head tube. Would like to spend around $1500 - $2000, aluminum/steel frame is good, maybe a softer carbon front fork. Am about 5' 10.5" so maybe a 54 or 55cm frame. Either disc or rim brakes. Most of my riding is on paved surfaces.
Old 01-22-21, 04:33 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
The diamondback haanjo models don't look too bad, e.g., https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik.../haanjo-4-4482

I've got a black mountain cycles mcd, which is very upright but likely to be outside of your price range when built up. https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/mcd-frames/
Old 01-22-21, 04:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I don't know about your price range but the bikes with an upright type fit are the Trek Domane and the BMC Roadmachine. Gravel bikes like the Cannondale Topstone or Trek ALR Checkpoint are also more upright.
Old 01-22-21, 05:59 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Kogaman5
I have developed Arthritic Elbows and can't stay on the drops for long periods. I would like to find a road or gravel bike, where I have about a 15% lean when on top of the drops and 30% - 40% when I am in the drops. Thus probably a bike with a shorter reach and a taller head tube. Would like to spend around $1500 - $2000, aluminum/steel frame is good, maybe a softer carbon front fork. Am about 5' 10.5" so maybe a 54 or 55cm frame. Either disc or rim brakes. Most of my riding is on paved surfaces.
I suspect you won't find a stock drop bar bike that will put you that upright. But you can get a high-rise stem to raise the bars a couple inches.

Google "high rise stem".
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-22-21, 06:04 PM
big john

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
One thing that really helps is when buying a NEW bike, be sure to have the assembler leave the "fork tube uncut". It will add a little height to the hb's. I did it on my last build. Got a few spacers but more upright and comfortable. Doing 100 miles on a comfortable bike is much better than doing it on a bike set up to impress others with the racer look.
I asked about this at a BMC dealer a couple weeks ago and he said most bikes come with the steer tube cut. I think most forks have come with 300mm steer tubes before cutting.
Old 01-22-21, 06:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I think your quest is for bars with a very large drop.
Old 01-22-21, 06:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
One thing that really helps is when buying a NEW bike, be sure to have the assembler leave the "fork tube uncut". It will add a little height to the hb's. I did it on my last build. Got a few spacers but more upright and comfortable. Doing 100 miles on a comfortable bike is much better than doing it on a bike set up to impress others with the racer look.
You just need to make sure the steerer is cut no longer than the manufacturer’s recommendation. That’s generally 30-35 mm of stack between the stem and headset. If it’s too long it can lead to catastrophic failure of the steerer, which obviously can be a really serious safety issue......it’s better to use a stem with more rise than a steerer that is too long.

Last edited by jppe; 01-23-21 at 03:25 PM.
Likes For jppe:
Old 01-31-21, 03:01 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
As I’ve reached 60 and though in better shape than many my age...... I’m still 60🙁
I have been putting extended stems on a few of my bikes just so I can continue to enjoy riding them. On my Orbea Terra gravel bike I went with a simple and inexpensive steer tube extension that works wonderfully.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 01-31-21, 08:37 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
My comfort/gravel/utility machine is my Schwinn mountain bike (see signature), with perpendicular extensions on the ends of the regular Ritchey mountain bike bars. These give me a much-needed additional hand position with the wrist-neutral axial rotation provided by drop bars. Best of all worlds, and it's even Team USA red, white, and blue.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-01-21, 01:45 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
edit: Welcome to BF 50+ @Kogaman5

Pavement rides, rim brakes, steel frame acceptable, short top tube.

Handlebars called short and shallow should not be overlooked, regardless of the drop bar bike you choose.

If you can swing your leg over a level top tube, then I would look at the used bike market for half your price. A quill stem Nitto Technomic (?), allows the bars to be raised several inches. Or spend the money saved on better tires/riding shorts/shoes/gloves/bar tape.

Or size up a bit and enjoy a tall head tube.

6'1" on a 62cm frame.

Here's an example of a Nitto Technomic stem on a vintage gravel ready upright rider, with easy step thru..
This is a project test set-up that got changed to shorter upright stem with upright bars.

Price = waaaaaaaay below your target. Find one in Reynolds 531 tubing with lighter weight for a few $$$ more.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-01-21 at 02:15 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-01-21, 02:56 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
both of course
Old 02-01-21, 05:13 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Another idea that would give you 30mm more height is the Surly Truck Stop Bar with it's built in 30mm rise.
Likes For Blues:
Old 02-01-21, 07:31 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Rivendell Roadini has a pretty high stack. Not sure about the reach. Never seen a picture of one where the bars are lower than the saddle. With a Nitto Technomic you can get the bars up even higher and have a nice upright riding position and realistic access to the drops.
Old 02-01-21, 07:55 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I can offer this adjustable stem. It worked for my GF. https://www.amazon.com/FOMTOR-Adjust.../dp/B07QRPVKKL
Old 02-01-21, 09:31 PM
big john

Originally Posted by bargo68
Rivendell Roadini has a pretty high stack. Not sure about the reach. Never seen a picture of one where the bars are lower than the saddle. With a Nitto Technomic you can get the bars up even higher and have a nice upright riding position and realistic access to the drops.
With 6 inches of stem sticking up there! The last quill stem bike I had got one of those Nitto stems the last time I used it. I sold it last summer. Hope I don't regret that.
Old 02-14-21, 09:20 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
I don't think I have that problem yet, but I would look toward Rivendell. I don't think they are in that price range, but some people sell theirs.
Old 02-14-21, 08:18 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
As I’ve reached 60 and though in better shape than many my age...... I’m still 60🙁
I have been putting extended stems on a few of my bikes just so I can continue to enjoy riding them. On my Orbea Terra gravel bike I went with a simple and inexpensive steer tube extension that works wonderfully.
Try a stem riser like Tomm did. I have them on two bikes and they work well. They are about $20-$25. If it does what you need, you save the cost of a new bike. If it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks.
Old 02-14-21, 09:27 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Another option would be to get a bike, and replace the fork with that carbon fiber one you wanted. A new fork will come with the steerer tube uncut.
Old 02-14-21, 10:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Adding stem spacers and a riser stem is effectively increasing the frame's stack. You want to start with a frame with maximum stack. It's a little tedious to find, but the information is available. Bikes marketed as gravel, adventure, all-road or endurance tend to have more stack, but not always.

From there, your options are spacers and riser stem for more increase, or go with a French fit. which essentially means buy a taller frame than normal. With sloping top tubes, that's even easier. This effectively lowers your saddle with respect to the bars. Taller frames will have a little more reach, which you might need to compensate for with a shorter stem.

I can't tell you what bike to buy; there are too many preferences and options.
Old 02-14-21, 10:14 PM
big john

He might not be coming back.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-15-21, 01:20 PM
kc4sox

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I simply converted my road bike to flat bars. I wish I’d done it years ago !
Old 03-17-21, 12:10 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
The Salsa Vaya has a short reach and high stack for their sizes. And they're pretty affordable and readily available on the used market. (maybe not the used market right now, but generally.)
Likes For 5teve:
Old 03-21-21, 07:57 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Have you considered a flat bar bike?

Someone above suggested a Rivendell and I think they make interesting bikes (I own one for the record). Depending on the model they have long reach so a sweptback bar is needed but they also have a quill stem. Also someone else pointed out, they are out of your budget range.

In a more modern realm Specialized make a flat bar gravel bike. The stack on the medium is 32 mm bigger than my Domane endurance bike. So it might get you in the range you need. Plus it is in your budget.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...ext=96220-5602

Hope you find something that works for you.
Old 03-21-21, 09:11 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I have an arthritic shoulder that I'm putting off having replaced, so essentially the same problem. I bought a Trek FX and the adjustable stem riser that deadgrandpa links to, but at the same time I realized that the pain was proportional to the exact angle of my hands on the bars, which had the effect of rotating my arm and changing the contact within the joint. As sort of an experiment after considering all of the alternatives I bought a cheap set of butterfly bars, which offered infinite opportunities in that regard, and they are working so well I'm keeping them. The thing about them that I like is that when one placement starts hurting I can move to another, and there are lots. One of my favotite locations is on the front (close) outside curves, putting my hands rotated inwards 45 degrees (little finger up, thumb down) shich turns my elbows outwards. I can't ride that way forever, but it's very relieving of the pain. A simpler solution would have been bullhorn bars. I also discovered that the pain is relieved when my hands are closer, so I put the brakes right at the ends of the bars, inwards.

If you find that your pain is connected to rotation of the arm or hand location, some similar approach might be helpful for you. My bars cost me $25 on Amazon, and as I said, if I were style conscious, knowing what I know now, bullhorn bars would do the job in my particular case and be less dorky, but I won't bother to change.

In my particular case, the flat bars that came with the bike were exactly the wrong thing to have. I had initially considered getting flat bars with some additional back sweep, but now realize that wouldn't have worked for me. YMMV

Last edited by mdarnton; 03-21-21 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 03:17 PM
gravelcrazy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting discussion. This season I replaced an aging Giant Escape Flatbar commuter ( Small size ) with a 48" Specialized Synaspe roadie and a Felt 54" VR40 drop bar kinda gravel bike. Both fit well despite the differences in sizes, but I have back pain after the ride with the Specialized and lesser pain with the Felt. Had no pain with the flatbar escape. Go figure. May get another flat bar bike and sell of the SPecialized, but I love the looks of both bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.