Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor Cycling BT Speed Sensor - Apple Watch

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 01:10 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

Whenever I use the fork mount with my rollers I make use of a BLE/Ant+ speed sensor on the rear hub to send data to my Cateye iPhone App and in turn to my Padrone Smart Cycling Computer. I have paired the sensor to both the Cateye Cycling App and to the Padrone Smart.

I would like to be able to do something similar for my Wife when she rides the fork mount, but I would like the data to display on her Apple Watch as she doesn't have a BT cycling computer. My understanding is that I will need an iPhone app that can read the BT sensor and work with the Apple Watch.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of Apple Watch setup? thx.
Old 02-16-21, 02:42 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
I don't have any experience with what you're trying to do, however here's a link with some apps that may work: https://www.wareable.com/apple/best-...ling-apps-5639
Old 02-16-21, 02:57 PM
gkamieneski

Thanks. That articles focus is on outdoor cycling. There was one app that mentioned bluetooth sensors but it said the iPhone was required as well as the Apple Watch.
Old 02-16-21, 07:30 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I honestly think you're going to wind up frustrated. CatEye's apps are not well regarded, and I am thinking that you are maxing out the capabilities of your system's items.
Old 02-16-21, 07:35 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I honestly think you're going to wind up frustrated. CatEye's apps are not well regarded, and I am thinking that you are maxing out the capabilities of your system's items.
Actually it looks like it's only the Cateye App and Wahoo Fitness App that still allows third party BLE sensors. It works well for myself that way with my Cateye Padrone Smart and a Moofit BLE/Ant+ speed sensor, but now I am looking for an App that my Wife can use with her Apple Watch and a BLE sensor. I'm thinking that in theory she should be able to go without a cycle computer and just use the Apple Watch.
Old 02-20-21, 02:24 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Well, I just think you're trying to make something happen that just isn't smart. Electronics are purpose-built, and an Apple watch is not really designed to do a good job prioritizing data streams and capturing them. Bike computers are, what, $200?

I am spendy on 'things,' and have wide variety of toys and tchotchkes. As the decades wind by, I find that purpose-built things just tend to work best.